Need some mapping help

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Goris
SDF!
SDF!

Need some mapping help

Post by Goris »

Hello.

I have TeamX's Fallout Mapper 0.97, and am having trouble opening map files with it. Fallout 2 is fully installed, the .dat files have been located by the program, and still I am unable to create or open maps. The ReadMe file included is useless; the writer must have been illiterate, or something. Any help would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know any good Modding tools? I want to create a game using the Fallout engine from scratch. I've got some good ideas, and I don't want them to go to waste.

Any help is appreciated, thanking you in advance,
Goris
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

For the illiteracy part, well, they are a bit short on writing good English part, being nativly Russian... I'd like to see you write some Russian...

We'll need some kind of error message from the mapper to help out more and wether you've properly extract the map files.

Creating from scratch is for now impossible since the only tool for the maps is the mapper even though BIS is looking into distributing them eventually... And said mapper can't "Create" a new map... At best take a nearly empty one (say rnd desert encounter) and work from there.

There are plenty of modding tools for other stuff though, and recently added is lipedit (or something like that) to managed the lipsynch on the heads... Otherwise you'll defenetivly need the script compiler and you'll probably want FUCK and FIME or FIC. The rest is pretty much all in text apart of course for the graphics and there are BMP->FRM converters to do that, smae applies for the sounds and movies.

All this stuff excpt the lip synching is available on this site's Fallout modding section.
Goris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goris »

Heh heh, the only Russian I could write would be the kind of stuff out of Command & Conquer, you know, when the Russians speak English with a poor Ruskie accent? Anyway, thanks for the advice; I hadn't extracted any maps. I'll give that a try.
Goris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goris »

Raaargh! I've extracted some .map files using DATExplorer (from this site), but when try to open them in Mapper2 I am told that there is an error and to check the .log file. I do. All it says is:

Failed to init palette.

Any suggestions?
Oooops! Hope you didn't need that!
Goris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goris »

And that is meant to say "DAT Explorer", and is not the name of some anal fetish program. Heh heh. Date Xplorer. Heh heh. Errr...
Goris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goris »

And another question. Using FUCK!, is there any way to select the sprite for the critter you are editing?
Goris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goris »

And to edit the description when you click on them with the "examine" tool? (binoculars)

Eg: You see a burly mutant.
Grey
Regular
Regular

Post by Grey »

well I'm not really into mapping, but i just gotta know what "FUCK!" stands for...
Your friendly neighborhood alien scum
Goris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goris »

It stands for:
Fallout Utility for Critter tinKering!
Red

Post by Red »

This reminds me that this thread belongs in the fallout modding forum, not here...

But I ain't a moderator here, so much for that...

As for that are you sure you setup the options for the mapper to find the DAT files? You gotta do that first or it won't find the palette (and a whole bunch of other stuff...)
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Red wrote:This reminds me that this thread belongs in the fallout modding forum, not here...

But I ain't a moderator here, so much for that...
Thanks, I'll move it.
Goris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goris »

Done. Mapper works fine now, thanks.
Our Host!