Fallout 1 & 2 modding guide

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Dark Raven

Fallout 1 & 2 modding guide

Post by Dark Raven »

I know that there are a lot of people out there who want to mod Fallout, but don't know shit about it. And, since I've seen some complains of a modding guide not being on the net, I decided to start my own. You can find the modding guide at http://DRfallout.has.it, but be warned - I just started it, so I need feedback. How can I make a good guide for you, if I don't know what you want, right? So, if it's not on my site, send me an e-mail, and tell what you want, and I'll see what I can do.

The guide is intended to be a A-Z modding guide, starting from the very basics to the most advanced features - so that anyone who want's to mod Fallout can do it.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

This look really good! I look forward to using it!
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

Is there something wrong with my browser, or aren't there anything yet on the Files and Dirs? :?:
I can see only the part where you say something about detailed explanation of file extraction.

I would really like to see the rest, as I like the idea of modding my own FO and FO2... :twisted:
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Essentals: I believe you mean Essentials here, Raven...

And no, Warlord, there isn't really anything there yet- but he did say that he just started on the thing!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

You might want to talk to the guys at Fallout.ru to see if you can mirror some of their files. They have a good head start on important info.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Is that in Russian or English? My IE won't open it right now..?

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

It's in english, but a few of the docs are in russian only.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

k. But for some reason, I have a feeling he wants do this his way- I may be incorrect, but I don't think so...

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Red

Post by Red »

Dunno, imho he's looking for all the info he can get (in english anyway)...

At the speed he's fixing his typos though, it doesn't look like we'll get much info...
Dark Raven

Post by Dark Raven »

Tank wrote:(..) I have a feeling he wants do this his way (..)
And you're right! I AM going to do this MY way, just as I did FIC, FIME only gave the idea. I'll see about the fallout.ru, I can read russian a bit, so it should help.
Dark Raven

Post by Dark Raven »

Red wrote:(..) At the speed he's fixing his typos though, it doesn't look like we'll get much info... (..)
The hell you know. I don't even have a computer in my home, and I'm still working on the guide, and I also have school among other things, so I can't update my page every 5 minutes. Just send me e-mails if you want to say something to me, and be patient for God's sake!

P.S. Thanx for the spelling check Tank, I'll fix that ASAP.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

On the http://drfallout.yo.lv/faq_mod_filesAndDirs.html page, the left and right side under "Fallout 2 - master.dat" don't line up with smaller resolutions- you might want to break each line into a TR.
The guide is intended to be a A-Z modding guide, starting from the very basics to the most advanced features - so that anyone who want's to mod Fallout can do it.
A worthy goal- best of luck to you with it..
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

He thanked me... personally! I feel so honored... :)

As for the other thing, I agree with you, Temp!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
ABel
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by ABel »

There was Smackrazor's Guide to Modding on the Net. You may find it useful, since it contains a lot of info about Fallout-modification.
Take a look: http://wasteland.by.ru/files/tuts.zip

Also many file formats and modification issues are described at http://www.fallout.ru/projects/MOD/ (some of them are in English).
Gehenna
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Gehenna »

Why slam someone who's trying to provide a FREE, valuable service? Okay, he's got some typos. Did you understand what he MEANT to say? Yes? Do you want someone in your work environment to correct you every time that you don't use proper Queen's english? No?

Well, that's precisely the sort of thing you're doing.

@+ 13@$+ 1+'5 n0+ 133t.

Stupid trolls.
-Gehenna
Every time someone in Interplay's marketing department makes a decision, an angel gets hit by a bus.
Dark Raven

Re: ...

Post by Dark Raven »

Gehenna wrote:Why slam someone who's trying to provide a FREE, valuable service? Okay, he's got some typos. Did you understand what he MEANT to say? Yes? Do you want someone in your work environment to correct you every time that you don't use proper Queen's english? No?

Well, that's precisely the sort of thing you're doing.
Don't worry, it's OK. He just fixed ONE typo, which was, BTW, the title of a section, so I'm actually grateful. But thanx, it's nice to know someone's on your side.

