Fallout Enforcer previewed by GameSpot

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Fallout Enforcer previewed by GameSpot

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

<strong>[ -> Preview]</strong>

Read the uncut version <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/fal ... tml">right here</a>, or enjoy the <i>annotated version</i> below:
<br><blockquote><i>Vivendi Universal recently dropped by the GameSpot offices to show off a new build of the Xbox version of Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.</i></blockquote>This is why I lock my door.
<br><blockquote><i>The fact that the game runs on a modified version of the Snowblind engine used for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance should give you a pretty good idea of what you can expect from the gameplay. </i></blockquote>The fact this is in every single hands on preview ever makes me wonder if this isn't a requirement set forth by Vivendi PR people.<blockquote><i>At the beginning of the game, you can select from one of three characters, each with his or her own unique attributes. For example, Nadia is proficient with ranged weapons and can fire two pistols at once, but she's pretty weak when it comes to melee combat.</i></blockquote><b>Stereotype #1:</b> Large breasted, nimble minx.<blockquote><i>Conversely, the tank character in the game can use all the heaviest weapons and sustain more damage than the other characters. However, he can't use two weapons at once.</i></blockquote><b>Stereotype #2:</b> Large black man with large weapons.<blockquote><i>The third character, Kane, is the only nonhuman of the group--he's a ghoul, which is basically a horribly disfigured version of human. Because of his physical attributes, Kane is resistant to damage caused by radiation and can carry most of the weapons in the game, but he can't take quite as much punishment as the other characters. </i></blockquote>Oh boy, a minigun toting ghoul! Named <b>Kane</b>! <blockquote><i>There are around 33 weapons in the game, ranging from spiked gloves and handguns to rocket launchers and laser rifles.</i></blockquote>Due to budget cuts, the <i>over 50 unique weapons</i> feature has been replaced with the <i>around 33 weapons</i> feature. Imagine that, and action shooter based on a deep, rich CRPG that has about a third the weapons!<blockquote><i>You can buy these items from shopkeepers all throughout the game, but many of them can simply be picked up after you've killed an enemy or found in boxes and car trunks.</i></blockquote>Oh boy, the thrill of crate looting!<blockquote><i>In addition, characters can be equipped with different skills taken directly from previous Fallout games. For example, the sadist skill gives you health for killing enemies, while the man's best friend skill equips you with a canine friend that will attack enemies.</i></blockquote>Anyone remember these skills from <a href="http://www.interplay.com/fallout">Fallout</a>? <blockquote><i>The actual gameplay is pretty straightforward and closely resembles that of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. </i></blockquote>More Vivendi PR requirements for previews.<blockquote><i> Targeting specific enemies can be quite useful in almost every combat situation, since it also lets you execute evasive maneuvers such as rolls and back flips.</i></blockquote>Uhhh.. What? You have to target an enemy to dodge?<blockquote><i>This is especially important for Kane, since he moves relatively slowly and can't evade enemies as well by simply walking in the opposite direction.</i> </blockquote>He's slow.. But luckily he's also a gymnast!<blockquote><i> Of course, your overall quest is to locate a missing paladin from the Brotherhood of Steel, but there will be several relatively menial tasks as well, such as locating a prostitute's missing cat. </i></blockquote>Mentioning <i>prostitutes</i> is a requirement by <b>TEAM CHUCK</b>.
<br>
<br>Also, you're supposed to be saving a Paladin for the BOS, but you're taking time out to save a whore's cat?
<br>
<br>Furthermore, <i>there are no more cats in <a href="http://www.interplay.com/fallout">Fallout</a>!</i> This was even explained in <A href="http://www.interplay.com/fallout2">Fallout 2</a>. Way to screw up yet again, <b>TEAM CHUCK</b>! Please update the FAQ about how you didn't really mean <i>cat</i>, you really mean to say <i>dog</i>. <blockquote><i>When you reach the end of an area, you'll have to take on a boss character who will be much more powerful and require a little more strategy to defeat than the average enemy. </i></blockquote>Strategies like flipping the auto-fire switch on the controller to the on position.<blockquotE><i>Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel will support cooperative play for two players. It will also have some unlockable features such as extra playable characters that can be acquired by beating the game on different difficulty settings. </i></blockquote>What do you want to bet one of them is the <i>Vault Dweller</i> from <a href="http://www.interplay.com/fallout">Fallo ... ote><i>The game is currently scheduled for release on the Xbox and PlayStation 2 in late October.</i></blockquote>When's Halo 2 coming out, again?
<br>
<br>Thanks to <b>AarronK</b> for the word!
swordinstone
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by swordinstone »

What do you want to bet one of them is the Vault Dweller from Fallout?
lol, its probably Drizzt Do' Urden, seeing as how they havent changed the game's structure AT ALL. I garuntee the boxes are the same from BG:DA, and a lot of the monsters will prob be recycled too. (maybe changed in apperance, but retaining the same animations and whatever else they can get away with).
Last edited by swordinstone on Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Against the grain
That where I'll stay
Swimmin up stream...
I maintain against the grain!
Evil Natured Robot
Respected
Respected

Post by Evil Natured Robot »

Oh boy, the thrill of crate looting!
Hey, don't knock it! You know we all spent a good deal of FO1/2 time digging around in boxes and buckets.

