The Siege of Montciel

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

The Siege of Montciel

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

Here's a short story:

The Siege of Montciel
Jack flung into the trench. A grenade hit the ground behind him and oozed a cloud of smoke. Marc rushed up to Jack.
“Are you alright, Jack?� Marc shouted while he grabbed Jack’s sleeve.
Jack got up. Marc pulled Jack with him. “Come on, Jack! We got to get out of here!�
The two men ran towards a sap, bullets whistled around them. While they were running they noticed a platoon of the attacking force did a desperate resistance to slow down the enemy counterattack. Although the resistance was quickly knocked down, the bravery of these 40 men managed to save hundreds from certain deaths in the counterattack. Marc and Jack managed to get to the sap alive and continued running towards the second trench line. Behind them a wave of enemy soldiers and armed farmers, almost a thousand, poured out, having crushed the rearguards already. The siege force responded to the counterattack by open fire with heavy machineguns. Most of the soldiers pulled back, knowing that they stood no chance against heavy weaponry like this, and the few that reached the first trench line got killed within some minutes. Jack was able to find his platoon, or at least what was left of it, and participated in the retaking of the trench line he abandoned twenty minutes earlier.

Colonel A. Banks grimaced while he looked in his binoculars. The first assault had been hit back and forced Banks’ soldiers to leave the first trenches. He noticed sergeant Green’s platoon, which sacrificed itself in order to save friends and countrymen. “If only all my soldiers were like them� Banks thought and sighed. He screamed out an order to a lieutenant about forcing the enemy back to the city, gather his soldiers and await an order about a new assault.

The campaign had gone surprisingly good so far for NCR’s part. With the help of equipment from the Brotherhood of Steel and thanks to the newly formed alliance with the New Aztec Empire NCR’s army had been able to press a long way over the border of United Faith Alliance. UFA had been forced to fight a two front war, in south against NAE and in west against NCR and UFA’s forces had been pressed towards their capital Vail.
But, in wartimes nations often help each other against common enemies, and UFA managed to form an alliance as well. Together with Century City and United Caribbean, two nations that are competing with NAE over controlling the Caribbean, UFA could force NAE to pull its forces back to the Yucatan Peninsula to face the invasion.
This has given NCR a small breathing space and the remaining battalions from the south front has gathered under lieutenant general Stevenson and moved north to protect Vail. Reinforcements were at this point days from the city, though, and should Montciel fall before they arrive UFA will be forced to conclude an expensive peace in order to prevent Vail from being destructed, a peace that would strengthen NCR’s power position in the Midwest considerable.

Colonel Banks knew this and imagined what rewards he would receive if he were able to take the city within a few days. Because of that he gathered as many soldiers as possible in order to stage a large, successful assault. Montciel had been under siege almost a week and nearly half of the defenders already laid dead on the fields around the city.
The counterattack was quickly crushed and after half an hour work-bots were digging an additional trench line.

Jack watched as the robots excavated paths and avoided getting hit by shots from the defenders. His platoon had suffered heavy casualties in the first assault, among others the sergeant had fallen, and it was united with sergeant Stark’s platoon. After an hour the robots were finished and the Colonel gathered his soldiers in the new trench. Jack was nervous and frightened of what would happen when they left the somewhat safe trench. Just before the order about an assault was spoken tanks and artillery issued a massive bombing towards Montciel’s strongest defence-positions. The order that followed resulted in that four battalions of well-equipped infantry poured towards the city. The front platoons were mowed down relatively easy by the defenders, but before they had caused any major casualties in the enemy lines, the assault force were within hundred meters of the city walls. The desperate defenders forced the whole city to take up arms; they would win or be totally extinguished. Jack was one of the first to reach the walls. The explosive experts in the platoon placed explosives along Montciel’s walls. The explosion became the signal for the city’s rebel faction, known as True Christianity. Month’s earlier NCR spies had been in contact with the rebels, and they had promised each other help in order to defeat UFA’s soldiers in Montciel. NCR’s soldiers knew they were not allowed to shot at anyone holding a white handkerchief in his or her hand, but not until now they understood why. While the defenders gathered within the razed wall to put up a last, desperate resistance they noticed a large force of citizens attacking them from behind. This was too much, and most of the remaining defenders threw their weapons. A couple of companies were ordered to collect the weapons thrown to the ground.

The colonel had just seen his soldiers conquer Montciel when a scouter pulled over next to him. The scout jumped out and approached the colonel.
“Colonel Banks, sir, UFA’s army has been seen a days march from here, they’ll arrive at Vail before us if we doesn’t leave immediately.�
“Damn! Then we must defeat the army to, before we can talk about peace. How could they get here so fast?�
“I don’t know, sir.�
The colonel turned around and shouted to his lieutenants.
“Give order about an immediate departure from the city to march towards Vail as fast as possible. Leave a small garrison at about a hundred men, and let the rebels take care of the prisoners.�

Once again the troops were gathered and orders were given about departure. The company Marc and Jack was part of had been stationed to guard the city and they watched while the rest of the soldiers marched east, to defeat UFA once and for all…[/b]
DarkAvatar
SDF!
SDF!

Post by DarkAvatar »

Awesome! I like it a lot you should do more
Derente porte emine pateste, pul mephistos, zarados necrei, enterrim garramos!
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

I'm about to create some more, they're part of my history to what happened after Fallout 2.

Some titles coming up:
Yucatan Invasion

The Funding of New Arroyo

A new utopia

The wanders of a Deathclaw

UC's expansion northward

The enclave after the destruction of the oilrig

Also, I'm writing about what happened to cities, and are going to add a site about the persons.

