Children of Shadows Campaign

Role-play any post-apocalyptic scenario to your heart's content or discuss unofficial Fallout PnP games.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

With a mighty swing Talon descends his stone axe onto the heavy lock. For a moment it looks like he might pull it off, but unfortunatly the lock won' t give way. Small splinters of stone fly around scratching your upper torso and arms as you manage to avert your eyes at the last moment.

Seems like you' ll need to find another way to get past the gate. Judging the impact made by the axe you judge the axe would probably not be able to whitstand another blow without rendering it utterly useless.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
Furious George
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Furious George »

Duriel steps back from the flying pieces of rust and stone, shaking his head. The axe obviously wasn't going to do the trick, so Duriel looks the gate up and down critically and begins to wonder if he can't scale it. He looks over at Talon and then back up at the gate, critically and dusts his hands off on his legs.

If you gave me a boost, or vice versa, think one of us could make it over?

Duriel tries to get a better look at the gate and puts his hands against it to see if climbing it would be feasible.
"Ah, those suckers on land will never know the simple joys of a monkey knife fight!" -Homer Simpson
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

If you think you can handle it, I'll give you a boost, says Talon.
I support everyones right to make a fool of themselves.:chainsaw:

I just wish I didn't do it so often.
:yikes:
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

With the help of Talon, Duriel tries to scale the gate. It seems a daunting task at first as the metal plates of the gate are quite slippery. But Talon decides to stretch his muscles to the max and lifts up Duriel as high as he can. Due to this Duriel comes high enough to clamp his hands on the top-edge of the gate, puts some strength in his arms and is able to lift himself up untill he is cabable to just sit on top of the gate.

A wide snow covered area is visible from up there. Around the whole area runs the same barbwired fence as the previous compound and at the farthest end stand some wooden and brick buildings. The whole area is riddled with large visible ditches, all covered in snow, and next to some of them stand a couple of metal beasts like the one in the courtyard.

Before jumping over to the other side of the gate you reconsider the chance if you would be able to return to the courtyard the same way.
Lup_Alb_13
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Lup_Alb_13 »

Unaware of what his mates may be dooing, Andrew is still searching the large stone building (there is the upper floor still left to explore). He is searching for tracks of his brother passage like the tribal graffiti downstairs.
Sommetimes the truth is at the wrong side of the shotgun barrel ...
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

2 nd floor

As Talon reaches the second floor he sees another three offices. A fierce battle seems to have been fought here; everything is in disaray, holes are everywhere, glass and empty bulletcasings litter the floor. The offices are in the same state, destroyed and scavenged for whatever would be usefull a long time ago. Walking down the relative small hallway you see a turned over desk, riddled with bulletholes, guarding the elevator entrance. To your surprise the doors are held open by another turned over light desk, preventing them from closing. The elevatorshaft is pitch black as no light is able to reach it, and you can only guess at how deep it would be. There is no sign of the elevator cabin whatsoever.
On your search for clues on the whereabouts of your brother you stumble on a hidden panel in the ceiling that gives out on a small crawlspace. Taking a quick peek inside ,after dragging a fairly undamaged chair along to stand on, reveals to you that somwhere at the end of the crawlspace shines light.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

As Duriel peers over the gate, Talon asks, See anything interesting? You think that it is worth exploring?

Furious George
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Furious George »

I don't know... it looks similar to this courtyard, covered in fence, there's some buildings over there, which are always worth exploring but there's also a bunch of holes and large metal... things all over the place... I have a feeling this place is somewhat dangerous. More importantly... I'd have no way back up if I jumped down.

Duriel thinks out loud while describing what he sees to Talon and Mordecai, rubbing his chin. He looks down, figuring he can jump it easily but again he would have no way back up and would be seperated from the others. Looking back over his shoulder, he looks down to Mordecai and Talon.

You don't have any rope, by any chance, do you? If we could throw some up, we could probably have a way both up and down...
"Ah, those suckers on land will never know the simple joys of a monkey knife fight!" -Homer Simpson
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

No, I don't think either of us have any rope. Hold on, maybe I can quickly fashion something... Can I? If so, Mordecai takes a quick look around for old bedsheets / rags / etc. to create a decent makeshift rope. Since he knows a good deal about the outdoors, constructing it should be no problem (I hope.)

