Editing and using critters

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Editing and using critters

Post by Megatron »

Is FUCK the only way to edit critters?

Do critter scripts work in F8-mode?

----------

If we put a locker down somewhere, then edit the contents does that edit the contents of every locker in the game?

thanks
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Yes, use the editor.

Yes, the script work in the editor's game mode - within limits of the script of course since the GVARs won't be set (well, unless you set them in game.txt 'for you start the editor - if you're lucky it refreshes them when you load a map, I'll have to look into that as it'll be quite handy for testing).
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Re: Editing and using critters

Post by Temaperacl »

If we put a locker down somewhere, then edit the contents does that edit the contents of every locker in the game?
No, an item's inventory is unique to that item.
Zeronet
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zeronet »

If i name a new critter, put its PRO file in the Fallout data\proto\critters directory, will it appear in the editer?

Are there any guides to using FUCK? Seems every time i edit a NPC save it, when i reopen it, its back to how it was before.
Red

Post by Red »

I don't know nor care about FUCk as all the functionallity has been implimented (and more) in the normal editor.

Yes, you can use custom PROs in the editor with the only limitation that it seems you can't edit them if they are over the game's expected number of PROs... But they still work.
Zeronet
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zeronet »

How would i create a new NPC in the editor? Really, all i want to do is change the names of some NPCs.
Red

Post by Red »

The names of NPCs are all defined in the msg files in text/english/dialog...
Zeronet
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zeronet »

It is possible to create new NPC within the editor? Nothing i,ve tried seems to work.

The thing im trying to do is, make basically people the same as the Enclave guards, people, but with of course different names, without overwriting the Enclave stuff.

In the editor, i,ve tried changing the names, doesnt work. Tried using the liberian function and creating new directories and F.U.C.K doesnt seem to ever save changes to Enclave stuff.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

It depends exactly on what you want to do:

If you want to edit the stats of the critter/NPC: You must edit a pro file or insert a new one.

If you want to change names, dialog, or descriptions: You need to edit the msg files. If memory serves, The general name for critters is in pro_crit.msg and the text displayed when you examine a critter is stored in an .msg file that the script draws from. So if you to change the text displayed when you examine a critter, you either have to edit the script so it figures out which one you are trying to look at and picks the right name, or you have to make a new script for each critter you want differently named, each pointing to different lines in the .msg file (or different .msg files)

If you want to change the way and NPC acts: You need to edit the script files.
Zeronet
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zeronet »

Thanks, i,ve managed to get a Enclave looking soldier replacing the Special Gecko Critter, with a different name. I guess with time i'll fiqure this scripting editing business.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Red wrote:The names of NPCs are all defined in the msg files in text/english/dialog...
Red,

I've tried to find any *.msg file in both my FO2 and FO2 Mapper directories, but no joy. I can't find a .../text/english/dialog path anywhere, either. Do I need to unpack any of the FO2 data files before I can muck around with them?
Red

Post by Red »

Um, yes. master.dat then overwrite with patch000.dat
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Red wrote:Um, yes. master.dat then overwrite with patch000.dat
OK... which is the best of the .DAT extraction tools that are in the DaC FO2 Modding Tools section at the moment, in your opinion?

And when you say 'overwrite with patch000.dat', does that mean I need to unpack the patch; then cut-and-paste all the files in it into the directory containing all the unpacked master.dat files, so that all the old files with the same name are replaced?

Thanks for the continued answers, btw. :)
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I like the dat explorer because it has a pretty comfartable GUI.
Red

Post by Red »

Dat Explorer's cool... What I don't like about it is that if I click on a huge folder it takes forever to load... then I accidently click on another and *poof* all that waiting time is lost and you have to start over.

So If you're prone to clicking other folders I don't recommend it, othewise it seems more fluid then DatMan.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I guess it doesn't matter much if you have a lot free space.
The best course of action is to unpack everything.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Dan wrote:I like the dat explorer because it has a pretty comfartable GUI.
lol, I went with Datman Light before I read your post, Dan.

Seemed pretty user-friendly that one, too.
Our Host!