do think you think real vaults would work??

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

do think you think real vaults would work??

no
35%
don´t know
65%

Total votes: 17

Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

IMO, if there will be civilian vaults built in THIS WORLD, they'll be the last building job. First of all the private investors will use their power to build vaults -> to be entered against a fee. Anyways, they are making business to the end of the world! Then governements will build their own, where they'll stuff all the big bosses, generals etc.

The "average Bobby Broothill" will propably just face a horrible nuclear holocaust :?
Flying Pig
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flying Pig »

if i am correct norad is just a large radarnet to warn the us and canadians of a nuke attack you can find some info about it on google here is the link to what i found
:arrow: http://www.norad.mil/
oojie doojie boojie to you to!
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

And the command center is in Cheyene Mountain which is what is being discussed. :wink:
Flying Pig
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flying Pig »

i brought it up because some people i´ve met think it´s a huge under ground bunker.It can´t be like in fallout tactics REASON the american goverment would never spend millions of dollars to make a huge comand center for a radar net

that´s why
Chrille
Respected
Respected

vited don´t know

Post by Chrille »

I mean , why not?
---Pain is Temporay, Glory is Forever---
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

NORAD isn't a very good example of a nuclear shelter. As pointed out, it's a military installation. ARK2 is a much better example, since it's a civilian shelter:

http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/

That's an interesting site, since they have all kinds of information on nuclear attacks and survival.

Now, if you're talking about Fallout style vaults, keep in mind that you're only shown a tiny part of the Vault-Tec Vaults in those games. There are actually ten floors, as seen here:

http://feedback.interplay.com/fallout/i ... fall09.gif

Also, as far as boredom goes, you're forgetting the SimTek 5000, which is what actually runs Fallout(Page 2-1 of the Fallout manual).
------------------
arthur
SDF!
SDF!

Post by arthur »

err ,Flying Pig?

the norad command center is in cheyenne moutain
it is real ,i have been there in my military days (guarding the surface base entrances)

it is HUGE, and Very ,very ,real
you(well some of you) will be placed on the protected lists when my people come to take over this planet
This is Gonna Hurt
Respected
Respected

Post by This is Gonna Hurt »

Hm...couple things...

1.As far as I can remember from the Holo-TV thing the big problem
was making a laser strong enough to sustain the image and not blind the viewers...but maybe that's changed.

2.Water filtration is definitely not a problem. Hell, you can add household bleach to water in the right mixtures and preserve it for a very long time.

3.I still doubt a vault system would work, for two reasons. First, it seems to me that not enough people are simply morbid enough to properly plan for every contingency possible in the vaults. Along those lines, there would almost certainly be factors we cannot possibly plan for, something unexpected like a smoking technician near the hydrogen refinery or a disease being passed amongst the entire colony, mutating, and subsequently wiping it out. A vault would need more redundant systems than the space shuttle makes use of, and more reliable ones, at that.

Just my thoughts.
I'm not evil, I just like making things explode

"...It IS hard to speak with six inches of knife sticking out of your face. They mostly just gurgle. And bleed." Black Mage
Flying Pig
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flying Pig »

well i pointed it out because the people i´ve met think that norad can house up to 1000000 people i highly doubt that and on the site i pointed out there they told that is was a very big radarnet
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

I really think there are chances of survival or im just playing too much fallout i dont know.
Cameron Hobson convinced me that it can be possible (considering hes not lying :P )
"When Angels deserve to die." - SoaD (System of a Down)

A Member Of The Knight Organization
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

It's probably best to post your ideas in the new improved (and already larger) topic of this ilk in General Discussion. I'd provide a link, but i'm too damn lazy. :D
Genghis Khan
Regular
Regular

Post by Genghis Khan »

Your chance to visit a real life vault without getting arrested.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A593778
king_ota
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by king_ota »

Hail to the King!
Its good to be the king!
Richy
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

correctly positioned vaults would actually work in theory, unless targeted directly by an IBCM with any kind of nuclear warhead, exept of course, neutron. as many have claimed, it'surviving in the wasteland afterwards that would cause problems. an expended uranium 238 jacket, used most commonly in lithuim and deuteruim based fusion weapons has a radioactive lifetime of about 500,000 years, and the detonation of such a device would send millions and millions of particles (aka fallout) into the air. the triggering of the earth's nuclear payload (35,000+ warheads) would leave those "fortunate" enough to survive with a lot to think about. vaults would 'work', even though i must say this is slightly vague word use here, but any 'vault-dweller' would be waiting for the fallout's halflife to venture to the surface, unless they wish to be exposed to lethal levels of radiation.