The most important thing to note about the article is that not a single word is said by the previewer about being excited, or anticipating the game's release, or even being slightly impressed at all.

When and where in FO2 did they explain why there aren't any cats? I must've missed it. Is it on a holotape somewhere?
I'll get you, Yoshimi.
Gadro
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Gadro »

If i remember correctly, it's in The Den, in Elisabeth's bar. Talk to a girl, she'll talk about her cat, blahblahblah get 200XP :)

BTW, what does "minx" mean ? i cant find it in my dictionnary :?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Main Entry: minx
Pronunciation: 'mi[ng](k)s
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1592
1 : a pert girl
2 obsolete : a wanton woman
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Gadro
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Gadro »

Thanks Maître Cappello (only french people can understand, or people that know very well france culture (yes we have a culture, things about surrending, ask Saint'))
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

jeez, they couldnt even manage to add an all-a-rounder style charactor, only big and slow and strong, or small and fast and weak. and then there's ghoul boy who is small slow and weak, woot to that.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I'm pretty sure he's talking about a different kind of pussy. Don't forget, sex sells and this is FOBOS.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Now this is my type of game.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

W0W SOUDNDS GOODZORZ I <3 CHUCKY
'Uncle' Chucky wrote:Of course, your overall quest is to locate a missing paladin from the Brotherhood of Steel, but there will be several relatively menial tasks as well, such as locating a prostitute's missing cat.
W0W I DID"NT KNO KATZ W3R3 IN WATSELAND MEYBE IT IS GHOUL MADCAT LOLOL WITH PSYCHIKCK POWERS :DDd
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

As much as everyone bitches about this game, my guess is that at least half of the steady posters on DAC and NMA are going to buy it...Well...Rent it....Well......Let a friend rent it.........Get someone you met at a bar to...nevermind......I really don't even want to hear about the game.....Though I do enjoy a good prostitute with a heart of gold.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

What the hell are you talking about? The bulk of DAC's readers don't even own a console and would never play this tripe. Some may rent it to see how horrible it is, but not in the intent of enjoying it.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Well put, spazmo.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Kenny is the saxophone master
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I'll rent it and make review
:chew:
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I rented Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for XBOX tonight...I rather enjoyed it..Gameplay reminds me a little of Gothic (PC)...Never having played ANY other BG game before, I've got nothing to complain about.

Just because FOBOS has nothing in common with FO, other than a name, and a few weapons, doesn't mean it's going to be complete crap..I mean come on...FO:T was nothing like the previous FO games, but it ended up being pretty popular despite all the bitching I remember from V13..I confess, however, that I hate FO:T with a passion...But at least I PLAYED FO:T before I decided it was a waste of time, and utter garbage.

Take FOBOS for what it is...A game trying to float on another game's good name..It may be good, it may be bad...It's still going to sell. I'm going to try it before I decide if it's shit or not...Even if I decide it's bad, at least I'm not doing a bunch of petty bitching about it before I've tried it.

Taken from a Preview of FOBOS on xbox.ign.com:

"Hardcore RPG fans of the PC game might look at the transition as a sellout, but Interplay likes to see it as a transition, a slight departure, and least for now. One could also see the glass half full. The series has not died with the massive changes seen at Interplay in the last three years, and the company feels confident enough to deliver it to the consoles in a more action-oriented fashion."
--and--
"All in all, this demo was really just a taste of what we'll get further down the road. In the 20 minutes we saw and played it, we were satisfied in knowing that while the RPG elements of the game have been simplified, stat-tracking, side-quests and data profiles are still there to appease at least some RPG-ers."

Maybe I'm just not as "hardcore" as some, but I'm at least willing to give this game a chance..

-----Also....Spazmo...If the majority of the people here don't have a console, why is everyone so uptight about FOBOS?

Can't we all just get a beer?
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:If the majority of the people here don't have a console, why is everyone so uptight about FOBOS?
Because we care.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Killa-Killa
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Killa-Killa »

ExtremeDrinker wrote: "All in all, this demo was really just a taste of what we'll get further down the road.
Dear God! I, for one, really, really hope that this is just a sadistic joke.
ExtremeDrinker wrote: In the 20 minutes we saw and played it, we were satisfied in knowing that while the RPG elements of the game have been simplified, stat-tracking, side-quests and data profiles are still there to appease at least some RPG-ers."
Simplified RPG elements? is this the "you get to pick your name and thats about it" RPG? Or is it even that? I highly doubt that any remnants of SPECIAL are there (Thankee, chucky), and I wonder what role playing there is to do?
KillaKilla's logic:
FOT and FO: BOS weren't FO at all!........... 1. I am nobody
DOGMEAT is God. Never dispute this!........ 2. Nobody is perfect
Up and coming hardware nerd.................. 3. Hence I am perfect
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:FO:T was nothing like the previous FO games, but it ended up being pretty popular despite all the bitching I remember from V13.
If it were actually popular, i.e. sold well, there'd be FOT2. Notice there isn't one.
------------------
Foldy
Regular
Regular

Post by Foldy »

Killa-Killa wrote:Simplified RPG elements? is this the "you get to pick your name and thats about it" RPG? Or is it even that? I highly doubt that any remnants of SPECIAL are there (Thankee, chucky), and I wonder what role playing there is to do?
Nope, no naming your character.

Remember, to game critics, stat-building and role-playing are the same thing.
Our Host!