HALO for PC?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

HALO for PC?

Post by iohkus »

I haven't played Halo for xbox but i know this game should be... good?

but i'm wondering, with the added internet support and new maps will there be any sort of support for clans/squads? as in clan vs. clan with a sort of ladder / tournament system or whatever?

right now it seems like it's going to be giant fragfest with vehicles, which is still good but that shit gets boring unless u got support for clans.

werd? :arrow:

chrome looks good too
bey.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Wherever there is Team mode or CTF mode, there will always be clans. And if there is some sort of mission based mode, aka "assault" maps, there will definately be clans.

Even internet games that don't support Team play have clans.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

yeah, but it'd be nice if microsoft put money into setting up a clan registration database + ladder like EA/westwood did with Renegade.

like WarCraft 3 clan ladder w/ clan decay.

blizzard knows its shit. arhg
bey.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

They know their shit cause all their "fans" are avid video game players that wouldn't hesitate to waste five hours a day playing their crappy games. lol
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

THATS DEBATEABLE.
bey.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Are you one of those people iohkus??

I wouldn't be surprized if they charge money to play Halo2.

I know I would do much much better with a keyboard and mouse than I ever could with a crappy controller.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

no, i'm one of the other people.

i didn't know halo2 was going to be massively multiplayer.
bey.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Mmm. Halo 2... I hope the co-operative lives up to the first game. Pity the flood won't be back, but apparently there's an equivalent; 'The Brutes', who fight both the Humans and Covenant.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Halo should have been on the computer in the first place. Bill Gates gave bungie mucho dinero to get it as X-Box's flagship title. I think Bill should pull out of consoles (X-Box is more like an aging computer now) and invest in making the computer a more main-stream gaming platform. Looks like project "Longhorn" is giving games a higher priority, it's a step in the right direction.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Yea really, with today's tech advances in computers it makes consoles obsolete quickly... unless they could have some kind of upgrade deal, but even then you would really just have a computer.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Strapon2 wrote:Yea really, with today's tech advances in computers it makes consoles obsolete quickly... unless they could have some kind of upgrade deal, but even then you would really just have a computer.
Yet console games have a set spec sheet, the developers know exactly what their working with. Even though computer have better specs the developers have to make due to all the variations in hardware, which generally degrades the graphic quality. In most reality console and computers are on par in the graphic departments now, with computers starting to gain the edge.

I have a geforce 3 like the xbox and over twice as much ram and cpu speed, yet is Halo and Halo 2 going to slow down on my comp? You bet. On the xbox? not as likely.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Strapon2 wrote:Yea really, with today's tech advances in computers it makes consoles obsolete quickly... unless they could have some kind of upgrade deal, but even then you would really just have a computer.
That's Moore's Law. Computer chips double in capacity every 18 months. Not actually a law, more of a rule of thumb, but...

Yeah, it kind of sucks that new console systems come out every couple years and the developers abandon the old ones. The games for them don't even come close to their full potential until over a year after they come out and the game developers get a feel for the console. I'd perfer it if a company stuck with their products for five years or so and kept making games for it, but that's not the way it works. I kind of wish it was like the old days where Nintendo had a monopoly on the console systems and supported the NES for years. But not really.

Anyway, Halo kicks ass. It kicked ass on the XBox and it looks even sweeter for PC.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

satanisgreat wrote:Yeah, it kind of sucks that new console systems come out every couple years and the developers abandon the old ones. The games for them don't even come close to their full potential until over a year after they come out and the game developers get a feel for the console.
True enough, I played "ridge racer evolution XVI special rally majinga edition version 4" or something on PlayStation some years ago, it had the original Ridge Racer on the CD too, that game looked like utter shit when compared to the new one. The last games of PS showed pretty well what the console was capable of.... but then it was pretty much outdated already.

I think the big turn of events was the arrival of "3D cards" like Voodoos, in '96 or '97 or something... consoles have had trouble matching the graphical quality of PC games ever since, and even if one XBox game does look better, PC will have five better looking games in half a year.
DJG
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by DJG »

What I like about X-Box is the fact that everyone play with the same specs.
Halo on X-Box is great, even with the controller.
You know that everyone is using a controller too,
So you know for sure that if you win, you are the best.
If you loose, it's not the frame rate of the other player that gives him an advantage.

I THINK the majority of the people who are blasting Halo for the controller haven't played the game.
Halo is not about killing 30 guys in 10 sec.
It's not only about speed, but strategy.
If you like strategy and team play, you will like halo even if you have to use a controller, which in fact is not as bad as some people think.
Give it a try.
4 xbox, 4 tv, 16 controllers, 4 halo, and you are ok for 36 hours of non-stop fun :)
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

It's not only about speed
LOL UR FUNNY D00D

I don't think if someone else having a better keyboard makes much difference? It's just an excuse for fag00t n00b0swdahdg
:chew:
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

There are a few differences between playing multiplayer FPSs on console when compared to online on a PC.

1) You can see who you're playing against so you know it's not some fat 12 year old or rich kid with nothing better to do than sit at home and play the game on the computer his mommy bought him. Usually you're playing against your friends on a console, so you more or less have the same schedule/playing time as the guy you're playing against.

2) You know the person you're playing against isn't cheating.

3) There is a big difference between someone playing on a 500 mhz machine with a wheel mouse with a bunch of gunk stuck in the wheel using a magazine as mousepad, with a 56k dial up on a Jewno account (me), and a guy with a 3ghz machine with a superprecison optical mouse, and a DSL or cable hook up.

4) If you get pissed off, you can always just fight the guy sitting next to you on the couch. If you want to fight the guy online, you have to go through the trouble of finding out where they live, stalking them and tracking them down, and probably buying plane tickets.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

I've found a lesser method of revenge... though it only works on children or the particularly gullible. Just convince them you're stalking them. It's more entertaining than it sounds, I've actually managed to do it well a few timed.

I'd enjoy console multiplayer 3x as much if only there was a cheap alternative to split-screen... Everything is squashed... and cramped, even on a nice size widescreen TV.

And yes... Halo is all about strategy.. which is surpising from it's simplicity... Me and me best friend would be fighting covenant indoors on co-op mode, just calling out orders to grenade various area's, and systematically wiping them out, really nicely... And occasionally smacking each other in the face with the butt of the rifle, which is very satisfying, as it makes a meaty noise and usually kills them in one hit.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

I beat the game on Legendary. It's real easy in co op. Once someone starts taking damage you go back to the spawning point and let him die and respawn, so he comes back fresh. It still took like four days of hardcore playing, but it was worth it for the new ending.

I really never got into the Deathmatches, though, because I kicked all of my friends asses and they'd get pissed at me. I was like the first one of us to get an XBox, so...
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Sounds like me and Future Cop LAPD on the playstation (best PS game ever made :P)... I've only ever been beaten once, when I was half asleep and my head was nodding, out of probably 100 games.
DJG
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by DJG »

If you are looking for a new challenge after you finished Halo in Legendary, try to do each level at Legendary BUT without dying one time.

I did Pillar of Automn (1), Halo (2) and Silent Cartographer (4). I skipped Thruth and Reconciliation (3) for a good reason that everyone who played will agree with me : This level is TOO much difficult :)
Megatron wrote:
It's not only about speed
LOL UR FUNNY D00D

I don't think if someone else having a better keyboard makes much difference? It's just an excuse for fag00t n00b0swdahdg
You are right, there is not MUCH difference, but like you subtle said, there is one.
In my book however, a P3 500 with GF2 and a P4 2Ghz with GF4 make a big difference. A cable connexion and a 56k connexion too.
;)
Our Host!