Fallout Vengence

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Fallout Vengence

Post by SeanDMan »

Obviously SDM Mod will not be the final name. I'm trying to think of something witty to call it, but this will be the topic where I store info, screenshots, a demo (MAYBE), and other assorted stuff. My knowledge of scripting is limited and my familiarity with editting Fallout is low, but my motivation is high and all the tools are in place, so it's just a matter of work.

I'm currently laying out maps, on paper, and graphically in the editor. I'm working with a shitty small ass moniter thats superdark, because I'm cool enough to let my brother use my 17 incher with good brightness to paly counter strike, in exchange for using his computer and it's video IO card to tape wrestling matches I have on my computer to make a tape. Thus, my work with the editor, and in Fallout, is limited somewhat, but I am spending what other time I have to write out the story, possible quests, and diolauges.

If you want to ask any questions, go ahead. I'm bookmarking this thread, and it will be used to post any media I have. I'll check it, probably daily, more if I have time, and will try to answer simple questions ASAP. If you want an explaination of the story, hang on, cause it's being written still. But, I have MEDIA! I'll put it up once I host it.
Last edited by SeanDMan on Sat May 31, 2003 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

Re:SDM Mod

Post by burgermeister01 »

Say, in case you haven't read any of my other posts on this board...I'm trying to work on my own fallout MOD. We seem to have similar experience working with the tools included (hell, we both have the same problem with our monitors actually), so I was thinking, if you want to join up, I'm all for it. Even if we have creative differences, we could still help each other out, you know. Uh, get back to me (email me or personal message me) if you're interested. I'd be really interested to hear about your ideas for a MOD.
My mantra: "Please for the love of God, just work..."
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

Okay, I'll send you an email tonight.

Anyone who was waiting for that media I promised, I decided you'd probably rather see the small movie I'm making for the opener instead of the shitty scribbles I made before beginning to work on the editor. If you want to see the scribbles, I'll show you them.

My video card farted, and when I uninstalled it and reset it up, I realized I had uninstalled the printer, scanner, sound card, ethernet card... so, I'm just recovering now, but I used the downtime (while searching for ethernet drivers) to do some mapping, and plot diolague. Most of my core story is done, and I'm now working on doing something Fallout never really offerred... making tough choices. I mean, you could give the Vertibird plans to three people, but if you gave it to the Brotherhood, you got to pick another person to give it to anyway, thus ensuring EVERYONE gave it to the Brotherhood. You could give the mining part to either group of Redding miners... but all it changed was your ending movie. You could be a made man for any family... and they all gave you the same discounts. I want to make my mod a game where you don't get one quest to get an item... that item can go to any of four places, and each will give you a different reward. I hope this will make the game more fun and will make it a little harder to get the "good" ending because you want that Power Armor or that Plasma Rifle now...
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

Re: You are right.

Dude, you are totally right. I never noticed that before, but that is definetly an element that is missing from fallout. That could make for some really interesting plot turns. I was thinking of something kind of similar. The thing is in fallout you're always dealing with other peoples' problems. You need to find the water chip for everyone else, you need to save your tribe, you need to save the rest of the world, etc., etc. No doubt something on that large a scale is interesting, but it's been done before. I was thinking.....what if the major plot motivator was about some serious problem the main character has. I don't want to give my whole idea away, but I was thinking an identity crisis would be cool to work with. Kind of like, Planescape:Torment, if you've ever played that game before.

But yea, I'll see this movie and the scribbles (why the hell not, eh), as soon as it's good for you to send/post them.

Later!
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

Oh my god, thats the second priority of my mod... you definitely sound like someone who has a lot of good ideas. I'm going to email you now, because I think we have a lot of common thoughts on what can make a fun story and a good addition to Fallout. In fact if I didn't know otherwise I'd think that you've been talking to me about my mod, and writing down all my good ideas. Image
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

The Team Grows

Allirighty, SeanDMan and myself have offically banded together to start a group that will make a fan based fallout. It is going to kick ass, and of course help is always welcome. Sean is already busy workin on maps, and I, once getting a new computer, am going to do the scriping. Also in the next few days we will have a website for our project.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

