64-Bit Change

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

64-Bit Change

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Hmmm, looks like the next jump up in processor power is starting:

AMD Unveils 64-Bit processor
Intel's forthcoming 64-bit Itanium and Xeon chips will not be backward-compatible with 32-bit applications.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

They had a big AMD infomercial on TechTV yesterday talking about this...If I ever get money, I might consider upgrading my computer...Then again, the only things I do on the computer are illustrations for children's books...And that doesn't take much processing power...
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

It maybe there but it will be a while before it becomes the norm or anything since like it says, not backwards compatible...
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

I doubt I'll get it any time soon because I'd have to get a new motherboard too. Also by the time I need to upgrade, there might be something better from Intel.

PS JACK DETH get that fatass aikido bastard out of your sig and avatar. I fucking barfed when I saw him, so there's five bucks I lost because I had a big omelette for breakfast. D:
fuck
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Only Intel's chips aren't backwards compatable.
Wired News wrote:Like Apple's G5s, AMD's chips happily run 32-bit applications and operating systems, though they won't deliver their most significant performance benefit until software is rewritten for the 64-bit architecture.
Literacy is overated.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Jack_Deth wrote:It maybe there but it will be a while before it becomes the norm or anything since like it says, not backwards compatible...
You can say that again, they've had 64 bit computer chips since the early 90s. Digital, a computer company that was bought by Compaq (which was later bought by Hewlet Packard) had a series of computers called the "alpha" series which were 64 bit. My dad was with all of those companies, and the last I heard the Alpha systems are still in use under the Compaq name. They were indeed a helluvalot faster than the 32 bit machines we all use, but, they were also a lot harder to program for, and there aren't really too many programs for them, at least not yet. If they start making 64 bit chips for anything other than high end business applications though, we probably won't have to wait too long before we get some good stuff out of them.
Our Host!