Enlighten me...

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Enlighten me...

Post by Jimbo san »

I've been away for a while, and I'm rather amused at the response that this game is getting.

I'll admit that the very idea of a Fallout Game being developed solely for a (gasp!) console is a bit new, a bit shocking. And I'm well aware of the voraciousness of the fan community here. I've been (semi) keping up with this FOBOS nonsense, and I just want to know why, after bitching for years that Interplay haven't made a Fallout game, that as soon as they acquiesce you turn your nose up at it.

I've seen the response to some of these threads already, and I know that the old stalwarts will rush to Shanghai me over this issue, but I think you should give the game a chance. What good will bitching do?

Consoles are the future in many ways, computer gaming sales move in a cyclical pattern, and may be on the downturn. So if they make this game, then perhaps more of a following will be atracted to Fallout and they will make FO3. Think about it. Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

Oh, and if I get the retarded 3 sentence replies filled with "lol"s I expect I will get from some people, then I will once again know the calibre of a certain slice of the membership.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

This is why we need a sticky or somekinda page explaining all the reasons why FOBOS is bullshit so even the most ignorant can understand.

If you don't trust the posts on this board then check any of the commercial previews of FOBOS. They all hate it. Gameplay is boring as hell, it looks like shit, and is nothing more than a half assed Dark Alliance total conversion.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Let's face facts here, OK? FOBOS is in production. It's not going to look it's best.
Sure, some things might get changed. They did that to Fallout Tactics, lots of people bought it (goes and looks) and there's a thread to it here. You're going to have a hell of a lot of egg on your collective faces if this game turns out to be good.
Here's something else to consider - after all the shit some of you guys have put Interplay through regarding FOBOS, are you really encouraging them to make another Fallout game? No, if anything you'll put them off. The community here is so rabid that no matter what Fallout game is produced, even the almighty Fallout 3 (if it ever materialises), and even if it were made by Troika, it isn't going to be good enough for you lot. You can't make up your minds, and anything Interplay or Fallout related you just end up flaming or spamming.
Oh, and try to pull your head out of your ass and actually read my words for a change, MMRW. I resent being referred to as "ignorant". Every single member of this forum posts exactly the same reply every time somebody comes up with a thread like mine. Let's try and have an adult conversation, you know?
EDIT - Oh yeah, and you're all complaining about the lack of Fallout-esque feeling in the new game, I ask you - what was Fallout 2? It was a series of cliches and easter eggs given the old Fallout magic. The 50's atmosphere may have been absent, but it was still a good game.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'd rather see the Fallout license rest in peace, to be perfectly honest. I've been very clear about that in the past. Pushing Interplay to make the game the fans want never worked and never will. I will not waste my energy bashing the game or the company.

What kind of shit did we put Interplay through? You're saying it's our fault their company is in ruin? The only people they have to blame are themselves. A lot of the animals around here went nuts with all this anti-Cuevas bullshit, and believe it or not I opposed it. That was probably the most extreme, and was still harmless to Interplay. The only people it hurt was the Fallout community.

I'm the wrong person to argue with about FOBOS. Saint or Rosh or somebody might come in here and tear you to shreds, though. At present, I don't believe the Fallout community has a loud enough voice to make a difference. And it will be a few years before it's taken seriously.
Last edited by Mad Max RW on Tue May 27, 2003 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Mad Max RW wrote:What kind of shit did we put Interplay through? You're saying it's our fault their company is in ruin? The only people they have to blame are themselves. A lot of the animals around here went nuts with all this anti-Cuevas bullshit, and believe it or not I opposed it.
I apologise. Sometimes I over-generalise. But the immense amount of flaming that Interplay has attracted over this from Fallout fans hasn't helped. And no, I don't believe that Fallout fans complaining are the reason that Interplay are screwed. They made some bad decisions, now they need to recoup their losses. That doesn't mean that the game will be shit. That's still pure speculation and you can't argue any other way.
The main reason they are focussing on consoles at the moment is because they can sell more on a console (the old cyclical sales thing again- see above). If they start turning a profit again, wouldn't it be nice to have a Fallout 3?
Oh and as for Rosh and St. P? They do that to any post that disagrees with their ideals. I was pretty much expecting a retaliation at some point from them.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Jimbo San wrote:Sure, some things might get changed. They did that to Fallout Tactics, lots of people bought it (goes and looks) and there's a thread to it here. You're going to have a hell of a lot of egg on your collective faces if this game turns out to be good.
So far, I think all of us can agree that it looks bad, and the developers have made no effort to make things better for us Fallout fans - do you think they'll make it any better before the release date? Undoubtedly.
Are you saying that intuition is good for nothing?
Mad Max RW wrote:I'd rather see the Fallout license rest in peace, to be perfectly honest.
I wholeheartedly agree. Fallout belongs as a dead, un-modernized legend.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

