General PC Hardware/Software Troubleshooting

Make dumb suggestions so we can ignore them. I'm lovin' it.

Should this thread be here? If so, should it be stickied? Or should it be it's own forum?

No. Don't vote for this solely on the basis of who created it.
63%
Yes, it should be here, but not stickied.
5%
Yes, it should be here, but stickied.
5%
Yes, it should be here, but as its own single forum.
21%
Yes, it should be here, but in the form of two forums: one for hardware, one for software
5%

Total votes: 19

Killa-Killa
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

General PC Hardware/Software Troubleshooting

Post by Killa-Killa »

Well, today I was looking though my favorite forums, and I noticed something: All but DaC have PC hardware forums/threads! So here's one for DaC. Enjoy!
Some general rules I've seen in the others:
1. This is not a Mac vs. PC argument!
2. This is not a Linux vs Windows argument!
3. Nvidia vs. ATI is allowed, as long as it doesn't turn into a flame-fest.
4. Athlon vs. Intel is allowed, as long as it doesn't turn into a flame-fest.
5. Troubleshooting is allowed, as long as it doesn't turn into a flame-fest.

Moderators/Admins: Obviously I cannot enforce these rules. I would ask you guys to lend a hand, as this can rapidly turn into a flame-fest. If you guys don't want this here, then delete it. If you want to add/remove rules, do so. Of course, if it were created as a forum, I could be a moderator and thus you wouldn't have to deal with it.
KillaKilla's logic:
FOT and FO: BOS weren't FO at all!........... 1. I am nobody
DOGMEAT is God. Never dispute this!........ 2. Nobody is perfect
Up and coming hardware nerd.................. 3. Hence I am perfect
Killa-Killa
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Killa-Killa »

I didn't add this to the first post because the "Poll" option is so finnicky.

What's the best video card for 250$ or less?
Required AGP 8x
Also: This topic could turn toward a debate over whether or not this should be a forum.
KillaKilla's logic:
FOT and FO: BOS weren't FO at all!........... 1. I am nobody
DOGMEAT is God. Never dispute this!........ 2. Nobody is perfect
Up and coming hardware nerd.................. 3. Hence I am perfect
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

If this is a suggestion for a forum it belongs in the Trash Can. Moved there for your convenience.
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

If you have any PC hardware questions, post them and answers will come. DAC is not primarily a hardware community and we have no buisness whatsoever providing a forum dedicated to such discussion. Like you said, every other forum in the world has one, so go discuss it there.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

atoga wrote:I couldn't give a shit about my computer's specs.
Same here I just stick it in and let it do its magic.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Fallout Junkie wrote:
atoga wrote:I couldn't give a shit about my computer's specs.
That's what she said. (rimshot)
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

atoga wrote:
I couldn't give a shit about my computer's specs.
That's pretty sad, all things considering. I mean, would you treat you car the same way? What I mean by that is that you only use it, don't take care of it, don't change the oil/oil filter at all, don't even know why you would NEED to change the oil, much less know where it is or why there is oil in your car, assume "oil" refers to canola oil etc. I could go on here.....
Do you see where I'm going with this similie? The ignorance of some of the users on DAC is astounding, to say the least (Not meant as an insult, only an observation). I mean, you use a computer every day. Would it not behoove you to learn how it works in order to use it to its fullest extent?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I'd rather learn about more important things than my computer. I mean, I could be reading, or socializing or something, rather than taking apart my computer (which is what some people I know do). If I need to know something about it, I have people to ask. And I do know a fair bit about some aspects of computers, and I do use them all the time, but still, why bother? It's pointless. All things considered, I think there are more important things to know. Technical things have never really interested me. I wouldn't call someone ignorant based on one confined aspect of what they know or don't know.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Computers are made to be punched, and kicked, and STABBED.

I'd rather if we won't proclaim ourselves as complete geeks on the forum.
Hello New Jersey
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Screw tech support, if something goes wrong with your computer, just hit it in that "special spot".
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Screw tech support, if something goes wrong with your computer, just hit it in that "special spot".
Yes, that well-known repair method was even used in FO2. Kick it in that *special* spot. Heh. It's never worked for me, but who knows; it might work for you.
I'd rather learn about more important things than my computer. I mean, I could be reading, or socializing or something, rather than taking apart my computer (which is what some people I know do). If I need to know something about it, I have people to ask. And I do know a fair bit about some aspects of computers, and I do use them all the time, but still, why bother? It's pointless. All things considered, I think there are more important things to know. Technical things have never really interested me. I wouldn't call someone ignorant based on one confined aspect of what they know or don't know.
Ah. Well, if you really don't care, I guess that's a good enough reason.* There are also people who are paid to know such things, so I can see why you choose not to learn about it. After all, why bother when your neighbor can do it for you? It's sensible enough. As for me, I'm kind of a DIY guy, so that's why I learned about PCs (that and because tech support is a pain in the ass).

