How to make AI use their assigned weapons/armour in Editor

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

How to make AI use their assigned weapons/armour in Editor

Post by captain_ben »

I am having problems in trying to create a multiplayer co-op level..I have built the level and put in the raider entities AND assigned their weapons/armour but they only seem to attack melee only when i test the level and not wear their armour at all...

Also.when my 2nd pc joins in the co-op level,their charectors cannot move at all or shoot or use items...the host pc's charecters can though..

SO HELP ME PLEASE!!!!....I'll give you a cake.....
[o_O]
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Here is a basic tutorial I wrote some time ago that details how to set up player indices. Hopefully it will help:

Guide to the Player Index:

To set up a single player mission you are going to need a player character(PC) to control and also enemies or other non-player characters(NPC's) to interact with. Here is how to set them up:

1. The first step is to click on the "Level" button at the top of the level editor. On the left side screen there should now be an option button for "Player" - click it. This opens the "Player Setup" dialogue box. The default settings are "0. Scenery" and "1. Humans". You want to "Add" another Player Index - "2. Enemy". Under "Name", type "Enemy" and for type you want to use Computer. The team you can pick "2" and then click ok.

2. Now click on the "Team" button on the left side which will bring you to the "Team Setup". Highlight Team 1 and type in the name of your team - "BOS" or whatever and the same for Team 2 - "Enemy". Where all the green squares are, left-click the appropriate boxes to make them enemies or right-click them to make them friends. So in the first row, left click on the box in column 2 until you get a value of -10 and the same for Row 2, Column 1.

3. Now you want to insert the entities for your enemies. At the top of the screen click on the "Entity" box. A new menu will appear on the left side with a directory of the entities. In the Player field enter the number 2 and hit enter. Don't enter anything in the Tag field for now. Click on the directory for Actors and choose the character you want to use or find an entity that you have already created with the entity editor. Then just place him/her wherever you'd like. If you immediately click the entity editor box you can edit this entity. You may want to customize the looks of a generic figure or rotate him to face a particular direction or add things to his inventory.

4. If you want to add a PC that you control, do the same thing except put him/her/it under Player Index 1.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Also.when my 2nd pc joins in the co-op level,their charectors cannot move at all or shoot or use items...the host pc's charecters can though..
Have you set it up the same as a normal MP map with only one human player index? I don't think you can include any PC already on the map as you can with SP.
[/quote]
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Post by captain_ben »

Yes,i know how to create an AI team that attacks you,BUT they are not using the weapons/armour i assign to them...i have given a behemoth .50 cal ammo and it was able to shoot at me...but i give a raider a hunting rifle and 7.62mm ammo and raider armour2,they just run at me and hit me,not using their weapons and armour....so they die a bit very quickly......hmmm....

i assign their weapons in the entity edit and go into the "entities" folder then to "weapons" folder and i add the weapons to their "hand" 1 and 2 and they still dont use them...ive tried ak47s,m16s,spears,hunting rifles,so it isnt a strength issue....when i loot the raiders bodies,only the ammo or nothing is found............. :x
[o_O]
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

There could be a few reasons why they are acting this way. First off which raider entity are you using or are you creating your own? If you are creating your own, make sure that he has the skills to use the weapon that you are giving him. Set the proper perks, skills, derived attributes, and traits in the attributes section of the entity editor.

Secondly, make sure the AI is set up correctly in the level editor. The default values for aggression and mobility are 10 - maybe you want to try smaller values there. Under Entity Edit do you have their tactic set to "Hold"?
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Post by captain_ben »

*slaps head*
i was using raiders in charectors and not in Actors in which they worked..all i had to do was add ammo and so it worked...BUT...
I still can't believe how I can't make it so Team 1 [HOST] and 2 [JOINER] fight together against A.I "agressive to all" Team 8...I managed to get Team 1 and Team 2 to be happy with each other thus allied against the AI and the AI attack both Team 1 and 2,but for some reason Team 2 cannot move,shoot,take their turn...team 2 basically locks up....thats my only problem at the moment and i realise it may be the way the game is made,but jeez thats shit not to allow co-op mapping for LAN gaming......

the map i designed has one AI team versus 2 allied human teams and so has 1 team spawn point..in the mp team selection menu,i set it so both pcs on the LAN were both team 1......they respawned on the map next to each other all happy but the 2nd pc team is non-responding to any movement/attacks/commands...isnt there a way to get over this???!
*sighs*
[o_O]
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

Yeah, see there's the problem.

You need to find a way to have the players allied against the computer oppoent, without the game automaticly ending. I _think_ I know your problem, but I'm not sure hwo to explain it.

Since I'm crappy at tutorials and have no space to upload, give me an e-mail that I can send a sample map to and I'll be able to give you a readme file and you can look at how I make cooperative maps.

Keep in mind, this game was not made for cooperative, I found loopholes, and exploited those loopholes.
The only problem with my method is that desyncs are extreemly common, you need to be careful.

I would just submit one to NMA, but the actual map-makeing part is what screws me.
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Post by captain_ben »

Well..my email's captain_ben@blueyonder.co.uk

ANYONE who manages to make FOT a co-op LAN friendly game is welcome to email me how they did it....as for the desyncs..thats annoying.
[o_O]
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Post by captain_ben »

uh.. there's a _ between captain_ben@ in my email...just in case.....
[o_O]
Red

Post by Red »

In the demo version it was easy... All you needed to do was load up a single player map as a skirmish. The ennemies (ie: the computer) were on another team, so the game wouldn't end, and people joining would be on your team. I only tried it once and not for long, so I didn't catch any bugs...

I'm guessing you people tried that already in the latest version so that ain't working out...
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Hi, Red and welcome to the new board(I didn't have the opportunity to welcome you earlier.)
Can you update us on the Tile Editor?
Red

Post by Red »

Didn't touch it for a month now.

The only thing missing is the save function which should actually be fairly easy to impliment, however it's hell to debug if there is a bug, so that's why I didn't give it much attention. That and the WW2 mod people used to push me to continue, but I didn't get any news from them, well, for a month. When people don't motivate me, I don't do much, heh.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

If you will check the posts in FoT related forums you will see we're eager for it. All map Rats at least, and most of those who wanted to map something. Many more posts on the old forum though, as we didn't have news about it, lately. Now, you are here, expect to get many requests for it, heh. :D
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Red wrote:When people don't motivate me, I don't do much, heh.
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

/motivation
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Hopefully it will be bug free :) (that's in order for you not to have to debug and us getting it faster) . I can't start with the list of tiles I wanna create. Do it! And if you think of it, many others too, like JJ86. I can start dreaming now...

Heh, I touch of CA techniques up there!
Last edited by Flamescreen on Sat May 25, 2002 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah Red I didn't want to overbug you but if you get it out there will be a lot of cool things possible. With the new maps that will be coming out you are even going to have to go out and buy FOT! I can guarantee that there will be better maps coming out with the FOT engine than ever will be possible with the old Fallout engine.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Hmm, Quartz that good, eh? :lol:
He's right though, the maps will be even better with the tile editor.
Red

Post by Red »

Yeah... I'm quite curious about what they're doing with the Phoenix engine personally, as supposedly another game'll come out for it... I'm mostly worried wether they'll add new formats to the images or wether it'll work out of the box :)

Anyhoo, alright, I'll get back to work soon.

As for bugs, there's a lot of them already gone (in the viewer). For the editor, well, we'll have to see, but I don't think there'll be a big cycle of bug fixing for it since I converted the way I store the sprites in memory now.

And there was much rejoycing.
Our Host!