do think you think real vaults would work??

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

no
35%
don´t know
65%

Total votes: 17

Flying Pig
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flying Pig »

it would be boring but you would survive
oojie doojie boojie to you to!
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Re: do think you think real vaults would work??

Post by Viktor »

Flying Pig wrote:it would be boring but you would survive
But would you want to survive a nuclear war???
Flying Pig
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flying Pig »

only if doesn´t look like fallout afterwards
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Flying Pig wrote:only if doesn´t look like fallout afterwards
But in real life the fallout of a nuclear attack would cause such utter devatatioin that life on the surface would be impossible for millenia. Radiation in the groundwater, nuclear winter, all plant life and bacteria dead. You would not have enough supplies to last the thousands of years it would take for the radioactive material to pass through enough half-lives to make it safe. Ergot, if there is a nuclear war, crap yourself and prepare for the end... :(
Flying Pig
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flying Pig »

if vaults would be made there is a verry strong possibility of makeing a mini eco system in them
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

Agree on the last one... Look we're talking far away in time here... Fallout vaults had food machines and water purifiers... (Several big cities use water purification systems today, to purify the sewer system in to drinking water... -yuck-)
Also vaults would have to support enough humans to avoid genetic diseases and mutations...
If all demands were met in a proper way, I beleive real world vaults would be a possibility... In a far away future at least... But in that future, I guess it's probable that the human race already would have colonized other planets, that is if they hadn't already made themselves extinkt...

Uh, where is your "yes" option, by the way..? :?
Fallout Forever!
Condie
Gestapo
Gestapo

Post by Condie »

That and the fact that, if you are locking that many people in a confined space for a long period of time, paranoia is bound to set in. It would be just a matter of time before people started killing each other.

Although, please note that I am basing my opinion on my own paranoia, and a Simpsons episode I saw once.
________
How To Roll Joints
Last edited by Condie on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

so true, so uterly, uterly, true!
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

I don't think you could survive in the vaults so long that you could exit the vault without getting killed by radiation...
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

In theory, it would be possible.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

The concept of the nuclear vault isnt just some fictive idea, its quite realistic actually.
''NORAD'' is similar to the vaults found commonly throughout the wastes of the fallout world. It can support life for long periods of time partially thanks to it's water purification system which isnt that much different from those featured by the Fallout vaults.
To counter the above stated problem of boredom that might occur after decades of isolation in a confined area such as a vault they constructed recreation facilities such as tennis courts and basketball fields.
They probably got some drug to keep people from getting depressed due to a chronic lack of exposure to sunlight too. These would be like the pills that drastically lowered the number of suicides in northern regions of Scandinavia which were also related to a lack of sunlight
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Actually "NORAD" would be roughly equivalent to the Enclaveor Military Base. Additionally, I don't believe the average Vault would have some of the war toys NORAD would have as it is basically a military installation. There are some "Vaults" (most not inside mountains)located throughout EurAsia and NorthAmerica that could be better as examples. I couldn't say anything else though, as I'm unaware of their locations.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I believe that NORAD is build inside of Cheyene Mountain and so it is a very good example of a vault. It is just like a military equivalent of a civilian vault. As for the Encalve Base(Navarro I believe is what you're talking about) it is built beneath the ground and so wouldn't be close to NORAD in defense capabilities(convential & nuclear).
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Ganymedes wrote:(Several big cities use water purification systems today, to purify the sewer system in to drinking water... -yuck-)
to quote Kryton

The water has been recycled so many times it's beginning to taste like Welsh Lager
Cameron Hobson
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Cameron Hobson »

Water: NASA has just perfected a recycling system that returns almost all of the water that you... Uh... Ya... You drink the same water over and over, without making it taste like... uh... Ick.

Also, you could bring water in from the water table underground. Though it would not be clean from radiation, it could easly be decontaminated, and purified. The technology exists right now.

Power: In New York, the entire transite system is run on a Hydrogen Cell. You fill the tank up with water, the water is forced through a membrain, the oxygen and hydrogen are seperated, and the hydrogen is used fuel. This could also be used as a power source. Also, the only byproduct is steam, from the oxygen.

