AK-47 Mod

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

AK-47 Mod

Post by Lunchmeat »

Anyone have or have a link to the mod that changes the assault rifle to an AK-47?
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Actually I could do that, I just dont want to. I want m-16ish or P-90ish looking assault rifles for mine - I think AK family weapons are ugly.

Here's what i'd do:
* Run the Spray.exe program for FoT.
* Open up the ak-47.spr file from Fallout Tactics.
* Take a screenshot (print screen key in windows).

(--notice the above three steps are only used to obtain an ak47 image, if you already have one of sufficient quality, ignore those three--).

* Load up my paint program (PSP v5, for me).
* Paste the screenshot as a new file.
* Select the portion that has the weapon.
* Copy and paste in a new file.
* Set my paintbrush tool to 1 pixel and zoom in for bitmapping.
* Eliminate the fuzz around the weapon (caused by antialiasing and alpha channels on behalf of FoT and spray).

* Take an image from fallout (converted from .frm format) and save it's palette. Then increase the brightness on the image by 200%, perhaps tweak the gamma or RGB; and save that palette too.

* Load the brighter version of the standard Fallout palette into the new ak-47 image (remap the colors!).
* Load the original fallout color palette (dont remap!, will look darker).
* Fill in blank space with the white color (index 0).
* Crop the image, leaving as little whitespace on the ends of the weapon as possible.

* Run the Frm header generator on the image to generate a .inf for the bmp2frm program.
* Run bmp2frm.exe on the image (bmp2frm -p color.pal ak47.bmp)
* Rename 'ak47.frm' to 'grifle.frm'
* Copy to the 'fallout2/data/art/inven' directory and run the game to see if it screws up. If it doesnt (and new gfx shows), you've got a winner - score 10 points for you.

'Course I haven't used the FRM header generator yet, so at the moment I just take a picture of the AK-112 (fallout assault rifle), blank it out, and stick my gfx in it instead.

Unfortnatly at the moment, all of my gfx are too small to be very appealing on the inventory / status bar.
Our Host!