Fallout 2 gets a shitty review

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Fallout 2 gets a shitty review

Post by Mad Max RW »

Take a look at this garbage. The review is covering the recently release Mac port of Fallout 2. The guy goes on and on about how crappy the graphics are. I believe "dated" and "clunky" were his exact words. Overall it gets a 6.8.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Urgh. "Waaaah! I can't scroll very far without moving my character, so you have to explore, that makes the game shit. Waaaah! Warcraft could do it. Waaaah! It's so ugly you can't make anything out."

He seems to be one of these new breed of gamers where, as long as the game looks pretty they're satisfied, one of those people who can't recognise a good interface when it smacks them between the eyes. The comments seem to be by and large unjustified and I get the feeling the reviewer doesn't like RPGs much. :x
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

He's just another example of how low websites' standards are in hiring writers.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

he was comparing the world map to warcraft. and then he was compairing the normal view to diablo's. diablo's view sucks ass! your always in the middle, and cant move the screen at all. pretty anoying.

and anyway, if you TALK to people in the game, you can learn of any location on the world map so you dont have to "Explore" for 30 hours. jeez.

i also like fallout because you dont really have to "level up"
because thats a total pain in the ass waste of time... to me.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

What exactly do you mean, Strapon? Fallout has levels. Do you mean that you don't need to go around killing things for the specific purpose of gaining levels in order to be tough enough to face the endboss?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

The endboss wasn't that tough. :roll:
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

spazmo:

i mean, like in daiblo2, endless Cow/chaos sanctuary runs
just to ger your char better. in fallout, you gained levels at a very good pace, and didnt really have to "Go out and level up" if you didnt want to.
you might have to kill things for weapons, but not as often for levels on your char.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

I quite agree. The two things that made me hate Diablo were all the XP-hunting, the hack'n slash and the storyline, or rather, the lack thereof. That was three. Nevermind.
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well the guy reviewed it as it was released today and compared it to todays standards. He thinks the game is pretty decent if not counting the graphics, which drop the score quite a bit. I tend to agree on most of the points he brings up, but I think he should have emphasized his review more on the non-linearity, the deep story and the role-playing elements instead of comparing it to Diablo or some other bulk 'RPG', because in those areas Fallout 2 did a lot better than in most modern RPGs.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Yes, Strapon, that's entirely true. Levels in Fallout come naturally and you're usually about as tough as you need to be.

RPG Codex
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Well, the whole game is actually finishable without gaining a level. Sure it`s a lot harder but it`s possible. So you never HAVE to run in the wild for random encounters to level up, instead it`s just cool doing it :)

Now as a note, he compared it to Diablo and Warcraft (I'm expecting he meant warcraft 2 here as the first installement would probably be too pixelated for him to bother with) Diablow came in 1997 and WC2 in 1996, so his comparisons aren't so out of line. However he still compared the graphics to something in today's standard, which is a bit weird.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Red wrote:Well, the whole game is actually finishable without gaining a level.
Nevermind that some of the required quests would level you automatically, I'm not really sure there's any way a level 1 character would have the skills necessary to complete everything that has to be done.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Getting the water chip alone would put you at level three or four, easy.

RPG Codex
Red

Post by Red »

First, we're talking about Fallout2, not 1. There is no water chip. Second, you don't need to return the water chip as far as I recall.

I have to admit that it's not true in FO2. You need at least ~5000xp for fixing up the tanker. Oh crap.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Bah, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, it's still true.

RPG Codex
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Yeah, even in Fallout 1 you get like 10k each for destroying the Master and the Vats.
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

I think a Swedish Games Mag tested Fallout 2 again after so long time... it got a 7 in grade, which is good for being so old and based on the avarage scores of games in that magazine...
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Red wrote:I have to admit that it's not true in FO2. You need at least ~5000xp for fixing up the tanker. Oh crap.
As a stupid character you don't need to fix it, but you still get a lvl up from getting the vertibird blueprints.
Red

Post by Red »

Well, YOU don't fix it no, but it does get fixed...

And you don't need to retreive the blueprints if I recall correctly, which I might not :P
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Fallout 1 and 2 have both always collected over 90/100 points from every finnish gaming magazine I've read. But Fo:T instead got something like 70/100 from every mag :P
Our Host!