General PC Hardware/Software Troubleshooting

Make dumb suggestions so we can ignore them. I'm lovin' it.

Should this thread be here? If so, should it be stickied? Or should it be it's own forum?

No. Don't vote for this solely on the basis of who created it.
63%
Yes, it should be here, but not stickied.
5%
Yes, it should be here, but stickied.
5%
Yes, it should be here, but as its own single forum.
21%
Yes, it should be here, but in the form of two forums: one for hardware, one for software
5%

Total votes: 19

Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

DarkUnderlord wrote:
Kashluk wrote:If you don't know how something works, you shouldn't be doing shit with it, at least not in bigger proportions.
Tell me what operating system you use.

Tell me how often you use this operating system (technically, that'll be whenever you have your computer turned ON).

Now tell me how it works. ;)
I know the basics, how the system channels information bits here and there bla bla, though it's a lot easier to explain in Finnish, because I don't know so many computer terms in English.

Sure, I don't know all - especially because Windows has locked down all the code to be top secret. Of course my opinion works better with things that "have more to do with real life" than computers, like cars or guns for example, but I wouldn't let anyone who doesn't know how to burn a disc, format a hard drive or clean a mouse ( :) ) even close to my computer.

Or would you hand over a rifle to your friend to clean, even if he didn't know how the system worked? I guess not.

Be my guest to use the computer as much as you like, it's none of my business. I'm just trying to point out that saying "it's no use to know about computers" isn't being genius, it's more like being ignorant.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Franz_Schubert wrote:
DarkUnderlord wrote:Your heart beats every day. Do you know how? Do you know WHY?
No, but if I wanted to, I could do about 5 minutes of research and then act like I do.
Great! Take your own advice and you won't need a tech forum.
Kashluk wrote:Be my guest to use the computer as much as you like, it's none of my business. I'm just trying to point out that saying "it's no use to know about computers" isn't being genius, it's more like being ignorant.
Ignoring the fact that you used a hideously bad example (A better example being "Would I let someone who had no idea about computers install all the components for me" in which case the obvious answer is no), I'll just quote yourself:
Kashluk wrote:Yeah, that's true. If software fucks up (and its often if you use windows), Re-load. If hardware fries, time to get a new part. Unless you've got a really good soldering iron and some spare microchips (only applies if you work at the manufacturing plant for the part), you have to replace the entire component.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

If software fucks up, reboot, reinstall, replace.

If hardware fucks up, it usually just needs a bit of finessing to get it just right into it's slot or plug or what have you.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Our Host!