Roadside Picnic

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Roadside Picnic

Post by Lunchmeat »

Apparently STALKER is based on this short story. I just started reading it and so far it is pretty good. You can find it translated from Russian right here.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Nice. But I'm too lazy to read 30 pages, anyone have read it and willing to knock it down in a post?
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

I'm almost halfway through it. So far we've established the main character, Red. Red is a stalker. Red and his buddy go into the Zone looking for an artifact called a "full empty." During their excursion something happens to Red's buddy that seems insignifigant at the time. Red goes and gets drunk as soon as he gets back from the Zone. Soon after that he learns that his buddy is dead, heart attack. This convinces Red that the Zone is a bane to human kind and should be off limits. The first chapter ends as he learns his girlfriend/wife (i'm not sure) is pregnant. This fact is the source of mixed emotions as apparently children of stalkers end up as freaks.

At the beginning of the second chapter it is apparent that some time has passed since the first. It also switches narrative style from that of first person in Red's point of view to a standard third person narrator. It begins at what appears to be the end of a Zone trip gone somewhat awry. The man who Red was with has had an accident and things look grim. Looks like they've been ratted on and the cops are looking for them right at their exit point. They evade the cops and get Red's "partner" to some medical attention. Red goes home to his wife Guta and his kid Monkey. Yeah, Monkey is a wierd name for a kid, but being the child of a stalker this kid is wierd. The girl has fur. That's right fur. Red sorts the loot from his most recent trip and that's about where I left off.

This description so far has been very very vague and the actual story is so much more interesting than I make it out to be. It's late and I can't think straight is my excuse.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Thanks mate, sounds like this guy could be on the Jerry Springer show.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

The films better, the transition from colour to B&W is fantastic.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

there's a film?
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

yep Rusky film Stalker, its on Film Four a lot if your in the UK
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

never heard of it. wonder how hard it would be to find here in the states.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/scifihorror/p ... 28897.html

Looks cool... I'm going try and find this DvD.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

sounds like they changed some things.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

Well the games based FAR more on the film then the book. For one its nothing to do with aliens and to do with the Chenoybl theme of the film.
NumberZero
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by NumberZero »

Well, to be fair, the only part of the book that had anything to do with aliens was that the zones were caused when aliens landed on earth and dropped off all their garbage, scrap metal, depleted bateries, and various nicknacks that they had in the attic. Also their various useless items happened to be perpetemobiles, ultra-high gravity marbles, radioactive waste, trans-dimentional wormholes, antigravity stasis feilds, and also a bronze sphere that grants wishes.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Can't find the movie anywhere and this all sounds so nice :).
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Roadisde P., Zone, Stlaker

Post by PiP »

I've read the book and I'm gonna see the film, I already know something about it.
I've read it in Polish, and I'm 95% positive that the translation is very good. I will have a glance through the English version and tell you what I think bout this translation (I'm a transaltor myslef, in case you find mistakes in my posts, bear in mind that translators work WITH various dictionaries and other books - the point is we can do it better than others; I don't use any books while writing posts :P )

About the book: well, actually it's about human nature, about the meaning of life, about conscience, about the way people tend to exploit everything and lie to themselves and others that it's all right, about choosing personal goals and finding one's own definition of decency, about human ignorance, about our misconception of the world in that we try to impose human terms on anything we deal with - aliens standing for any subject of human 'discovering' and 'trying-to-make-subordinate' attitude (also intelligible). These themes are chiefly dealt with in the last two chapters, the first half of the book is a preparation of sorts. There's nothing special in most of what happens there: people live, get money, swear, drink, smoke, hit one another: just like in hundreds of stupid films. Still, we get the feeling that Red Shoehart is not just one of many tough guys who's gonna beat up the bad guy somewhere towards the end of the book. I liked the second part of the book much more, esp. the talk btw Pillman and Richard, and the last chapter.

About the film: I'm not sure about the English title, but in Russian and Polish it's 'Zona' (so maybe English Zone?) Tarkowski (the director, maybe also scriptwriter) is praised by many. However, I must put a disclaimer here. In Poland, this book was recommended by Mr Stanislaw Lem, who wrote 'Solaris', also filmmed by Tarkowski. Lem crticised both films for not conveying the message of the original, possibly also for some other things. Lem is a supreme authority in many fields, sci-fi books and futurology among them. I intend to provide my own assessment of the film; yet Lem's opinion should not be overlooked.

By the way, Lem's 'Solaris' has been just filmmed again - this time with Clooney, etc. I hope they haven't made it a complete crap.

Sincerely,
PiPBoY :)
Last edited by PiP on Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PiP

fuck

Post by PiP »

I can already see some mistakes in my last post :P
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Re: fuck

Post by axelgreese »

PiP wrote:I can already see some mistakes in my last post :P
That's what edit button is for ;)
PiP

thanks axelgreese

Post by PiP »

I'm a newbie, you see...
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Re: thanks axelgreese

Post by axelgreese »

PiP wrote:I'm a newbie, you see...
quite
Demon-X
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Re: thanks axelgreese

Post by Demon-X »

I don't like the look o' you bwoy!
PiP

x-demon

Post by PiP »

Demon-X wrote:

I don't like the look o' you bwoy!
stop looking then :P or else some day you might see sth u really don't like, if you catch my drift. unless it's a joke: haha then.
Our Host!