M1911A1 pistol for Fallout 2.

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

M1911A1 pistol for Fallout 2.

Post by Hammer »

Anybody know of one already made? I'd like to have it as a "novelty" pistol in Fallout 2, since .45 ammo is already in the game I suppose it could use that.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

See the above "AK-47" post.

I'd get my m1911 from FoT, they have a nice pic.

I'd replace the Mauser, since you only get the mauser in new reno, and thats where the .45cal ammo is based at too.

the new m1911 image will need to be named "gizgun1.frm".
I'd strongly suggest editing the .pro file for the mauser, since it really sucks statwise and uses meaningless ammunition.

suggested stats:

m1911
damage: 15-25 (normal)
range: 25, 5AP
ammo: 8 x .45cal
[or .44cal, if you want more ammo available]
sound used: 71 or 69
[71 = rifle, 69 = "loud" handgun sound]

Beware: These stats make it out to be about as useful as the .223 autoloader, just in case you dont want stuff that's too powerful.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Well if you wanna go on realism the M1911A1 would be more effective than the .223 pistol.

Those sounds sound fine to me.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

You would probably want to adjust the stats of the ammo, too. In FO2, .45 is "blank" ammo. Since it is FMJ, the 1/1 damage mod is fine, but the other modifiers should probably be comparable to 10 mm AP. There should probably at least 20 rounds per unit of ammo, too.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I'm a dumb fuck and because of that I would need someone to explain me why .45 is bigger and badder than .44 in theory, but everywhere .44 is advertised as the "most powerful handgun round in the world" ? Yes, I know the punch depends on the gun powder filling, but wouldn't it be even better to load up a 45er? Please, enlighten the fool.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

The .44 in the game is .44 magnum which, despite being having a somewhat smaller diameter bullet, has a lot more powder behind it. Think of the difference between a rifle round and a pistol round and you'll probably understand what I mean.

Anyway, I was under the impression that the Desert Eagle .50 AE was the most powerful handgun in the world now.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I wasn't exactly talking about the in game difference... Like I wrote earlier, I know the effect the amount of gun powder has. I was just wondering, that why .44? Why not .45, it could (could it?) pack even more??

And well, what the experts say the leanest and meanest is .454 Casull in fact, not the infamous "matrix" round.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

You'd have to ask the gun manufacturers that question.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Ok :) And sorry for the off-topicness.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Solution: If you look at .45cal rounds, they're alot shorter than the .44cal rounds. Dispite being larger in radius (which wouldn't have much of an effect in the first place - too small a difference), the .45's aren't as powerful because there's more explosives behind the .44's - which translates into a higher muzzle velocity.

It's sorta like how a .357 magnum is a smaller calibre than 9mm (.38cal) bullets which go into berettas and mp5's and such, but it's powerful enough to take your leg off because the shells have alot of powder behind them.

-----
As for the .223 autoloader issue... I dont think interplay got the stats right on that. I believe that what they really meant was that the .223 FMJ is actually .308mm FMJ. That would account for the higher firepower of weapons using it.

FYI - There IS no difference between .223cal and 5.56mm (which is what the m-16 uses). And again, I dont think there's much of a difference between 5mm assault rifle ammo (which is also in the game) and the .223cal FMJ ammo. What this means is that the assault rifle and minigun should be about as powerful as the Bozar and Autoloader.

-----
On the bullet size issue:

Mass goes up as the cube of radius, assuming that the same shape is still held. Surface area (which helps determine penetration power) goes up as the square of the radius, again assuming that the same shape is held.

For instance: Assuming a 10mm rifle round is the same shape as a 5mm rifle round, only difference aside is the size... the 10mm has 8 times the mass of the 5mm, and only 4 times the surface area.

This would mean that the 10mm not only has alot more slam, it also has twice the penetration capability (8 divided by 4 = 2).
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Anyway, I was under the impression that the Desert Eagle .50 AE was the most powerful handgun in the world now.
Any Casull round is x10 more powerful. And the .45 Long Colt is also more powerful.
I'm a dumb fuck and because of that I would need someone to explain me why .45 is bigger and badder than .44 in theory, but everywhere .44 is advertised as the "most powerful handgun round in the world" ? Yes, I know the punch depends on the gun powder filling, but wouldn't it be even better to load up a 45er? Please, enlighten the fool.
.44 Magnum over penetrates a human target, while it is perfect for killing Elk, Deer, or Caribu, killing a human being with this gun is not what it's best suited for.

Give me a .45 over a .44 any day.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

No need for such explaining, Sirgalahadwizzzard, I know that already :) But I was wondering WHY .44? Why not .45? Why in the seven heavens not? Why did some goofy guys decide that "more powder behind this one, less powder behind this one." Why not the other way around?
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Just to piss you off
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It's a conspiracy.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Kashluk wrote:But I was wondering WHY .44? Why not .45? Why in the seven heavens not? Why did some goofy guys decide that "more powder behind this one, less powder behind this one." Why not the other way around?
A guy by the name of Elmer Keith back in the 1950s was putzing around w/long-range shooting using the .44 Special cartridge. He liked what he could do w/it using custom handloads, but didn't think the cartridge could be pushed far enough, so he sat down and redesigned the .44 Special's case. Essentially he simply lengthened it. That cartridge was adopted in 1955 as the .44 Magnum.

The problem w/the .45 Colt at the time was that there were a lot of older guns around that couldn't take the pressures that Keith was looking for. So the .45 Colt basically didn't see more powerful loadings until the '80s when another batch of people started playing around with it in newer, stronger revolvers. This cartridge became the basis for the vaunted .454 Casull round, which is still the most powerful production handgun that can be had.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Seriously, is anyone going to make this? I want one, too.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

OnTheBounce wrote:Cheers,

OTB
Thank you!
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Anyone have a useable 1911 frm?
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I will - in about 5 minutes. Any1 who wants it though will have to wait until tomorrow though, and will have to give me their email address (so I can send it thru attachment).

All the other editing you're gonna have to do urself (ie, .pro files, etc).
I'll be using the graphics to replace the Mauser pistol (so it'll be available in New Reno - in the back room of eldridge's new reno arms).
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Our Host!