Anyway, why are we all making such a fuss over a single typo? I don't mean just you Gehenna, I mean everyone - come on, I had a typo, i fixed it, let's just drop it and leave it alone, alright? Sheesh!
Red

Post by Red »

Well, way I see it, he needs help (and not just for typos).
Dark Raven

Post by Dark Raven »

Red wrote:Well, way I see it, he needs help (and not just for typos).
Who, Gehenna? Listen people, I already asked you, why can't we just drop the wholde damn thing and leave it at that? This was supposed to be a "Fallout 1 & 2 modding guide" post, not some "A typo - who's right, who's wrong? Story of the century! Buy at your local store now!" post.
And that means, I'd like to see people talking about the guide here, not typos or each other's mental health. We've got a seperate forum section for that - Wasteland, you can as easily go there as here.
Red

Post by Red »

Dude, get over it... what I'm saying is that if you have so little time you could use someone to help out.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Re: Fallout 1 & 2 modding guide

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Dark Raven wrote:I know that there are a lot of people out there who want to mod Fallout, but don't know shit about it. And, since I've seen some complains of a modding guide not being on the net, I decided to start my own. You can find the modding guide at http://DRfallout.has.it, but be warned - I just started it, so I need feedback. How can I make a good guide for you, if I don't know what you want, right? So, if it's not on my site, send me an e-mail, and tell what you want, and I'll see what I can do.

Oh thank the Gods!!! When I finish writing Amtut, it means I can just read this to catch up on the Fallout modding without having to write a tutorial myself. :D

I'm not sure how relevant this might be to you, but what the hell, I thought I'd offer a few words of advice from someone who's writing their own modding tutorial (Arcanum Module Making Tutorial).

1) The first time you do it, you're likely to leave out something that you didn't know about. This means re-writing it. After I'd written part 2 of Amtut, I realised there where things that I needed to mention in it that I only discovered after I'd written them. That can be a bitch. Whether you re-write it immediately and update that part of the tutorial A.S.A.P. or not is up to you. I decided to wait until I'd finished the whole thing, then go back and re-write it. Of course, I've thrown that out the window and have stated re-writing it while at the same time, am continuing on with the "old" version.

2) It's going to take time and you'll start to get a lot of "Hey! When's this going to be finished??" comments in your e-mail and your guestbook and every forum you visit.... Ignore them. Just keep plodding along. Even if there are weeks when you don't work on the tutorial due to other things in your life or even just having a break from it, don't feel the need to give people what they want. Just tell them you'll continue to work on it and will complete it one day, whenever that day will be. In terms of time frame, I actually started writing Amtut last year in October. A year has almost gone by and I've still got to finish it.

3) If the tutorial is any good, you will start to get people who say things like "You are the GOD of such and such modding". Feel free to soak up the glory and boast by using that phrase in your signature pic. :D However, some people may use this against you in a flame war about MMORPGs but wondering about your "godliness". They will also point out how your web-page is only HTML based and therefore, you can't be much of a God. With luck though, the forum that debate occurs in will have server issues and disappear into the void/wastes. It will also seem to suck that flame war person down with it..... (Don't ask... Just don't ask.)

4) I wonder if the "Dark" prefix in front of names is some sort of indication for a potential mod tutorial writer? :)

5) How you write the tutorial is up to you. I went for the "whole document" approach and as such, it takes real time to do, it does however, create a whole doucment that is easy to use and follow. That said, you might want to go for the "dribs and drabs" approach. IE: Just a section on modding a certain aspect, then add another seperate HTML page/section about another aspect. Some times, I have wished I went for this approachs as well, as it would save me having to write whole chapters before uploading it. Once all the dribs and drabs where done, I could have perhaps re-written it then into a complete document. Anyway, that's up to you and the style you feel comfortable with.

6) Don't worry too much about spelling errors. :) You'll get them, and you'll get them a lot. As well as general HTML errors and all sorts as well.

7) GOOD LUCK!! You'll need a bit of it, not much mind you, just a bit :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Our Host!