New Modder-wannabe [Scripting tutorial by TryKos on page 2]

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

New Modder-wannabe [Scripting tutorial by TryKos on page 2]

Post by burgermeister01 »

Yea, the topic here kind of says it all. I'm more or less entirely new to modding for fallout. This morning though, I think I pretty much figured out what it's going to take to make my own fallout game. The biggest obstacle (outside of the questions I'm about to propose) is just learning all the syntax involved in making the scripts. Has there been any documentation on this outside of what was included with the mapper? That helps somewhat. Anyways, I have a few questions I wanted to ask...

1. Okay, I've been looing at the board and it seems theres a lot of confusion about compilers/pre-processing, etc, etc. all the stuff. I am little confused here to. What I have been doing so far to look at scripts is opening master.dat with datexlplorer, extracting what I need and then decompiling it with another outside program I got here at duckandcover. Then I can edit and from there.....I'm a little lost. How do I get it back into the master.dat file? Also, is there an easier way to do it than what I've found to work?

2. How do you edit combat statistics for critters? Stuff like armor and guns I'm guessign is assigned through the script files, but like, I was looking at the script for the plant monster in Arroyo, and I saw an attack function but its arguments only specified max. damage. Did I just miss it or?

3. Is there any sort of MOD team assembled already for a brand new fan-created fallout 3? If there is, I might be interested in joining up with something like that, if they would take me.

So yea, thanks in advance to any of you kind of people who help me out. I really hope I can get to the point where I can make my very own fallout game = D [/img]
My mantra: "Please for the love of God, just work..."
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

be patient.
we are ALL noobs to Fallout 2 editing, ( relatively speaking ) since the editor was only very recently released, although RED and a few others seem to have too much free time and not enough friends, and have been delving into the more dificult aspects of it all, and have posted some very usefull findings to the other posts..

in answer to your questions.

1.all of the scripts are provided with the editor, and there is no need anymore to de-compile them since they are provided in text files in the editors scripts directory.
These scripts need to be pre-compiled by a third party C compiler ( not provoded ) which just basically reads through the script file and, as an example, replaces all instances of a difined word with what it was defined as ( eg #define raiders 24, would replace the word raiders with the number 24 )
The pre-compiled script is then passed to the script compiler which finishes compiling it into a useable script.

2. Thing like combat statistics are assinged in the editor using prototypes, ie a creature is created with specific stats, and a copy can then be "stamped down" anywhere and will be the same as the original, unless you alter the "stamped down" critter on the map..
giving thing like weapons to pre-made critters is fairly simple, since you should just be able to add it to their inventory, but getting them to brandish that weapon is usually done in the script, or occurs as part of the critters AI response ( you shoot it, and it will shoot back..)
Be warned, not all critters have animations for all weapons, for example, scorpions cannot use guns.

3.There are a couple of mods going on, look on the duck and cover site for info..
Myself and a few others are looking into making our own, but we are still in the planning stage and nothing has been set in stone, so it may come to nothing.. i hope not but 90% of mods never get finished.
the shere scale of doing a whole new fallout user made game is huge, and making the maps is the easy part, for every map there may be 30 plus scripts, and that's not including the map script itself.
for every trapped door there is a script, for every floor trap there is a script, for every lift there is a script and so on and so on..
In the event that a user made fallout ever comes out, it won't really be fun for the makers since they already know the secrets, the endings, the shortcuts, the best way to reply in dialogues, and will always be looking at it from the makers point of view ( oh, we could have done that there. That looks a bit wrong, and so on.. )
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

I'd like ot point out I have very little time, though most of my free time is indeed speant on the subject... See, the thing is I've been toying with Fallout for over 4 years now and followed every peice of information I could on the subject, and tried to innovate myself (Red!Viewer supports FRMs and until Dim's mapper came out I never saw a viewer that supported FRM directions properly...)

The fact I know as much as I do isn't because I have too much time and no social life (well, I have no social life really, I prefer using such time for family time, although that might be considered social?), it's because I've been knee deep in it for ages.

I picked up clues here and there. For example I kept up with the compilers as much as I could. At one point I heard that the same language was used in Klingon Academy and the compiler was released for it, so I downloaded all that and checked it out as much as I could. When Noid's compiler came out I jumped onto that too and saw that he indeed based his work on the KA compiler (and Fallout internal data) rather then making funky stuff like IPP did, so I already knew his work was closer to the compiler then DEC/IPP was. When the real compiler came out, I was as close to the real compiler would be with available knowledge on the subject.

