The Holy War-STALKER VS. HALF-LIFE 2.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

The Holy War-STALKER VS. HALF-LIFE 2.

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Who will win?

...stalker of course...
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by InvisibleMonkey »

HL2 will win due to more people knowing about it.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

I would like to refer you to the term: Sleeper-Hit.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Yeah, but HL2 will still win, but STALKER will be better.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

This reminds me of a similar debate about six or seven years ago... most people thought Unreal, which was being made by an existing company people had heard of, was going to be the obvious victor over Half-life, a game made by an upstart company called Valve. Needless to say, Half-life won. I think the same will happen to stalker.
One day...
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

We won't know until the release dates, so let's all just...get along
Irony is a cruel, sadistic bitch.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

I don't even care if it doesn't win. That means less assholes in the various forms of multiplayer. (You know the type. "WTF awper")
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

"No, way you shot me through the wall! Hacker n00b!"

I hate them all, they are stupid, al rifles shoot through the walls...
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Well, wood walls. Don't mistake shooting through stone walls with non-hacking.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, I'm going to buy 'em both, so to me, they're both "t3h w1nn4r."

...but that's just me.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

I agree, they are both great games, I just wonder which one will come out on top gameplay-wise...
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Yeah I will buy them both. The concept of Stalker is ofcourse FAR better, let's hope both games have awesome gameplay, smooth graphix and replayability.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Silver wrote:Yeah I will buy them both. The concept of Stalker is ofcourse FAR better, let's hope both games have awesome gameplay, smooth graphix and replayability.
Damn right, I've never seen anything based on this ever, other than the book and the movie. Terrific concept indeedy.
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

You've seen the movie and read the book ?
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Haven't seen the movie... It's impossible to find it anywhere on aZaA-Kay...

HEY! Could anyone be interested in doing illegal activities on aZaA-Kay having to do with ipping-ray VDs-day PM me? I fecking want that movie.

EDIT:Pig Latin, the editor's choice.
Last edited by Nuclear Gandhi on Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Nuclear Gandhi wrote:HEY! Could anyone be interested in doing illegal activities on KaZaA having to do with ipping-ray VDs-day PM me? I fecking want that movie.
::Siren:: EH!!! EH!!! EH!!!
--the word: KAZAA has been detected!!! doom will follow...

Let's say: (my views)
Graphics--they both have supoibe graphics. Don't know a lot about stalker's charactor models, but as far as I see, stalker has great outdoors with awsome Foilage(yes, foilage) but HL2 does have some wicked stuff too.

Physics--both seem to have great physics, ragdolls, whatnot... stalker boasts "shockwaves," don't know about this in HL2.

Story--don't really know HL2's story other than [aliens?] are taking over this city with a huge fortress thing... little is known. Stalker is about you... going into the "zone" to...?salvage stuff? and sell it outside the zone, don't know any specifics about charactors, progression or anything.

Setting--I think that Stalker has an exellent setting, chernoble. HL2 only seems to be in that city... and around that city, not too fantastic.

Atmosphere--Stalker! definately. If HL2 showed more indoors stuff, or farther in the game when you will undoubtedly go into the "combine fortress" in the middle of the city it would be easier to determine how it will set up its coolness and fearfactor.

AI--Stalker says it has great AI... but the videos show nothing awsome.
HL2 has some sweet AI based on that trailer thing, shooting through windows randomly, bashing down doors, etc... Stalker needs to show more to be able to judge it.

Design--HL2 has some pretty sweet ideas... some are from the origional, but little specifics have been disclosed (weapons, other monsters besides "ant-lions" and headcrabs/zombies. and those soldiers) Stalker looks to have some neato guns, and those mutants look promising.

Gameplay--HL2 will probably be pretty cool, coupled with its awsome physics and ability to use things in the world for your advantage (ie the table blocking the door). Stalker looks pretty great... more of a stealthy survivalist approach to things, I find that to be cool.

Mods--HL2 says it's twice as modable as HL. Stalker says nothing about mods.

Hype--HL2 has lots of hype... Stalker has less hype, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have followers. (ie, me)

Sleeper-hit-factor--Stalker has potential, it will find its crowd.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

About mods...the developers are still considering whether to make modding tools or not.

I agree about the A.I., until I see some battles, I'm not making no judgements foo'.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Just watching the long HL2 movie makes me feel like you could get comsumed by that fake world... I want to see a Roleplaying Mod, where you be you and just do stuff. (sounds corny, but it would actually be pretty neat with that awsome world they have created/allow to be created with their engine)

The whole stalker game feel and idea are really appealing to me as a fallout/doomsday/nucleardestruction fan.
But remember how cool the multiplayer will be, the clans will really be clans.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Strapon2 wrote:Just watching the long HL2 movie makes me feel like you could get comsumed by that fake world... I want to see a Roleplaying Mod, where you be you and just do stuff. (sounds corny, but it would actually be pretty neat with that awsome world they have created/allow to be created with their engine)

The whole stalker game feel and idea are really appealing to me as a fallout/doomsday/nucleardestruction fan.
But remember how cool the multiplayer will be, the clans will really be clans.
Yes, it will be terrific. What I am wondering though, is if in Co-op mode with 32 players across the internet, would you be able to kill each other in the zone and fight AGAINST instead of cooperating with them?
InvisibleMonkey
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Yeah I thinkt he movie was only released in thr Ukraine, maybe I'm not sure though.

And most likely it will be like the game, but with more people.
Our Host!