fallout2.exe @ 0x004c6f48

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
phro
SDF!
SDF!

fallout2.exe @ 0x004c6f48

Post by phro »

I dunno if this is the right place to discuss fallout internals but I'll post this here and if I'm wrong, plz point me to the right spot.

I've been doing a little digging into the .lip file format and while tracing the engine as it loads the file I found stuff like this:

Code: Select all

00445356                 push    offset aFailureUnlocki ; "Failure unlocking lips frame!\n"
0044535B                 call    sub_4C6F48
and then this:

00411CE2                 push    offset aSomethingWentW ; "Something went wrong with a ranged atta"...
00411CE7                 call    sub_4C6F48
It got me thinking about abel's debugging patch, and that perhaps there are more debugging facilities yet to be uncovered? I haven't followed that function through yet but perhaps this has already been looked at by some of the veterans...
"Don't think 'cause I understand, I care" -Sneaker Pimps
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

To me the first one seems just to emtioned that the FRM used in combination with the LIP file might be missing some frames for the lip synching mechanism to work properly...
Something went wrong with a ranged attack sequence!
Dunno about that one though.

Both of them might be output to the debug file, or just output in a textbox crashing the app, though that's not very probable.

Are you saying those calls were actually... well called, yet not output anywhere?
phro
SDF!
SDF!

Post by phro »

I traced the codeflow further back and discovered that the sub_4C6F48 is a pointer that gets set only if you enable debugging with Abels patch. However there seem to be many calls such as the ones I listed that never reach this logging function. Why I don't know, but I'll keep looking.

Here's some more examples where we could get some good information...

004450AF                 push    offset aStartingLipsyn ; "Starting lipsynch speech"
004450B4                 call    sub_4C6F48

004C5CFA                 push    offset aMemoryHeaderSt ; "Memory header stomped.\n"
004C5CFF                 call    sub_4C6F48

00422FBB                 push    offset aComputingAttac ; "computing attack...\n"
00422FC0                 call    sub_4C6F48
etc. etc. there are quite a few calls to this function all over the place.[/code]
"Don't think 'cause I understand, I care" -Sneaker Pimps
Red

Post by Red »

Well, there are some other options whihc might be enabled in the cfg file though I guess one of you people would have foudn those out already...

The only other thing I can think of right now is perhaps they only appear when logging in monochrome, but why would it only be endabled then? I'll need to make this work on an old 98se box just to see that anyhow.
Our Host!