It's more a question of persistance and patience then of available time.
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

Re: I suck

Hmm, have some follow up questions to your answers:

1) Okay, I'm still really confused about this...I have both the script files from the mapper and master.dat extracted, so thereotecially I could add my own .int and .msg files, pack it up and then use them in the map editor for my critters and maps and shit, right? Now, I think I understand the idea with this preprocessing, but what C compiler should I use? Where can I get one? Also, maybe I'm just retarded (most likely) but this compile program that came with the mapper doesn't work it seems. When I try running it I get an error message that says: fatal error (1004): syntax is DOS4GW <executible.xxx> And I still haven't the foggiest how this is going to get a .ssl file into a .int. And then where does the list of scripts in the mapper read from, so that I know where to put my new .int's. I'm sorry I'm so much trouble, I'm not the swavest guy when it comes to this sort of thing, but I'm pretty determined to make my own fallout......even if (though) it (will take)takes me a year or more.

2)Hmm, I know that much. I guess what I'm asking is how can I make my own prototypes or change the old ones? I looked at the proto folder and I can't even figure out how to look at the files in there. Help!!

3) Well, like I've said already I'm determined. I'm well aware of the amount of time this is going to take, but hey, I think I'm up for the challenge, I just need some help getting started. But hey, I'm willing to help out other people too. I can can make okay maps already and the actual scripting part is coming along okay for me, so if you, ColJack, ever want any help, I will.

But hey, thanks for the help thus far. You should look at my other post "is this script right?", and tell me if I'm on the right path. I think I've already found some of the syntax errors, like I seem to forget begin statements.

Oh, and Red, don't let ColJack's impolite undertone get you down. I've read a bunch of your other posts, and you seem like an okay guy to me. Is there some kind of bad blood between you two or something?

Laterz everyone!
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

no offence was ment RED, it was supposed to be a joke.. guess i shoulda put a smily in..?

1. No idea, havent gotten into scripting yet.. i'm more of a map guy myself..
It recomends a C compiler in the readme that came with the editor, as that's the one they used.. and it is now available as an open scource download ( free ). Watcom i think it was called.. it's a big download though, so maybe you could try looking in your local newsagents to see if there's a free compiler on one of the cover discs.. i got borland delphi that way..

2. so far as i know, and from what i've read, you edit/create prototypes in the editor itself. but you need toturn the librarian mode on.. look for a line in the editors .cfg file that says librarian = 0 under the "mapper" section
I've not started messing with them yet so RED is probably your best bet for answers.

3. if you can script, you're in..
we really must get something official sorted out... i'll work on a website..
we've already got a storyline in rough draft, and i've sort of done a worldmap..
NumberZero
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by NumberZero »

oooh a worldmap? infos? also i havn't tinkered in the editor at all (due to the fact that i don't have my FO CDs anymore) but heck i'll help as soon as i get familiar with it.
hello, if your fallout idea starts with "Wouldn't it be cool", then i hate you, and i am very saddened by the fact that technology has not advanced to the point where you can reach out and touch other users, because i would strangle you.
Red

Post by Red »

you can find the keys here:
http://www.duckandcover.net/fanfallout/ ... layout.php

Note that I've already got version 1.2 ready... Since I'm not getting any more feedback from my "internal testers" I guess I'm ready to unleash it.

It includes instructions on how to get the PRO editing working in the editor.
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Blah

Okay, so I have watcom now.......what do I do with it? Red, you seem like the man with the answers.....could you tell me?

Man, I didn't even know that librarian mode existed before. It totally kick ass! You can really customize stuff this way, it's great. My only complaint is that I'm still oblivious as to how to make new stuff. I definetly want to make my own narcotics.

Well, Coljack, sign me up. I'll help with teh project anyway that I can. I'm really interested to hear your storyline thus far. I have (had one) of my own that I probably still will use, but I think it might suck. Although that depends. I've seen a few other user created story lines, and I see a lot of people using plot elements from the last two games (mutants, enclave, etc). Does this bother people much? What matters more: unique plot elements, or a really good storyline/climax even if you re-use ideas from the last two games? Hmm, probably wrong forum to be discussing this sort of thing, but oh well.

