Dimensions..?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

Simply put; 2D or 3D?

3D, coz' 2D is old and noone(except us fans) is gonna' buy it...
No votes
2D, coz' there's no 3D engine existing that is good enough and a new 3D engine would take waaay to long do develop...
15%
3D, imagine the possibilities...
38%
2D, I want an RPG, NOT an FPS!!!
38%
3D, I want freakin kewl miniguns!!!
No votes
WHAT?!? Another stupid ass poll?!?!?!? Die n00b, DIE!!!!!!!!!
8%
OMFG!!1 F4110u7 F4ntzy!!11! Y6ah,,,1
No votes

Total votes: 26

Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Dimensions..?

Post by Ganymedes »

Now, I know many die-hard fans demands 2D, and gaming companies want 3D, but what I wanna know is what does the fan-base here at DAC really want??
Personally, I'm kind of ambivalent... But I beleive 3D has enormous possibilities, despite the -many- obvious problems of getting together a good rpg in it...
Fallout Forever!
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

explain to me how 3D and miniguns are related.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Lynxer: It's something Feargus once said.

I'm not afraid of 3D. I think, done in the proper way, a 3 dimensional Fallout world could be amazing, with a lot more atmosphere and depth than our beloved 2 dimensional wastelad.

I look at things like Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic and think, 'Wow... imagine what RPG's will look like in two years time... imagine what Fallout 3 could look like!'

Contrary to popular belief, attractive graphics don't need to be just window-dressing. If the BIS guys do it properly, they could use the 3rd dimension and the level of extra detail that comes with it to benefit the way Fallout is played.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Blame it to my conservativity. I just love 2D and despise every aspect of the principle of 3D combined with RPG.
Dont point that thing at me, i was just expressing my feelings.
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

I voted for 3D, simply because I think Fallout 3 would be awesome with a souped-up version of the Dungeon Siege engine.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

NO DUNGEON SIEGE RELATED FEATURES, I BEG YOU!!
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

Then what about the Soldier Of Fortune 2 engine? :twisted:

Using that and Raven's 'GHOUL' animation system would ensure that Fallout 3 has the right amount of bloody deaths...
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

SoF's engine is quite good. Not suitable for RPG though, logically.
You ever seen somebody get struck by a 40mm granade in SoF?, whut a mess. :twisted: 8O
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

2D cause I still believe in it's potential. In ten years maybe I'll accept 3D can be better. It's like hand drawn graphics, versus video. I will probably never accept video has more to offer to games. That's because I see games as fictional and the entire "Acting" and "Full motion video" stuff ruins that illusion.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

2D, until player models can match the 120,000 polygons that a sprite makes up.
------------------
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

2D, I want an RPG, NOT an FPS!!!

That's what i voted, simply because i would hate to have another Fallout game where not only the game but the graphics as well has been screwed up.

But i guess if the game wants to please the masses and the critics, it'll have to be 3D. *sigh*
Deathy
Regular
Regular

Post by Deathy »

As a bunch of idiot kids said to me a few weeks back:

"What are you playing?" they say, not quite in unison
"Fallout"
"Look at the graphics? How can you play that?" asks one of them.
"It's an interesti..." I begin to reply.
"It's 2D, isn't it?"
"Well, yes."
"What a crappy game, you are a geek"

These people seem to me the audience that 3D is supposed to appeal to. They also seem unwilling to grasp depth of a game, unable to see past all the pretty lights.
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

Be proud, for you are a geek!

Stand tall my geekish friends, for we have been blessed with wisdom, knowledge and overall brainyness!

Let the fools wallow (is that even a word?) in their self-inflicted, Serious Sam-enforcing 3D-loving swamp of ignorance!

(Although Fallout 3 could still be a great game in 3D, if it was done properly...)
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Kreegle wrote:Lynxer: It's something Feargus once said.

I'm not afraid of 3D. I think, done in the proper way, a 3 dimensional Fallout world could be amazing, with a lot more atmosphere and depth than our beloved 2 dimensional wastelad.
I'm with the Boss on this one! Done well, 3D could give jaw dropping visuals to go with immersive gameplay and storyline of the Fallout series.

However, given a choice between great visuals/poor gameplay and the familiar Fallout visuals/great gameplay, I'll take gameplay every time!
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

2D. Then perhaps they could have really detailed surroundings not yet possible in (spit) 3D games. Also then they may concentrate on actually FINISHING all of the quests. No more broken quests... That'll be the day...
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I liked the graphics of the first two games and could care less if FO3 looks very similar. Just as long as everybody doesn't look the same it'll be fine by me(graphics wise that is).
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Yes, screw visual improvement. Graphics are fine the way they are nowadays, they need little improvement in my opinion. Its innovations in ways of storylines and quests WE demand.
A resonable amount of brand new quests and loads of new NPC's that are involved in these very quests is what i would like to see in the next of the fallout series.
They should concentrate on the development of an even better gameplay in stead of focussing on redundant visual spectacle.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

The simple reference to the fact that it won't work is to look at the Ultima series. Up until number 9 it was a successful RPG. Enter 9 with it's '3D glory' and it f**ks up big time, it becomes so bug ridden and unplayable that many fans lose faith.
Genghis Khan
Regular
Regular

Post by Genghis Khan »

I would be happy to have it in 3D if everything else was kept the same but then what would be the point in having it in 3D.
The only reason to make in 3D is if you wanted to get rid of the turn based combat system and then it would turn into basically, a shoot em' up and screw up allot of other things as well.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

So right... And look at FO1 and FO2, what's wrong with them? The depth of the dtails in those two games is much, much better thwn what you'll find in 99% of all modern 3D-games...
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Our Host!