If FOBOS is a success we would more than likely see a FOBOS 2. Remember Fallout Tactics? It was a success at first and they started pre-production on Fallout Tactics 2. Companies in such shape as Interplay can't take chances. They stick to where the money is. Following a successful console game with something totally different is too much of a gamble.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

What today remains of our capicity to reinvent the world? Apparently not much, in the case of IPLY and Fallout. That pretty much explains why there's no FO3 and FOBOS instead.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

atoga wrote:So far, I think all of us can agree that it looks bad, and the developers have made no effort to make things better for us Fallout fans - do you think they'll make it any better before the release date? Undoubtedly.
Are you saying that intuition is good for nothing?
No. But that's your opinion. You can't tell what a game is like until you've played it yourself - anybody remember Rise of the Robots?

As for FOBOS2 - maybe they will. Maybe they won't. All I know is that right now consoles are a safer bet than PCs. For an ailing company like Interplay that could be their saving grace.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

forgive me for this assumption, but when was the last time a console-gone PC spinoff really worked - and was good? I have no idea but I doubt it's often.
Foldy
Regular
Regular

Post by Foldy »

There are those that have played the demo at E3 -- few of which (in fact, none to my knowledge) had anything nice to say about it.

I think it's more a feeling of resentment among Fallout fans who feel shunned and disrespected by those in charge of the project. Even if the game ended up being a blast, I really wouldn't want to contribute to the Cuevos cash fund.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

It depends upon what you mean by spin-off. There have been some succesful PC to console ports, e.g Deus Ex. Many games that are on both PCs and consoles are released at the same time. I can't off the top of my head think of an actual spin-off from a PC game that was released on the consoles at all at the moment.
But there's always the chance that it'll be good. Don't be so cynical...
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Not a port, since that really changes nothing beyond the exterior of the game. I'm talking about a full-blown spinoff with a completely different outlook on the game, changed for the wants of console gamers.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Equal and Opposite

Post by 4too »

Permission to 'de-breif' comrades........

Thank you....

"Equal and Opposite" is the theme.

There are reactionaries out there on the web kids.
The evil twins of our most passionate, and or, rapid, anti-FOBOS-ians. They have been generated, nay SPAWNED, in a Newtonian "equal and opposite" manner.

Hard to say if they are Interplay associates, Interplay wannabees,
or Do-Gooder Paladins (Interplay Do-Bees?) out to tilt the wind mills of DAC. Horrified by the flood of anger and frustration that 'poisoned' the Interplay Forums.

At a newsgroup:
ran into a sophisticated poster that had the Interplay Partisan's Party
Line down 'to a tee'. The style was very much like St._P.'s et al.
Denied seasoned experience of DAC and affiliation with Interplay, and yet had the style of the best word warriors. (Smoke 'n' mirrors, somewhere.)
Reasoned razor insights balanced by blunt twistings of meanings and
bald ass assumptions to pull one's chain and blow one's cool.
Reasoned refutings now, obscene explitives next.
All valid tactics in the debates that are duels. Forum Fan Fistocuffs; the best, or most accessible, Multiplayer experience that FO has to offer, so far. Lured me out to play, didn't it.

Newsgroup exchange:
Certianly out of my depth, lost my logic brain-links in the Beer War'z of the '70's, and had to resort to polite reminders of decorum and not polite "ad homenen's", wiggling back to a psychological point of distance.

Maybe it helped to observe that the '"Righteous" Defender of All Things Interplay' delighted in the gutter talk as any "Hater of All Things Interplay".
The storm abaited.

O.K. Got to taking it personnal......

Then I realized the soap box nature of the rants from left field. The words thrust rudely in my retorical mouth were set ups for pre packaged spiels against the "wanky" fan boyz of FO, as archtyped by the demizons of DAC.

4too had opinionated that FOBOS, even when spotted the BG:DA engine and the fame of FO, would be mediocre. Quality Assurrance and Interplay seem to be like oil and water. Takes a lot of shakin' to mix'em., seperate if unattended.
4too had been "profiled" as an 'Enemy of Interplay', and beneath contempt; well, I was given the 'utter' part of a 'contempt', that's 'like' the shadow side of a cow, right?