*Not meant as sarcasm.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

if everyone knew how to fix shit tech guys wouldnt be able to make assloads of money.
fixing someones car and telling them 6 things are broken when you only unbend a bent bumper= free money.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:if everyone knew how to fix shit tech guys wouldnt be able to make assloads of money.
fixing someones car and telling them 6 things are broken when you only unbend a bent bumper= free money.
I just wanted to use this thread to test the "Quote the last message" tick box function in the quick reply bit here.

Also notice that my signature is not attached to this message.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

The insides of a computer aren't that complicated either, software fucking up is the most annoying thing on our computers? And usually if you've had the computer a while and for some reason hardware fucks up for no reason, your computers fucked anyway?
:chew:
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

With me, software problems I can deal with, trouble shoot, and fix, but if my hardware breaks, there's nothing I can do, except bitch to the manufacturer and order a new part.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

With me, software problems I can deal with, trouble shoot, and fix, but if my hardware breaks, there's nothing I can do, except bitch to the manufacturer and order a new part.
Yeah, that's true. If software fucks up (and its often if you use windows), Re-load. If hardware fries, time to get a new part. Unless you've got a really good sodering iron and some spare microchips (only applies if you work at the manufacturing plant for the part), you have to replace the entire component.
if everyone knew how to fix shit tech guys wouldnt be able to make assloads of money.
There are a lot of gullible people in the world. Mostly women, but some men too.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

atoga wrote:I'd rather learn about more important things than my computer.
You should really go and tell that to William Gates ;)

Like someone said earlier: if you use something, you should know how it works. The same thing with cars, guns, hi-fi... At least I'm one of those "geeky" types who always need to know how some device works before they can use it. Especially if a malfunction could end up in painful results (like with motorcycles etc.).

If you don't know how something works, you shouldn't be doing shit with it, at least not in bigger proportions.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Bill Gates = not cool. OH NOEZ REVENGE OF THE NERDS D:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Kashluk wrote:If you don't know how something works, you shouldn't be doing shit with it, at least not in bigger proportions.
Tell me what operating system you use.

Tell me how often you use this operating system (technically, that'll be whenever you have your computer turned ON).

Now tell me how it works. ;)

There's also a marked difference between someone who can "plug shit in" to their computer (install a mobo, fan etc), and someone who can actually tell you what all the little bits of electronic thingy-mi-bobs are (diodes, transistors etc..). IE: The difference between "Hmm... I need a new CD-ROM drive because this ones b0rken" and "Okay, the thingy here in the drive has burnt out because of this and that's caused that and I could fix that if I got this part and soldered it in there and if I had a machine shop to do it in but I'll stop there because OH WELL, I NEED A NEW CD-ROM DRIVE ANYWAY" etc...
MurPHy wrote:That's pretty sad, all things considering. I mean, would you treat you car the same way? What I mean by that is that you only use it, don't take care of it, don't change the oil/oil filter at all, don't even know why you would NEED to change the oil, much less know where it is or why there is oil in your car, assume "oil" refers to canola oil etc. I could go on here..... Do you see where I'm going with this similie?
No, I've got NO IDEA where you're going with that similie. I haven't checked my computer recently, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't need any oil, doesn't need washing, doesn't need leaves taken out of the bit in front of the windscreen wipers, doesn't need a new oil filter, doesn't need it's tyre pressure checked or anything else of that nature. When something in a computer dies, it dies. There's usually little warning given prior to the event.
MurPHy wrote:I mean, you use a computer every day. Would it not behoove you to learn how it works in order to use it to its fullest extent?
Your heart beats every day. Do you know how? Do you know WHY?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

DarkUnderlord wrote:Your heart beats every day. Do you know how? Do you know WHY?
No, but if I wanted to, I could do about 5 minutes of research and then act like I do.
Our Host!