Okay, now that we are talking serious work and commitment, I have set up a set of developments for the next few days. Burgermeister and I have worked out how the work will be handelled; given his knowledge of scripting, he's gonna be my go to guy. I'll be mainly handelling diolauge when it comes to scripting... at least at first. My passion is for writing, not code, and Burger is gonna show me the basic form. Hopefully, since neither of us is professional, at basically anything, we can feed off each other in all areas. Currently, the mod is about 0.5% complete. Yeah, not very done, but a mod is a big project and you have to respect people who undertake it. Anyway, since only burgermeister has offered feedback to this thread, I'm changing it's name to draw peoples attention to the fact that it has been updated! And bumping it to the top sometimes helps too! Also, I'm opening up this topic as an FAQ. We don't have any screenshots up yet, but when the website launches, it will be followed very shortly by screenshots of maps in progress. When we update it in the future, hopefully once we start diolague scripting, it will feature some screenshots testing it with basic scripts. So, ask questions on the setting or any ambitions we may have, and I will be happy to answer them.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

Best of luck to you...

Now, are you sure you two don't want to join our mod.. we need scripters and dialogue guys.... :P

on a side note.. what happened to the smilies??

EDIT: oh and if you have any questions, i'll answer them if i can.. feel free to icq or PM me..
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Re: The SDM Mod

Post by ColJack »

SeanDMan wrote:Obviously SDM Mod will not be the final name. I'm trying to think of something witty to call it, .
how about "Fallout:Outcast!" ??

going from the other posts, how about a "between fallout's fallout.." as in the Struggles of the Vault Dweller and his Journey north, and the setting up of Arroyo??

No major underlying plot.. just him trying to make his way in the northern (as in northern california ) wastes.. with NCR as the expansionist bad guys..
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

Thats a cool idea ColJack, but we've mapped out most of our story. And don't worry, the Vault Dweller indeed went north...

For now, we've settled on the working title Fallout: Vengence. The title fits in more ways than one, which I can't help reveal anymore Until the website and info are up. For now, you'll have to stick to asking blind questions on a mod you haven't seen yet, and that I'm too lazy to even make a website for :S
JohnPnP
I play with my P(n)P
I play with my P(n)P

Post by JohnPnP »

Well, I look forward to this with minimal apprehension.
Although there are some cliches i would think you would have got...
Oh well
EzekielLyne (8:34:01 PM): would you be the one they make fun of?
EzekielLyne (8:34:31 PM): like "This here is John, the retarded gamer, he enjoys madden 2005, and grand theft auto
EzekielLyne (8:35:02 PM): and he is eagerly expecting the arrival of the next Lara Croft game
17th Warrior
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by 17th Warrior »

hi!
just one thing:
Fallout 2 is the best.
:) :) :) :) :) :)
To the Stranger and Vault 13:

What doesn't exist, we must sometimes dream
and let our dreams inspier us to greater heights.
So it was with the Stranger and his belief in
the legend of Vault 13.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Is it just me, or is the 17th Warrior doing random useless posts? Reminds me of some of the dudes from V13 that got banned...Except their posts were somewhat entertaining to make fun of...
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

I've been wondering the very same thing Extreme Drinker.

On that note, while there are cases where one liners are fine, random one line posts in the middle of threads can become annoying especially when it is all one seems to post. I'd suggest that giving the opinion that FO2 is the best is just fine but why not expand on that a bit (preferably in the FO2 section)? If english isn't your best language, that is ok, just give it a shot & you are sure to get a responce if you put some thought into what you have to say.

Have fun posting & interacting with this fine, albeit, slightly jaded Fallout community.
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

So far, 17th Warrior's posts in this forum have mostly been relevant to the topic in question (with the exception of this one, which I'm not sure how I missed). I wouldn't suggest people start making more posts that are off topic and contain little or no information- I like not having to do much of anything to moderate this forum. But I will delete spam when I catch it.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

Well, they have been relevant, they have sometimes been silly, such as his Fallout 2 poll. Everyone in a Fallout community is going to like Fallout 2.
MoRkA
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by MoRkA »

How's the MOD fare?
This is a signature ...
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

Uh, good. We're working mostly on diolague scripting for now, and I'm working on the graphics for our website which should be up later today. I've sent out our press release to several DACers in #fallout, and have gotten a few good questions and some interest and well wishes, so I would define out progress as fairly good.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

hurry up with that website will ya.. i want to put you in our links section..
burgermeister01
SDF!
SDF!

Hey

Just to let everyone know, SeanDMan is away for about a month so any inquires or assistance should be directed to me, specifically via personal messages.
Our Host!