Saw myself as a strawman to be pillaried to avenge the "unholy" wrong done at he Interplay forum. The notorious "back stabbin'."

So when ya'll be out 'n' about, be prepared to wear the colors, because you WILL be painted >broad brushed< IF associated with ""Evil Nay-sayers" of Interplay"", and, or, the best FO Multiplayer experience, "DAC".

Still there-there Jimbo san?

Jimbo san is 'real' and forth right and has earned a respectful response.

In my mind:
The one point of light that has shined in this dark struggle has been my experience with two games.

BG:DA was what it was, and even I could
skull out the jumping puzzles, and share the cues with the kids.
Status points for 4too, nephew/niece presented me with $10 off coupon at Media Play as a rag 'n' tag of honor. Manipulative, right, a 4too and 'is money....soon parted.

If BG:DA performance is what the decision makers at Interplay aspire to, and they pull together a "CHAOS ENGINE" in game play,
http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/Reviews/TCE/
http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-ga ... engine.htm
then they will satisfy the target market of FOBOS, and prove they are game makers,(qualifiers optional), and not a corporate "money pit" and spawners of bugs.(*)

(*) Pardon. My scares from FOT are showing.

Thanks fo letting me share.

4too
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Re: Enlighten me...

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Jimbo san wrote:I've been away for a while, and I'm rather amused at the response that this game is getting.

I think you've been away for just a bit too long.
Jimbo san wrote:I'll admit that the very idea of a Fallout Game being developed solely for a (gasp!) console is a bit new, a bit shocking. And I'm well aware of the voraciousness of the fan community here. I've been (semi) keping up with this FOBOS nonsense, and I just want to know why, after bitching for years that Interplay haven't made a Fallout game, that as soon as they acquiesce you turn your nose up at it.
Please look at the FAQ. Please look at the press releases. Please read some of what's been going on while you were away. If you still think this game is a good representation of the Fallout world, let me know.

The game might be great for running around and shooting things with miniguns, but story wise, setting wise and plot-wise, irt doesn't fit the Fallout world.

Jimbo san wrote:So if they make this game, then perhaps more of a following will be atracted to Fallout and they will make FO3. Think about it. Don't bite the hand that feeds you...
Based on what evidence? As has already been said in this thread, FO:T almost led to FO:T2 until FO:T started getting canned really badly. BG:DA has lead to BG:DA2, not BG3. The closest thing to what we *think* was BG3, Jefferson, has been canned due to Interplay bungling the licence.

Whatever following this game does attract to FO, it will be the kind of following who like to play console games with thong girls in them and run around and shoot things. BEHOLD! The future of Fallout.

Is that really what you liked most about Fallout? Running around and shooting things? Are you in the same category of the reviewr who said, and I quote: "The best thing about Fallout, besides the weapons ...".
Jimbo san wrote:But there's always the chance that it'll be good.
Great, another "Wait til you play it!". I don't need to wait until I play it to know that thong girls (as witnessed in the trailer) heavy metal music (as heard in the trailer and read about in the FAQ) and West-Tech getting a hold of FEV (read the story on the web page) don't make any sense in the Fallout world at all.
Mad Max RW wrote:This is why we need a sticky or somekinda page explaining all the reasons why FOBOS is bullshit so even the most ignorant can understand.
It's being written.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Jimbo san wrote:I've been (semi) keping up with this FOBOS nonsense, and I just want to know why, after bitching for years that Interplay haven't made a Fallout game, that as soon as they acquiesce you turn your nose up at it.
Apparently you haven't been paying attention. There's a huge difference between a game that uses the name Fallout to prop up sales and Fallout 3, which is what most people want.