Hey, if nothing else, if you want help with the website, I can help with that too.

Anyways, hope to hear from you all soon...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Red wrote:The fact I know as much as I do isn't because I have too much time and no social life (well, I have no social life really, I prefer using such time for family time, although that might be considered social?), it's because I've been knee deep in it for ages.
And maybe because you're just so damn smart and quick learning, no?
Red

Post by Red »

I think it's more of a perseverance and motivation thing. If you have little motivation to learn something you often give up (well, I do...) With perseverance someone less gifted can grasp most anything but it'll take more time - and the more fruitless time you spend on something, the most often, the less motivating it becomes.

In my case it's a hobby and I enjoy it, so the motivation to keep up is there.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

just in case you're interested, here is our rather crappy website for our sequel ( i hate calling it a mod, since it's not just changing a few things, it's a new story.. )

http://www.coljack.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fallout/

we have the world map up, and will have the story up as soon as i can figure out how to use acrobat plug in...?
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

Hey, dude, if you want, I can do the website, since I'm pretty proficent at that sort of thing. Oh, and just for FYI, adding an acrobat file is as easy as ending your link tag with .pdf instead of .html.
like this: <A HREF="whatever.pdf">

But hey, the world map is lookin' good. I was considering using a new local alltogether, but that would be pretty hard. I still might when I get around to doing my own sequel.

Say, ColJack, are you NavyGuy445 on alt.games.fallout? If not, that guy is using like the same exact cities as you.

Uh, anyways, since my scripting questions are kind of going blissfully ignored, I guess I'll talk to you peeps later.
Red

Post by Red »

p.bat doesn't work for you?
or you don't know how to use it?

I know I had to change the batch file quite a bit to get it to work properly...

Anyway, to get the compiler to work you need to run it thourgh dos4gw:

Code: Select all

dos4gw compiler &#91;script&#93;
With appropriate paths et al.

I'll work on new batch file and try to get it to work with watcom wince I guess that's what most people will use.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

sorry to keep de-railing the thread like this, but he did ask..

no i'm not NavyGuy445.. he's the other member of the team.. ( does 2 people constitute a team?? )

I'm Crusader on the newsgroups. or rather was since i just changed it..

he's the story guy, and i did the worldmap.. that's why we are using the same names..
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

Gettin' Closer

Okay, you took me a step closer to getting this to work, Red. Now, my command line is gay (yes, it was sex with other command lines of the same gender), and doesn't work right half the time, so what I did was from its properties menu I changed dos4gw's path to what you said I should do, and I tried running it from the scripts folder and it kind of worked. It says one error found and then doesnt give me any ouput. The error says undefined symbol map_is_loading. I tried commenting that out but then it just said the same thing to the next predefined variable that was assigned in one of the header files. Tried doing it from the header file folder and that still didnt work. So it has some problem accessing the header files, and I have no idea how to fix that. I tried giving a specific path in the #include statement in the script i was trying to compile, but still, no luck. Any help would be praised greatly, Red!

Hey, ColJack, don't worry man, it's better that we have sparatic conversations within one thread than cluttering the main board with a bunch of threads.

Later everyone!
Red

Post by Red »

Basically it can't find whatever defines map_is_loading. Right now I'm betting you didn't precompile the SSL.

Check p.bat to see what you need to do to run it, wether in msdev or watcom.

I just downloaded watcom and installed it but didn't get time to check it out so I'm not much help there, ask me about msdev though and I'll be quite ready to answer any questions promptly.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Re: New, Clueless Modder-wannabe

Post by DarkUnderlord »

burgermeister01 wrote:Has there been any documentation on this outside of what was included with the mapper? <snip> I really hope I can get to the point where I can make my very own fallout game = D [/img]
I'm fairly confident that some dumb fuck will start a modding tutorial for Fallout soon. Either that or they've probably already started it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Red

Post by Red »

hmmm... i wonder who THAT could be...
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

hmmm... i wonder who THAT could be...
Hmm, I bet his name starts with an R and ends with an ED....
Red

Post by Red »

Nope

Sorry, try again. I hate wrting this stuff... Just look at the quality of my wrting in the stupid mapper keys... It's riddled with ambiguities and typos.
Our Host!