Children of Shadows Campaign

Role-play any post-apocalyptic scenario to your heart's content or discuss unofficial Fallout PnP games.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Ryo -> When you go back to your tent you see some tribals playing a game in front of their tent and a bit further sits Talon, conversing with another somewhat older tribal. He seems to hand something over to Talon.

Talon -> Gurt smiles. Hey, that' s ok with me. So are you planning on staying for the feast? I heard they are holding some competitions amongst tribemembers. I' m taking part in the crafting and hunting competition. So what about you? Feel interested to participate in one? Maybe some of the other competitions?

Mordecai -> The apprentice let' s you in, still bowing. This building looks huge from the inside. All sort of racks filled with herbs and jars fill the walls toghether with the occasional tribal painting and bone animal heads. The floor is littered with straw filled bags, arranged in a circle. Two staircases mount to the second floor, all made out of stone. Much labor must have been used to erect such a building. This is something awe aspiring for you, since you' ve never seen something like this before in real life. The picture books you learned from back home when you were just a youngster all had illustrations about big stone houses but it couldn' t compare to this. On the farthest wall are 2 closed doors. The apprentice stutters: I....I... appologize to you once more, master, but Sharlen has taken all the other apprentices out to gather herbs. He won' t be back before the meal this evening, but I can tell him you came to see him. Unless there was something else you wanted?
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
Lup_Alb_13
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Lup_Alb_13 »

"Hmmmm!.... Erin wants me to come at the celebration this evening... I'm not an important member of this tribe and more, my brother was banished .... this is not normal." Andrew think about what the chief has told him.
"I must take care but I will not miss the chance to find out what's this all about."
First, Andrew will go home and check his hunting and travell equipment to be in order. He takes his knife and the flint stones with him, hiding the knife in the sleeve of his shirt. He knows that nobody is permited to carry weapons at the ritual evening meal so he tries to hide the knife really good. ;) .
Then he will gather his bow and arrows, the torches, a filled up watter flask and somme traps into his slingbag and go outside the walls of the village and hide it in a safe place. Maybe he will be forced to run in a hurry and he may not have the chance to go back to his hut. Now is the time to go check that tent encampment to find out more about those strangers. He is a little worried about his father but he knows that Erin's wife will take care of him if he will have to leave the tribe. She remembers that in the past, her husband and Andrew's father were friends.
Sommetimes the truth is at the wrong side of the shotgun barrel ...
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Last chance to do preparations and stuff before the meal!

The sun descends and the light starts to dimm. Stalls start to clean up and more and more people are returning home. The last pieces of food are sold at the market and the tribe representatives are returning towards their tents. Evening seems to fall and soon the evening meal will commence as preparations are already made.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intimidate you, says Mordecai to the apprentice. Please don't be afraid of me, I was merely curious. Perhaps you could tell me about the shamans of your tribe and what methods you use for contacting the spirits? It would be of great interest to me.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Talon looks at Gurt. No, no contests. If I won, I would feel bad for the others, and if I lost, I'd feel bad for myself. So its a no win situation.
I support everyones right to make a fool of themselves.:chainsaw:

I just wish I didn't do it so often.
:yikes:
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Talon -> Gurt nods. I understand your point. Well, looks like it' s time to prepare myself for the meal. Hey Talon, maybe I' ll see you later this evening. He gives you a friendly tap on the shoulder and retreats to his tent.

Mordecai -> The apprentice seems to regain himself. Well, there are 4 apprentices and Sharlen around here, which makes 5 in all. Most of the apprentices don' t become practicing shamans after they get married but can be called upon when the need arrises. Sharlen is the chief-shaman, this means he is the shaman of our tribe but he is superior to all shamans from the other Nevis' tribes. Sharlen possesses unsurpassed knowledge regarding the Ancients, spirits and herbal cures and potions.
Contacting spirits on their own is forbidden for apprentices, with the exception of minor spirits such as river and creek spirits, wild animal spirits, tree spirits and so on. Offerings can still be made to greater spirits. The only one who is allowed to converse with the greater spirits is Sharlen. When the need arises, Sharlen lets himself be swallowed whole by Ben Nevis, where he' ll try to communicate with him and returns unharmed. But only shamans and apprentices are allowed to witness this amazing feat of wonder.

He pauses.

Master, if you' ll excuse me now, I have to go. I' m needed at Erin' s place to make sure everything is prepared for the meal. I hope this conversation has been helpfull to you. I' ll see you at the meal I hope?

With that he shows you the door and locks it behind him as he goes off to Erin' s place.

There are no more stalls on the square. Instead there stands a couple of low but large wooden tables. Torches surround the square and people are bussy making last preparations. When you all enter the square there' s already a lot of people, but none of them has taken a seat. Almost all of them are tribe representatives but a few are native to this tribe. They seem to be conversing about all sorts of things amongst eachother. One of them stands a bit on the side. It' s the young tribal you met earlier this day.
At that moment Erin steps out of his home. Be seated my warriors and fill your bodies with strength from this meal. Let the meal commence.

Erin takes a seat at the head of the largest table. On his right side sits a cloaked man with a grey beard. Behind him stand two apprentices. Everybody takes a seat and the meal is being served. Fish, various sorts of meat, bread, Bursht, it' s all there. A feast for the stomach and the eye.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Talon seats himself and eats. He looks around to see if Gurt is about, and waves at him.

