HALO for PC?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
SigmaHex
SDF!
SDF!

Post by SigmaHex »

Killzig: You forgot to thank /SigmaHex/ for the news you ass ninja.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

wtf, how do u play the beta online? all i get is the fucking stupid single play campaigns

the single play is fucking mindless, so far as I've played, if the multiplay sucks and is a straight up death match ala ut2k3 then fuck this.

deathmatch is boring, why don't developers understand this? CTF gets boring too,

you need to have base to base combat, like uprising, renegade, savage etc..

arhg.
bey.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Mindless deathmatches are ok with me when I want to play them, but they tend to get boring a lot faster than more objective based games. Why waste money on Halo when you can pay $50.00 for Half-Life 2 which is basically four excellent games in one. By that I mean that they've been working on the 3 Valve sponsored mods, which are TFC, C-S, and DoD to get them out fairly soon after the release of H-L 2. Like Halo, H-L 2 will also have vehicle capabilities (not to mention how modders might use them) where as Halo only has a set group of vehicles and the same buildings time after time after time.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

have u played Renegade's online mode?

it's basically TFC/Counter-Strike + Vehicles/Tanks + actual bases + AI controlled resource management

it's like an RTS except each unit is controlled by a person.

that's the wave of the future, S2 games just released Savage which is basically War Craft FPS/RTS hybrid

THE FUCKING WAVE OF THE FUTURE DEATH MATCH SUCKS ARGH ALPAH SUCK1>
bey.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Go play Natural-selection. It is like Starcraft in FPS form. I think it is the best mod I've played for HL.
I only played the renagade demo... hella lag, pretty fun though, good concept.

Team based=loads of fun that keeps you changing your tactics, skills, etc...
deathmatch=mindless short-term fun (for me at least)
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

yeah, the renegade demo turned away about 1/2 the people who had interest in the game

thanks to EA's great marketing and PR the game went nowhere

but i was in renegade beta so i got to play the game on EA servers which had little lag, and when the game came out patches fixed most lag problems and when clan games got underway the game was fun for a couple of years until westwood ranking and clan support stopped, bugs and exploits and eventually aimbots killed it.

but yeah what? wait. ok.
bey.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

iohkus wrote:have u played Renegade's online mode?

it's basically TFC/Counter-Strike + Vehicles/Tanks + actual bases + AI controlled resource management

it's like an RTS except each unit is controlled by a person.

that's the wave of the future, S2 games just released Savage which is basically War Craft FPS/RTS hybrid

THE FUCKING WAVE OF THE FUTURE DEATH MATCH SUCKS ARGH ALPAH SUCK1>
Reread my post, I never said that I hate anything that's not Deathmatch, I just said that I like to play deathmatch games sometimes. Natural Selection is one of the funnest mods out there, the only considerable flaw is the aging graphics engine it utilizes.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

...the only considerable flaw is the aging graphics engine it utilizes.
And the fact that the aliens basically own the marines 90% of the time. There's some serious balance issues that need to be dealt with.

But other than that, it's a damn fun mod.

Halo PC comes out Sept. 30th. Hopefully my new PC parts will come in the mail by then. I'm getting an AMD 2800+, new motherboard, and 512 RAM. I just need to decide what motherboard to get.

Halo will keep me going until HL2. I'll probably even play it longer than that. Halo is one of the funnest multiplayer games I've played.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

i just played ctf and it's like ut2k3 with a warthog, i don't know, i'm just not into straight ctf/deathmatch i need tactics over twitch.

it's fun, i guess, as far as that type of game goes, it doesn't get any better, devs are going to actually have to fucking evolve the fps genre
bey.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

...I thought Halo was one of the more tactical FPSs?

Call me crazy.

If you want tactical try Tribes. I recommend the first over the second. The physics are a lot bouncier and funner.

Anyway, Halo is a LOT better than that overrated POS BF1942.

I'm so goddamn tired of WW2 games it's not even funny. Call to Duty or whatever that crap is can suck it.

Can you believe they're coming out with yet ANOTHER Medal of Honor expansion pack?

Jesus, why won't it just die off already? The Medal of Honor series is terrible.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Funny enough, Call of Duty is about the only well done one I've played--the demo was better than every goddamn WWII based shooter I've tried. And they keep doing it because WWII is an interesting period in history with lots of cool weaponry and Krauts ready to be shot in the face.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
Bridgeburner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Bridgeburner »

Neon Dingo wrote: Jesus, why won't it just die off already? The Medal of Honor series is terrible.
your just saying that because you suck at them :P

i played the Call of Duty demo and it was kinda cool. AI of your team and enemy's was very good.

Never played Halo on schmixbox, can't wait to pwn some noobs with it on my trustworthy pc.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

i don't know, Halo is too fucking fast to be considered tactical

it's too arcadey, if it's slowed down a little and the warthog doesn't go fucking 300 miles per hour and the steering is binded to keyboard then maybe, and if the game mode included something like base vs. base with destroyable structures then it'd be more strategyishgi.cmg
bey.
SigmaHex
SDF!
SDF!

Post by SigmaHex »

iohkus wrote:wtf, how do u play the beta online? all i get is the fucking stupid single play campaigns

the single play is fucking mindless, so far as I've played, if the multiplay sucks and is a straight up death match ala ut2k3 then fuck this.

deathmatch is boring, why don't developers understand this? CTF gets boring too,

you need to have base to base combat, like uprising, renegade, savage etc..

arhg.
As a command line syntax (or shortcut target) use "-connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and the x's as the IP of the person hosting.

But BEWARE! the netcode is pretty crappy so its quite laggy.
Killzig: You forgot to thank /SigmaHex/ for the news you ass ninja.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

The Gaijin wrote:And they keep doing it because WWII is an interesting period in history with lots of cool weaponry and Krauts ready to be shot in the face.
You're right about that. It being "okay" to shoot aliens and Nazis I think that we'll be seeing WWII shooters from some time to come.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

the next wave though will be playing as an iraqi shooting up american GIs or like french peasants chasing down abrams with pitchforks and cow prods

!Oi SNAP
bey.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Woa, woa, woa... WAIT A MINUTE.

There's a beta of Halo PC out? WHERE?@!?!@??!OMG!?!??#!

... I missed it, didn't I? :cry:
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

no, see the wasteland thread u sack of ... used moist red tampons, for lack of a more creative insult.
bey.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

iohkus wrote:no, see the wasteland thread u sack of ... used moist red tampons, for lack of a more creative insult.
Nice try, you sorry sack of used moist red tampons.

Anyone have the REAL link?
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Max-Violence wrote:Anyone have the REAL link?
uhh, yes...
http://www.duckandcover.net/kreegle/war ... o_beta.vbs
Our Host!