Sounds interesting. That's could be the most promising way to go... perhaps you could boost us up, Duriel?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Well you could do that, discarding any rags/sheets that look to worn to use. But IIRC Talon picked up a 10-yard rope back home.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Oh, nevermind then! :P

Mordecai starts to rummage around for materials when he remembers Talon had a rope all along. How could I be so shortsighted and forgetful, Mordecai mutters. Talon! Here! Let's use your rope to get up there... no time to waste...
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Calal wrote:Well you could do that, discarding any rags/sheets that look to worn to use. But IIRC Talon picked up a 10-yard rope back home.
Wrong game, that is the Vault 8 game. I thought of that, so I reread the posts. No rope. It was from the V8 game, got it a the school house.

Lup_Alb_13
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Lup_Alb_13 »

With a touch of scare but with a lot of stuborness, Andrew decide to crawl trough that opening. He let most of his gear down, near the wall, taking with him only the crowbar (in his right hand), his knife (conceald in his boots), the flintstones and a torch (carefully tied in his belt). He carefully advances trough the crack, trying to do as little noise as he can and stops from time to time to listen if he can hear any dangerous sounds.
Sommetimes the truth is at the wrong side of the shotgun barrel ...
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Ok, my fault, sorry lads. Let' s just asume you make a make-shift rope out of the sheets and rags around there. Where are you going to attatch the thing? Or do you guys have another plan?

The metal walls feel cold against your skin as you crawl through them. Attentively you listen to unusual sounds. This isn' t the place to get caught by critters. Fortunatly the only sound you hear is the metal creaking under your weight but you' re almost sure it won' t give away. At the end of the crawlspace you come up to a grill blocking the way that gives out onto the open and what looks like a small metal walkway. The hinges of the rusted grill don' t look to strong so you decide to kick it out of it' s place. KLENG! The grill plummets downstairs.
Crawling out of the dark you stand now on the small metal walkway high above the ground. There are two metal ladders nearby: one that leads up towards the very roof of the building where there seems to stand a small metal shed, the other leading all the way down, ending at the roof of a previously unexplored, l-shaped part of the large building.

Edit: this was a description for Andrew.
Last edited by Calal on Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Excellent. Without a word, Mordecai walks down the walkway to the ladder and cautiously (watching for any loose rungs) takes it down to the roof of the previously unexplored building.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

G*****mit, I forgot to mention that this was written for Lup' s character. It clearly isn' t my day today. Sorry Atoga, you' re still at the gate. Try to figure out how to use the cloth, sheets and whatever to make a rope and decide how to get over the gate.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

The hell with that! Mordecai makes a quick rope by tying all the gathered materials together and throws it up to Duriel. Got it, Duriel? Tie it down and help me up.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Are there any gaps at the bottom if the gate/doors? If there is, then the following.

Talon looks around for a long piece of metal bar/pipe or a 2x4. Something to tie the make-shift rope too. If we can find something to slip under this gate, we can make a makeshift anchor. Duriel can climb over, we slide one end of the brace under the door, he then ties it to the end on that side. Then it is anchored over there to climb over. The last person, before going over, ties it on this side. That way, it is secured on both sides, so we can climb back out. Or we can just slip one end of the rope under, and tie it to itself, with one person bracing it while someone climbs. What do you think?

Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Directly under the hinges, at the sides of the gate so to speak, are small gaps indeed. Talon searches for a piece of metal to serve as an anchor and finds a slightly bend iron bar. First of all you use the bar to widen the gaps so you' ll have more chance of fastening it, then you tie it around your make-shift rope, and presto; your gate climbing tool is in order.

After a while the three of you are all on the other side of the gate. You check your rope one last time, making sure it is securely tied. Before you lies now a vast covered area riddled with large ditches, some metal monsters and some sheds at the farthest end.
Furious George
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Furious George »

I don't know about you, but I don't want to find out what caused those holes... Duriel says cautiously, always aware of his continuing misfortune. Carefully he draws his crossbow, and looks around, trying to guage how much longer it would take to go around the perimeter as opposed to right down the middle. So long as it's not substantially longer, he'll start going around the sides, keeping an eye on Talon and Mordecai if they decide to take the faster route.

If any of the holes or machines are close to his path, Duriel will examine them carefully and even try fiddling with the controls if he can find them, or in the case of the dips in the ground, he'll try dusting through the snow to see what is underneath or what could have caused them.
Our Host!