Most people weren't happy with the first spin off Interplay did with Fallout instead of making Fallout 3. You think they should jump for joy over another one?
What good will bitching do?
So far? It's done a whole lot.
Consoles are the future in many ways, computer gaming sales move in a cyclical pattern, and may be on the downturn.
This has been said since the late 1980s, and I don't see PC gaming dying any time soon.
So if they make this game, then perhaps more of a following will be atracted to Fallout and they will make FO3.
Didn't learn anything from Fallout Tactics, did you?
Think about it. Don't bite the hand that feeds you...
You left off the word, shit there at the end of that sentence.
You're going to have a hell of a lot of egg on your collective faces if this game turns out to be good.
I think it's a pretty safe gamble that won't happen.
Here's something else to consider - after all the shit some of you guys have put Interplay through regarding FOBOS, are you really encouraging them to make another Fallout game? No, if anything you'll put them off.
If they're just going to crank out bad spin off after bad spin off, do we really care if it puts them off? There's something about a dignified death, after all.
The community here is so rabid that no matter what Fallout game is produced, even the almighty Fallout 3 (if it ever materialises), and even if it were made by Troika, it isn't going to be good enough for you lot.
Now who's the one making the predictions that could lead to egg on their face?
Oh, and try to pull your head out of your ass and actually read my words for a change, MMRW. I resent being referred to as "ignorant". Every single member of this forum posts exactly the same reply every time somebody comes up with a thread like mine. Let's try and have an adult conversation, you know?
He wasn't calling you ignorant, he was saying we need to make a clear, concise list of things to refer to. However, it's ironic that you just jumped in front of the "ignorant" bullet, said his head was up his ass, and then asked for more adult conversation.

Considering you started your first post with this:
Oh, and if I get the retarded 3 sentence replies filled with "lol"s I expect I will get from some people, then I will once again know the calibre of a certain slice of the membership.
I'd say you were the first one flamebaiting in this thread. If you want to have more adult responses, then perhaps you should avoid the above method.
Oh and as for Rosh and St. P? They do that to any post that disagrees with their ideals. I was pretty much expecting a retaliation at some point from them.
Happy to serve.
As for FOBOS2 - maybe they will. Maybe they won't. All I know is that right now consoles are a safer bet than PCs. For an ailing company like Interplay that could be their saving grace.
Interplay's track record with consoles has been significantly more poor than their PC track record. Run Like Hell took four years to make and only sold 23k units. Galleon is going on five years of development with no release in sight. They've only made two console titles in their history that have broken 200k sales, BG: DA with nearly 300k sales and Caesar's Palace with nearly 400k sales. In the console arena, such low sales are considered flops.

The more you know!
------------------
Aegeri
Regular
Regular

Post by Aegeri »

Consoles are the future in many ways, computer gaming sales move in a cyclical pattern, and may be on the downturn. So if they make this game, then perhaps more of a following will be atracted to Fallout and they will make FO3. Think about it. Don't bite the hand that feeds you...
This is a ridiculously dumb argument and is repeated ad nauseum to defend this rubbish. Quite frankly, if the game DOES sell we WON'T get a Fallout 3, we'll get a Fallout: Brotherhood of canon raping 2. The same thing happened with Fallout Tactics (did we get a Fallout 3 then, oh wait WE DID NOT) and all they were going to do was make a fallout tactics 2. Of course, it turned out the game sucked and it broke its ass when it fell from the top of the sales charts really hard. They promptly decided to can work on it and butcher the franchise in another way.

Biting the hand that feeds you has nothing to do with it, if anything, we feed them. Games like Fallout:BOS are just a boot in the cock to the people they SHOULD be listening too.
I have returned from my dark slumber....
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Jimbo san wrote:What good will bitching do?
So far? It's done a whole lot.
And how much of that was productive?
Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Jimbo san wrote:Consoles are the future in many ways, computer gaming sales move in a cyclical pattern, and may be on the downturn.
This has been said since the late 1980s, and I don't see PC gaming dying any time soon.
I never suggested that PC gaming was dying. It goes through cycles - periods where people lose interest in PC gaming followed by periods of high interest. I think the last cycle peaked a few years back really, but that's just my opinion.
Saint_Proverbius wrote:
You're going to have a hell of a lot of egg on your collective faces if this game turns out to be good.
I think it's a pretty safe gamble that won't happen.
Let's actually wait for it be completed first, eh? If I'm wrong, then I'll willingly write a retraction. But if you're wrong, then you do the same.

Hmmm...?
Saint_Proverbius wrote:
The community here is so rabid that no matter what Fallout game is produced, even the almighty Fallout 3 (if it ever materialises), and even if it were made by Troika, it isn't going to be good enough for you lot.
Now who's the one making the predictions that could lead to egg on their face?
See above.
Saint_Proverbius wrote:
I'd say you were the first one flamebaiting in this thread. If you want to have more adult responses, then perhaps you should avoid the above method.
Flamebaiting? I had read some of the replies to similar topics and didn't want the replies to be of a similar calibre...
Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Happy to serve.
Much obliged.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Jimbo san wrote:*Snip*
That's lovely. Now why don't you address the issue at hand?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Maybe This Applies

Post by 4too »

Maybe This Applies

ViVendi, Interplay, and the rest of the fellow travellers, the rest of the usual suspects, are sellecting the content of their entertainment vehicles as money making ventures.

