Questions about the Skill system in Fallout...

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
sztupy
SDF!
SDF!

Questions about the Skill system in Fallout...

Post by sztupy »

Does anyone know how the skills are converted into "real-life stats"
I'll explain: for example... if you've got a small guns skill of 25% how does FO calculate the hitting cahnce, critical chance, etc... IO currently uses a skill-independent (and very lame) conversion, and those things are really need a cleanup... And not only the guns... consider the Lockpick, or Steal skill, or how does the Stength affect your HtH dammage, etc...

Hope you can help me out with this...
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

My understanding of this is rather limited, but here's what i've pieced together so far:

It's something similar to a ToHit roll like you see in tabletop roleplaying games.

If a targeted shot is done, the entire weapon skill seems to be multiplied before the attack (60% chance to hit the eyes means Weapon Skill * 60%).

The opponent's Armor class is deducted directly from your weapon skill (ie, if they have an AC of 17, you have 17% less on your weapons skill for the attack). Note also that the ammunition a shooter is using effects the target's AC.

And then, somehow, for each tile away from your character there is a penalty - and when you hit the range limit you simply can't attack (so it's definatly possible to have 95% ToHit chance all the way to the end of the weapon's range). I'm guessing it's about 5% each tile, with a greater amount at night.

Recently i've also uncovered "weapon perks" that influence range... and it seems that many weapons in FO1/2 (such as the plasma rifle and hunting rifle) have a perk on them that skews their range in favor of the shooter.

The type of weapon also seems to influence it's accuracy pattern - since melee weapons with a range greater than 1 tile seem to get a bigger loss in accuracy for the same skill level.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

As for the lockpick and other skill rolls...

Those seem to be like the same kinds of skill checks you see in a tabletop RPG.

Depending on the difficulty of the object you're trying to crack (or steal, or unlock, etc) it sets a bar for a certain amount you need to roll. By having a larger skill level, you have a better chance of winning the roll.

But there's also a chance of critically failing - if you roll excessivly low, a lockpick skill jams, a traps skill sets something off, etc. Using lockpicks enhances the lockpick skill by 20% (if that helps).

As for sneak skill, I dunno exactly how that one works. I guess it ends up being a perception check for other guys, and a matched sneak check for every time.
Our Host!