Links:
The Library of Montciel

History and short-stories
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Dogmeat
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dogmeat »

Umm... could you describe a bit more about who Jack is?
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

Actually I have no clue who Jack is, but Marc is however the same Marc as the one in my The Tales of a Wanderer

Maybe I'll add some explaination somewhere in that story, but I'm just on chapter 5 and I don't think I'll mention Jack before chapter 8.

He is probably just an original NCR soldier, born near Shady Sands, around 20-25 years of age... I might add him to my upcoming "Wasters" section on my site.
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

A new utopia

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

Okay, here's my latest short-story (half made)

A new utopia
The super-mutant climbed up the cliff, eager to see what lied behind the hills. Being in the desert for nine days without seeing so much as a tribal village the mood began to sink among his followers. Although there was no lack of food, it had been a really long walk from the ruins of Broken Hills and even the super-mutants’ feet were covered in blisters. But it wasn’t the blisters that caused the bad mood, and not the waster either, as the super-mutants could drink slightly radioactive water without getting sick of radiation poisoning. The problem was that Caliente, due to the research the mutants did in Vault 11, should have been 9 days by human foot south of the Vault, and as super-mutants often travel faster than humans, they should have been there by now.
They were less than 40 now; when they set out from Broken Hills they were almost 200. Sickness and raiders had taken their toll, but most had left the group looking for treasures or trying to solve quests for the small border towns between NCR and UFA. The last splitting happened nine days ago, at Vault 11, when Jane and the remaining ghouls and humans decided to stay some days longer than the mutants, then travel east. It was certain that the party could not survive an attack from raiders, being less than the number they were at the time, and it was crucial for them to not split again.
Marcus knew this, but he did also know that there would soon be a mutiny or such, if he didn’t manage to lead the party to Caliente. This day had started particularly bad. Some younger super-mutants had questioned Marcus’ leadership wanting Larry to take over; of course the older mutants had taken his side, making the situation very tense for a while. It was with these thoughts in mind that the massive mutant reached the top…

Sighs was heard from the mutants as they noticed Marcus’ sad face when he returned. Larry stepped forward. “You see now that Marcus cannot lead us? It is his fault we’re not in Caliente.�
“Shut your filthy mouth Larry, I’m warning you� Marcus said, as he had heard Larry’s speech.
“Yeah, so?� Larry responded, “I no like you, you no like me. Me be leader or we fight.�
The old mutant began to grow tired of the younger mutant, but ignored him at the moment.
“I could not see Caliente from the cliff, but we cannot give up now. We must continue as we have no homes anymore and our only chance of survival is find our utopia.�
“How we trust you? Never heard of -sacred- place, brothers not have either.� Larry seemed to be getting angrier.
“Because I know it exists, and that it’s south from here, we must have made something wrong while trying to find out the location, that’s all. It’s to the south, I am sure of that.�
“We wandered many days. Feet hurt. We no trust you Marcus.�
“Then leave� Marcus said, his voice seeming real angry “But be warned that raiders will hunt you down and kill you within days.�
“We kill raider, no kill us. Muties, follow me if to survive!�
A couple of mutants followed Larry, but as they saw no one else followed they returned to the group. “What be your problem, you no wanna live? Follow!�
As Larry saw the other mutants had no intention following him he got furious. He removed his knife from the belt and raced towards Marcus screaming. Marcus managed to react and the old mutant dodged the attack and forced a kick into Larry’s side sending him flying through the air. Larry got up on his feet again and managed to hit Marcus in his leg, the knife tearing off a big amount of flesh and skin. Marcus groaned but quickly made a counter-attack, kicking Larry in the groin making him pass out due to the pain. When he eventually woke up he was looking into Marcus minigun. “Get lost� Marcus said. “And thank The Master you are not dead already.�
The young mutant got up and left the camp, muttering something about the stupidity of the other super-mutants.

Marcus turned to the others. “You see now what happens? He will surely perish without the safety of being part of a large group, and so will certainly all of us do, if more chooses to leave. Must I remind you that there’s large numbers of rangers in the area? Let us continue south.�
They traveled another day, and then Marcus left the group again, as he saw a new lookout point. After having climbed up he searched the horizon for any signs of a town. And there it was, to the south and a little bit to the west. Marcus felt the happiness and relief come over him and got ready to climb down, to tell the other super-mutants what he had seen, when he suddenly noticed some shadows behind him. He turned around, facing Larry and a small group of raiders. “Traitor� he screamed so loud that his followers heard it. Then they heard gunfire and rushed to the top. When they got up they saw Larry, near death due to his wounds, his torso having a large hole in it due to Marcus’ minigun.
“Where is Marcus, you damn sob!?� Francis said, as he had taken the leader roll at the moment.
Larry opened his mouth to speak. “Raiders got that bastard, he might have gotten me, but his faith will be as cruel as mine…�
“Thank you for the info, traitor, let me do you a favor. Stand back everyone!� Francis said as he took a grenade from his belt, armed it and pressed it down Larry’s throat, before running to take cover. Within seconds the remains of the mutant became nothing more than blood and pieces of flesh, flying through the air. Francis checked the ground, and managed to find tracks, leading to the west.
“Follow me� he said. “Let’s free our leader!�
And then all the super-mutants raced down the hill in the direction the tracks were leading to. They focused their eyes on a prick about a mile ahead of them, knowing that Marcus was part of that, and so did the big hunting begin…
Our Host!