Tech

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Tech

Post by Doc Hill »

I love it, can't get enough of it. From the tesla gun, to the lowley fine revolver. I just wish that all games let you build your own steam powered armor. At least I think it was steam powered.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

I agree, I really like the idea. If only it had been implemented a little better.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Yes...there were a few flaws. I think similar system wouldhave worked beutifully in Fallout(including all of them)
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Too bad magick was a LOT better than tech.

I spent a small fortune on bullets when playing with a techie, while my mage bought herself the Bates mansion. :roll:
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

If bullets were just a whole lot cheaper, I think that alone would have helped balance tech a lot.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Doyle wrote:If bullets were just a whole lot cheaper, I think that alone would have helped balance tech a lot.
Just make em yourself. Get the Bullet Schematic (Very easy to come by if youre a techie) Buy saltpeter (About 40 gold for base cost I think) Look through some trash cans for charcoal and you got yourself 20 Bullets for the cost of only the saltpeter ie. 40Gp. If we say a bullet would cost 5Gp you will have saved 60Gp. Id say thats not to costy.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

That's still 2 gold for a single bullet, and until then you're screwed. Plus, you either need to spend a point in explosives or chemistry or buy a book. They should just be cheaper from the start.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

That's still 2 gold for a single bullet, and until then you're screwed. Plus, you either need to spend a point in explosives or chemistry or buy a book. They should just be cheaper from the start. Hell, the fact that you can even save so much on such a small number of bullets is a testament to just how expensive they really are.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Doyle wrote:That's still 2 gold for a single bullet, and until then you're screwed. Plus, you either need to spend a point in explosives or chemistry or buy a book. They should just be cheaper from the start. Hell, the fact that you can even save so much on such a small number of bullets is a testament to just how expensive they really are.
Hmm... well, I dont think the solution to a balance problem would have been making tech cheaper/easier to use. Magic is just too powerful.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

It's not just that magic is more powerful, it's that guns seem especially weak. Dropping the price of bullets a whole lot would go a long way towards fixing that.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Doyle wrote:It's not just that magic is more powerful, it's that guns seem especially weak. Dropping the price of bullets a whole lot would go a long way towards fixing that.
Guns are weak for a number of reasons. The main one is simply that there's no advantage to ranged at all in the game since it only takes a single turn to close the distance from the enemy to the player in Arcanum. Unfortunately, guns in Arcanum didn't account for the "quick closing distance" thing when they were designed, so they still followed the "Balance damage with range" montra.

Honestly, if you wanted ranged tech, go with Throwing. Grenades and the Decapitator work much better.
------------------
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Guns are weak for a number of reasons. The main one is simply that there's no advantage to ranged at all in the game since it only takes a single turn to close the distance from the enemy to the player in Arcanum. Unfortunately, guns in Arcanum didn't account for the "quick closing distance" thing when they were designed, so they still followed the "Balance damage with range" montra.

Honestly, if you wanted ranged tech, go with Throwing. Grenades and the Decapitator work much better.
Guns are weak...? The Droths Warbringer does 20-40 Dam +10 Electrical. And thats with a 13 speed and one bullet per shot. Maybe range isnt a real factor, but you gota remember that guns like the sniper pistol shoots very fast and has a high hit factor. Combined with a haste potion that can take anything out in the early stages of the game. And like the Droths Warbringer you can get it pretty early in the game. Just use your first fate point on pickpocketing the gunsmith in Tarant, and you can clean out most of the big Tarant sewer with a lone gunman.

I think tech works perfectly. Magic is just way to powerfull and easily accesible. A warrior/mage is completly over powered. Just start out with 1 magic spell and theres a good cahnce you get a charmed platemail from the Kite Shaman magic chest, just 3 screens from the crash. With that, harm and a little dodge/melee skills you can finish the whole first part of the game without getting hurt.

Arh damn, anyways. I gota sleep now... ive been playing Arcanum for 5 hours now and ive got school in 3. Hm.

I HAVE NO LIFE!! SAVE ME!! SAVE ME!!... Erh, sorry.. that wont happen again.

*runs screaming into the night*
Kain
SDF!
SDF!
Location: Where am I ? Who are you ? Why is there sand everywhere ?

Post by Kain »

I actually tried to make a Techno-Mage...it sucked!
Life's a BITCH but I'm worse!!!
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Kain wrote:I actually tried to make a Techno-Mage...it sucked!
LoL. That kinda defies the philosophy of the game :D

But first time I played I mixed everything as well... Until I noticed the Tech/Magic meter. Hehe.
Kain
SDF!
SDF!
Location: Where am I ? Who are you ? Why is there sand everywhere ?

Post by Kain »

I know it defies the philosophy of the game but hey...leave it to me to try the impossible!!!
Life's a BITCH but I'm worse!!!
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

I found it rather troublesome in the beginning of the game if you were a mage adn your casting of spells would make you pass out. Kinda turned me off from magic most of the time.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

paynetothemax wrote:I found it rather troublesome in the beginning of the game if you were a mage adn your casting of spells would make you pass out. Kinda turned me off from magic most of the time.
Well I think youre supposed to ahm, not exhaust yourself so much that you pass out? :D
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

OH REALLY YA FINK!?!?!? Um yeah I figured that ... and then my character tended to die. On account of the whole sucking at combat business... On a side note tring to kick a dog 15 times and missing sure is FUN!
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

paynetothemax wrote:OH REALLY YA FINK!?!?!? Um yeah I figured that ... and then my character tended to die. On account of the whole sucking at combat business... On a side note tring to kick a dog 15 times and missing sure is FUN!
Well im pretty sure you didnt have any melee skill then. Just one rank is pretty much enough to kill most lesser monsters without that much trouble.
Ezechial_Rage
Regular
Regular

Post by Ezechial_Rage »

That depends on if you're in the dark or not. I remember being really irritated right away not being able to hit rats in the dark with 1 slot of melee.
Our Host!