They are businessmen in a large
corporate structure: stock trading, controllers, executive assistants, auto deposits of payrolls, 401-k dispersments, and so forth.

The heads of this structure have stated to their stock holders how they plan to increase the value of their investments. One of these tricks is the leverage of existing titles. They are using the FO "status" and setting, and their proven console engine (BG:DA) to produce a console format game.

Some people in this bureaucratic heirarchy see "FO" as an asset.
When they judge the time is right they will not hesitate to exploit this asset. Marketing whims aside, the bets are hedged by the "right" content
that's on the shelves at the "right" time.

That's the wind up, and here's the pitch.....

Jimbo san:
Here's something else to consider - after all the shit some of you guys have put Interplay through regarding FOBOS, are you really encouraging them to make another Fallout game? No, if anything you'll put them off. The community here is so rabid that no matter what Fallout game is produced, even the almighty Fallout 3 (if it ever materialises), and even if it were made by Troika, it isn't going to be good enough for you lot. You can't make up your minds, and anything Interplay or Fallout related you just end up flaming or spamming.

I've read this before, some Interplay Partisans will fling this CONJECTURE as a vengeful spit in the collective fanbase face. Some very strong counter-anti-FO:BOS feelings out there. They will rip off the arms of anything they think one holds dear and beat one over the head with it, screaming cuss words as they pummel you for swearing. Kind'a psychotic ain't it.
....No, if anything you'll put them off. The community here is so rabid that no matter what Fallout game is produced, even the almighty Fallout 3 .....

Jimbo san did you come up with this CONJECTURE on your own, or did you read this on some forum? At DAC? Or did you have a pleasent lunch with the heads of ViVendi and Interplay? Do they "tip" well?

But seriously, this withholding of FO to PUNISH the fan base is a reoccuring theme. And it's often used in a MEAN SPIRITED and malicious manner.
The Good 'Do-Bees' of Interplay are no different than the Rabid Blackhearts of DAC (Chuck's pirates?) when it comes to ahhhh..... "horse shoes". You know, the "close enough" cliche.

Jimbo san, I do not see you as mean spirited and malicious. I see
you trotting out all the rationalizations to support your plea for patience.
I do not "hear you" suppressing opinions, rather that they be refined
and polished enough to mascarade as constructive criticism.

Pound the B.S. into bullets, fine, thar' be folks 'ere that'll hit the tie string on'a thong at 400 yards on'a cold an' rainy night with open sights, IF the Interplay SITE were open to constructive criticism.

Stressed by the negitive response of this segment of the fan base?
Where is the focus on the big picture?
Fan trauma BE DAMNED, (we'll always be here shoutin' and gesticulatin'),it's hard times at Interplay and the commanders in chief have chosen a FO console game to pay the rent. Buck up, and git that 'mutie' out the door I'play. Or are we competing on whose the loudest cry baby.......

But seriously, (now here's the pitch) why would Interplay leverage FO into a console game? FO is a valuable franchise. They chose to "play" this
"card" in this way. They "play" to win. They "play" to make money.
(now don't laugh, and interject the accellerated decay of their stock.)

Why would businessmen choose NOT to make money with FO? Because of a vocal and aggressive fan base?

Security concerns? Lock the doors. Too much stress on the dev's and mod's? Fine, close the forums.

Let some other company steal FO's mythos, and not pay for that priviledge? Mad Max 4 may be the tide to float ALL post apocalyptic boats. A FO 3 could ride the wave, with "free" product association.

With all the porn that passes for entertainment, are they too embarrased by FO to acknowledge that success and the fan base it generated?
Are they too "afraid" or "stressed" or SPITEFUL to make money?

Jimbo san don't you think that any FO product is a BUISNESS decission?
Would not a FOT 2, FO:BOS 2, ....OR.. a FO 3 be a buisNESS decission?

So why the conjecture:
....No, if anything you'll put them off. The community here is so rabid that no matter what Fallout game is produced, even the almighty Fallout 3 .....
Hundreds of thousands of fans of FO, all fans, Do-Bee's and Blackhearts,
have been crying for a FO 3 for YEARS. Now, can you seriously tell
me there will be no FO 3, or no SALE of FO to some corporation that CAN
create a FO 3, because of the conduct on the Interplay Forums and the
rauccus and ribold debates at DAC?

4too
Our Host!