New Sprites

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

New Sprites

Post by Flamescreen »

O.k. i've send 2 new sprites I've made to Kreegle and got his promise to make them uploadable somewhere. Flamerush and Flameranger their names.There are multiple versions of them.The current final ones are Flamerush3(I think)for the medicine and Flameranger2 for the gun.
I like mostly the medicine(which is 100% made by me), but I didn't got it right and had to Flatten it to display letters better(also I couldn't find the candybar sprite to import into, the mentats is not the best for such a format).I'll probably revise it soon, but untill then, you can have these 2 to include in your maps.
Btw, the flameranger is a modification of a weapon I had in my previous campaign. JJ86 will probably recognize(but don't tell if you do).
The gun's purpose is to be used as a new energy rifle/pistol or handcannon of sorts.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: New Sprites

Post by OnTheBounce »

Good show, Flamescreen!
Flamescreen wrote:...also I couldn't find the candybar sprite to import into...
The candy bar (Chocolate Bar.spr) is found at:

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\sprites\items\mission specific\Mission15

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Says Flamescreen in his e-mail:
Hi,
these are the sprites I talked about. I include some of the photos I used to make the first sprite(which is not as succesfull as I wanted it. I had to flatten it to display the letters better.)
FlameRanger.spr

FlameRanger2.spr

Thanks Flamescreen!
Last edited by Kreegle on Wed May 08, 2002 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Thanks, OTB.That will save me time.Hopefully I'll have it working by the end of week.[Edit ]thanks Kreegle. That was very helpfull.Btw, I don't see the Flamerush sprites ther. Have I neglected to send, or being as ugly as they are(for the moment) you thought that you'd better not throw this monstrosity to Foters? :) [Edit]

-FS
Last edited by Flamescreen on Wed May 08, 2002 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

I posted everything you sent me in the e-mail :)
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I'll resend then!
Or to be accurate, I'll plainly send :) (since i didn't last time).
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

FlameRush2.spr

FlameRush3.spr

Thanks again, Flamescreen!
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I revised the Flamerush sprites. Hope you like it better now. In case Kreegle doesn't have space and removes the early versions, tell me and I can send them through mail.

-FS
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I also made a desk lamp sprite(which i suppose could be used in the tile editor if that is ever released) but I see Kreegle haven't posted the updates of Flamerush either. As he's probably busy, would there be anyone volunteering to get them in a mail and uploading them for me? :)
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:I also made a desk lamp sprite(which i suppose could be used in the tile editor if that is ever released)...
You do realize that there are desk lamp tiles already in the game, right? They are located at:

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\tiles\Ruined City\Ruined city objects\Misc

They are very small, though. It took me some time to figure out just what they were. (Damn this 15"/13.8" viewable monitor... :lol: )

Cheers,

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Yes but mine is slightly different. I thought I'd add it for variety. Like having new chairs or something. Plus it has a flower on it(But you can't see it clearly). Its for beautyfication purposes.
Speaking of sprites in game, can I find anywhere the sprite for paintings? I've made one but can't test it properly without one of those. I think it's only there as a tile, but I could be mistaken.
I think I will make 1-2 more sprites these days. What do you think it should be? Inventory or Scenery items?
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Speaking of sprites in game, can I find anywhere the sprite for paintings? I've made one but can't test it properly without one of those.
I don't think there are any painting sprites in the game. Why do you need one? If you need help with how to set up the bounding box, let me know.

My opinion is that there are not enough scenery sprites in the game so you might want to make some of those. I want to create some wall sprites by extracting the gif from some wall tiles and making a sprite out of it. They would be useful in situations where you want to trigger a disappearing wall or a wall blown open by an explosion.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Jimmyjay86 wrote: My opinion is that there are not enough scenery sprites in the game so you might want to make some of those. I want to create some wall sprites by extracting the gif from some wall tiles and making a sprite out of it. They would be useful in situations where you want to trigger a disappearing wall or a wall blown open by an explosion.
If you do. I would apreciate a tutorial of sorts. I'm interested in making wall or ground sprites myself.
About the paintings: I tried to import the raw file to the same sprite I imported the lamp sprite, but it didn't came out the way I wanted it. It could have to do with the bounding box. It looked like you could use it on top of a table or a mouse mat(hm, idea for a sprite) but not as a wall decoration?(it was flat, without height, and it was parallel to the ground). I wanted a possible painting sprite to see how they've done it(the designers). Do you think I could use the Jukebox for that?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Why not use one of the sign sprites and import the RAW data into that? There are several examples in Ruined City and Post War Town.

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I considered that, but thought they were too large(actually I even considered making it a sign itself) and was afraid the resulting sprite would come out too small. It seems to me(perhaps its just me though) that when you import the picture of an object tothe sprite it has to be at least of the same size to the existing sprite. Check the flameranger sprite sizes. I actually had to make it bigger(and reduce the empty spaces around it) to make it work properly.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I'll write a photoshop tutorial on how to make a painting and the correct way to set up the bounding box in Spray. It is tricky to get the correct perspective to align with the walls but I have figured out how to do that. Look for the tutorial by tomorrow.

Oh and it really doesn't matter if the size of the sprite that you are making matches the size of the one that you are modifying. You just have to understand what to enter in the correct fields within Spray.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

OnTheBounce wrote: (Damn this 15"/13.8" viewable monitor... :lol: )
Don't know if you're aware of this, but you can enlarge the size of viewable tiles. Somewhere above them there is a number, I think 1(maybe 1,5) is the value. If you raise that, you'll see them bigger(It takes more time to load them though).
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:Don't know if you're aware of this, but you can enlarge the size of viewable tiles.
Thanks, but yes, I'm aware of that. If I wasn't I'd have given up long ago w/mapping since the default tile size is "0.5" at which size its actually a bit difficult to tell some walls apart. I usually map w/the tiles set to "1".

OTB
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:I'll write a photoshop tutorial on how to make a painting and the correct way to set up the bounding box in Spray.
That would be great. Then I'll just need to find an excuse to fit Jackson Pollack's Cosmic Fury in somewhere... :mrgreen:

I've been playing around w/Spray the past couple of days. My main goal has been to get the Lightbulb sprites working as State Scenery sprites. No luck so far, though. I think I need to back off, make some basic sprites to get a handle on Spray, then go and dork around w/more complicated issues.

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I'd like to have a lightswitch, m'self. Just a simple 2-frame sprite, one where the switch is up (on), and the other with it down (off). Of course, there would have to be 4 total sprites (on facing south, on facing west, off facing south, off facing west).

FS: Go to Tiles -> Mission Specific -> General and you'll see some folders with posters and graffiti tiles in 'em. These are sorta painting-ish.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Our Host!