Question about worldmap.

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
NumberZero
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Question about worldmap.

Post by NumberZero »

well, to start with, i havn't tried the ditor yet.

My question concernes the worldmap: Can the worldmap be changed?
1)Can the sector tiles be changed?
2)Can new locations (The Green circles) be added
3)If not, can current locations be renamed and replaced with user made maps?
4) Can, and i'm not expecting anything, the world map size be increased? IE: can you add sector tiles?

thanks.
hello, if your fallout idea starts with "Wouldn't it be cool", then i hate you, and i am very saddened by the fact that technology has not advanced to the point where you can reach out and touch other users, because i would strangle you.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

1) Yes, they're just FRMs (with a bitmask wether you can traverse them, the MSK files I think?)

2) Yes though you have to be careful as if you add more then the game allows cities then it crashes. TeamX released a patch to add cities to rectify that problem but it involves changing Fallout2.exe (well, the patch changes it for you)

3) Yes

4) Yes
NumberZero
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by NumberZero »

thanks for the reply. i had thought that the engine was much more limiting. Also, Fallout 2 had a LOT of cities, and if you can add more green circles than that (possibly) its encouraging.

well, i think i'll go tinker around with the editor now, thanks.
hello, if your fallout idea starts with "Wouldn't it be cool", then i hate you, and i am very saddened by the fact that technology has not advanced to the point where you can reach out and touch other users, because i would strangle you.
Red

Post by Red »

I think there's another problem with extra citities: they won't show in the little scrollie on the right with the taped tags. They might show up actually since I never checked, but I'm quite sure they won't. I don't care much about them personally as I never use them.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Red wrote:TeamX released a patch to add cities to rectify that problem but it involves changing Fallout2.exe (well, the patch changes it for you)
Red, I couldn't find that patch in the DaC FO2 modding files. Do you have a link to it, please?
Red

Post by Red »

Sadly, no. It should be somewhere on the modding forum itself. I have it downloaded personally (though not installed).
Aneurysm
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Aneurysm »

:dead: In remembrance of Porcu :dead:
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Red wrote:1) Yes, they're just FRMs (with a bitmask wether you can traverse them, the MSK files I think?)
Yup, the MSK files indicate the passable areas within tiles. If there is no mask file associated with a tile, then each part of that tile is passable.
NumberZero
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by NumberZero »

one more worldmap question: I remember in FO1, when travelling through the mountains you went slower than when, say travelling across the mountains. I don't remember if it was like that in FO2. So, can areas within tiles be designated as "slow travel" or "normal travel"?
Red

Post by Red »

You don't rememeber it because of the CAR. The feature's in there in FO2 too. You can even fiddle with the "slowdown" in worldmap.txt for 4 types of tiles. Though I think one's ocean and it's nor really crossable, but then again it's already in the MSK, so maybe we could assign it another value regardless.
Jargo
Respected
Respected

Post by Jargo »

NumberZero wrote
4) Can, and i'm not expecting anything, the world map size be increased? IE: can you add sector tiles?

RED
4) YES

Yes ? I try to add new sectors but this do nothing.
So how you do it Red?
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

it can only be 5 "tiles" high ( i think since i can't find the variable to alter height..) but there it a line in the file WORLDMAP.txt, near the end that specifies how many tiles accross it is...
and from the look of it, the msk files are only there for the sectors with water in them... to stop you running into the water i suppose...

i read somewhere a long time ago that the speed at which you move accross the map was determined by the alpha channel of the image (that right? the greyscale part of the image?? )
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Thanks. :)

Added to the FAQ thread.
Our Host!