Lup_Alb_13
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Lup_Alb_13 »

Andrew is trying to find a seat in the vicinity of the strangers from the Dougal tribe, but not too close. Also he try to stay near the edge of the table, just in case he will be forced to make a rapid retreat... He is all eyes and ears, listening to the discussions at the table and looking around.....
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Erm... yes... interesting... Mordecai follows around the apprentice as he gives him the information he'd asked for. Mordecai stands silent, absorbing and digesting the spiritual lore of the tribe. That was very informative, he says to the apprentice once he is done. Thank you very much... I learned a great deal about your spiritual world. I will leave while you go to make preparations. He exits the building.

Mordecai will then simply pass the time (schmoozing with the locals and his traveling companions) until the feast.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

The meal seems to be well underway and there' s laughter and drinking all around you. Erin seems to be talking with some visiting tribal chieftains that came visiting him. A large and rowdy tribal who sat next to Talon stands up and walks over to Andrew. Hey lad, would you mind changing places with me? The person you' re sitting next to is my nephew by marriage and we have a lot of catching up to do. So would you be so kind? The old cloaked man throws a glance in your direction.

During the following hours stories and rumors are exchanged between tribals and the later it gets, the more Bursht is being drunk and the louder they get. You pick up some odd rumours from the Davlin and Archelon tribes; both of them seem to be plagued by hordes of Wulfen. You recall that the strangers back home also came to warn about this. Next you hear that Agaran, the chieftain from the Lagherty tribe became father to a beatifull little daughter. More drinking ensues.

Somewhat later the cloaked man rises, having barely touched his plate and Bursht. All becomes silent. I thank you for your hospitality Erin, but I will retreat to my chambers now. I have this feeling troubles will knock on my door tomorow morning, so I' d better be prepared. He quickly eyes all of you. Good night to all of you. He quitely strides off, his two apprentices right behind him. A moment later the laughter and drinking continues.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Talon, having never having gotten the taste for Bursht, silently leaves a few moments after the cloaked man. Trying to not be too obvious about it, he tries following them. Not sneaking, just following them to see if anything happens to them, and where they go. 8)

Lup_Alb_13
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Lup_Alb_13 »

Amdrew will stand up and and speack loud so the shaman can hear him:
"-Well if you insist, I can't refuse you! Stay here near your nephew. You have a lot of news to share with him!"
He will go to the seat next to Talon:
"-That man wants me to change places with him. It's OK with you?"
If Talon agrees he will sit down and acts as he is not interested in talking with him. He waits for any chances to speak with the strangers without beeing observed by the Shaman.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Andrew -> The shaman clearly overheard what you said, but other than throwing a glance in your direction he doesn' t seem to react. Since he strode off to his place you can sort of talk freely. Although Talon seems to have gone. The other five strangers from the Dougal tribe are still there. A young tribal wearing dogtags around his neck, a wise-looking but frail shaman, a hunter covered with scars, a short but muscular warrior, and an agile and sneaky tribal with green eyes.

Talon -> The old man and his apprentices walk down the square into the direction of the Shamans' sanctuary. There they go round the corner and enter a small backalley. You stop at the corner and decide to stay a bit out of sight. The apprentices open a small door and enter while the the old man seems to be looking for something in his pockets. Then without turning towards you he speaks loud enough for you to understand: Why do you follow an old man, child? Have I not stated that I wished to retire? Come back tomorrow morning and I will answer the questions that trouble you. You are seeking for guidance aren' t you? Come back tomorrow and bring your friends. Good night and may the Earth Mother guard over you while you sleep.

With that he closes the door behind him and leaves you standing out there.

Some of you might want to post more often!
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Talon, returns to the tent assigned to his group. He ponders the words he heard. He figures that he was looking for guidance, not even knowing that that was what he was doing. He resolves to inform the others about what happened, in the morning. With that, Talon lies down and goes to sleep.

atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Mordecai enjoys the meal and eats as many servings of Bursht as possible. After the cloaked man abruptly leaves the table, he politely asks the shaman why he left. What is he troubled about? Is it any of our concern?
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

In case you wouldn' t have noticed, the cloaked old man IS the Shaman Sharlen.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Calal wrote:a wise-looking but frail shaman
That guy... unless I'm mistaken. :P
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

That was my description of you for Lup to recognize you, since he hasn' t actually met you. Lol. Good one. :D
Lup_Alb_13
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Lup_Alb_13 »

After the shaman's departure, Andrew take a mug of Bursht and turn towards the strangers:
"-I hope I'm not bothering you if I sit at your table... I'll drink to your health and good luck! "
He takes a sip from his mug...
"May I ask you why are you so interested in talking to the shaman? You know... the resemblance of your friend with my lost brother looks to me as a sign from the spirits....I know that you have comme here for the Nuyeer celebration but after that are you going to return home or you will go into the wilderness? I've heard that you are following somme sort of quest..."
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Let's move it along, people. YOU TOO PIPSQUEAK D:

No, it's quite all right for you to sit, be my guest... why not sit *here*? Mordecai shifts a few inches to the left to indicate a vacant spot next to him.

Well, we are travelers from the Dougal tribe, you see... the whole reason have traveled here is to discuss something relatively important with the shaman. I suppose you could say we are on some sort of quest, yes. As for our plans after this Nuyeer celebration, we will enlist the shaman and then, I hope, return to the tribe once business is done.
Our Host!