Entertainment: As seen with the Final Fantasy film, we can now produce high quality imaging in movies without acctually having actors. Therefor, movie production could continue. Also, a Canadian Company has just completed the first stage of work on a holographic entertainment center. Their largest obstical is making the holograms solid... Once that problem is overcome, the holographic arrays could be placed in vaults for enterainment.

Sunlight: There are several different kinds of lightbulbs that can reproduce sunlight to an extreme degree.

Food: There are three possiblities for this. We currently possess the technology to create replication units. The problem is that we can not power it. If cold fusion generators could be achived, then we would be able to power a replicator, therefor being able to produce unlimited amounts of food, water, supplies, ect.

Option number two: Have an entire floor of the vault dedicated to agrocultre, making the entire floor into a food production area.

Option number three: Have the vault built under a biodome. After the atomic boms are launched, have the farmers return to the biodome, which is directly over the vault. The problem with this option is that the biodome might be a prime nuclear target.

Mental conditions: You would no more be paranoid with several thousand people around you then you are in a city. Many people live in one small area of a city their entire lives, never leaving it, ever. They do not go insane, or paranoid. However, should this occure, there would be sufficent medical ablilites inside the vault to hold anyone who has paranoid delusions to the point of violence.

As you can see, almost all of this technology exists now, and that which doesn't is easly replaced with something that does exist right now.
Stop Fallout Fantasy! Click here!
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

heh, good stuff.

Although it matters where you come from in regards to getting paranoid around people.

I myself am from a small town. I moved to a big city about 5 years ago, and tend to want to kill them.....all of them....

uhem...sorry

I can't stand people. It isn't the paronia, it's the putting up their individual persinalites.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

As I stated earlier: In theory it's possible.

But let's just pray that we will NEVER need these plans.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Slider wrote:I believe that NORAD is build inside of Cheyene Mountain and so it is a very good example of a vault. It is just like a military equivalent of a civilian vault.
I'm aware that NORAD is build inside a mountain(so stands for the russian equivalent that was being built a couple of years ago, so I'm guessing its complete now). The reason it is a military installation, despite being inside a mountain is why I'm excluding it. If people in Norad survived a Nuclear war they would end up being as tech superior to people as the Enclave was. The average Vault was considerably backwards in comparison. In FO there is no such thing as a military equivalent of a civilian Vault. If there was, I would totally agree with you.
Knight
Respected
Respected

Post by Knight »

Water - the Vault latrines are designed to filter your urine into water. Also any moisture from your solid waste. *urinates and then drinks the water poured out into a smudgey glass ontop of the urinal*

Food - besides the enormous stock of can foods and radiated foods [to kill the bacteria and save the food] there are glow cows. These cows were genetically engineered to live in the dark. On its skin grows a edible mushroom that glows blue in the dark. Another thing is that these cows can be cloned. *mooooo* [splat] It is also known that these cows solid waste can be used for facial cream, cow urine for washing. *takes a bath in cow urine and slaps on some moist cow dung before bed*

Meet robo-cow, in this pen you see a robot skeleton of a cow. But in the next pen you see a muscle covered cow. *tears off a piece* Yum, taste like beef.

Banana Slugs, these large organisms are another source of protein in the future and come in these forms. *picks up large banana shapped slug and pulls it apart creating two whole new slugs, takes a piece off and eats it* Fruity...

Agriculture - don't you worry farmers, we haven't forgotten you. After nuclear attack, expendable workers and clones and robots will build a Biodome above your vault. Then farmers and scientists will head inside and rebuild nature through cloning, genetic engineering, and old-fashion agriculture techniques. With the Biodome, we will expand it and more people can live in it and be more free than underground.

Recreation - if boredom attacks in the vault, fight back with fun and games...

Kiddy Section - these games are designed for kids of young ages and teens.

Adult Section - these games are purely and only designed for the sinfull and greedy adult.
:twisted:
"The new world is a dangerous place." - Knight
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Flamescreen wrote:The average Vault was considerably backwards in comparison. In FO there is no such thing as a military equivalent of a civilian Vault.
That is a thing that sort of bothers me is that the military would not make vaults for themselves to put generals and other high ranking officials in. For all we know a third of the vaults might be military type grade vaults and the other are civilian type models.
Our Host!