Ground vehicles in FO3??

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

Should there be ground vehicles in Fallot 3???

Poll ended at Sun May 12, 2002 1:12 am

Yes - simple transport like FO2's Highwayman
54%
Yes - you can fight from 'em like in FO:T
15%
Hell yes!! Give us petrol heads new wheels!
31%

Total votes: 13

Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Ground vehicles in FO3??

Post by Viktor »

I seem to rember a discussion on the old boards regarding vehicles in FO3...but I can't remember what the general opinion was....

My 10 Euros worth:-

If FO3 has ground vehicles, the should be like those in FO:T, i.e. you can fight from them - very handy against superior enemies!

If so there should vehicle mounted weapons to be found/purchased/stolen/looted from other vehicles....

If you have high repair/science skills AND a vehicle, you can fit some major firepower to your favourite ride!

Think of how much fun special encounters with critters/mutants/raiders/slavers/enclave troops would be if you packing one of these:-

- A heavy flamer - instant crispy critters!

- Heavy plasma gun - for those melty mutant moments!

- Twin miniguns - a simple but effective hail of hot lead...

- Chainsaw front & rear fenders - deathclaw fillet anyone??

What do YOU think????
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I really don't want to see my car shot into tiny pieces. :puppydogeyes:
So I'll stick to simple transport.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

I picked the second option. I liked the concept of the car because it made me able to cross great distances in a fairly short amount of time. An absence of motorize vechicles just isnt acceptable.
I personally dont need cars or tanks to shelter in whilst unloading my mags, i dont think i even liked that option cause the car combined with combat would always give me trouble. They either couldn’t get out or some other weird thing would happen.
The tank for instance imo was useless since it was abnormally slow and needed shells at the price of a shipload of gauss ammo.

How would you operate a chainsaw mounted on the front of a car? I think minigun/plasmacanon mounted trucks would make FO3 look like the next episode of starshitroopers or something. FO3 should just be like FO2, including just things that fallout2 already had. A vast variety of guns, maybe some more foes and of course lots of news missions.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Knight
Respected
Respected

Post by Knight »

*Hops into a very dusty sooped up hum-vee and starts to make engine noises*
8)
Think Mad Max...
It would be quite handy in traveling through the desert, killing any vermin you encounter, and carrying your 'stuff'. I wonder if this was said but maybe the player can mount specific items or weapons that fit the vehicle she or he has. Also you could salvage thses specific weapons from other broken or abandoned vehicles.
In Fallout 3, at least people will start to figure out how to get that fire truck in fallout 1 going no matter how bad it looked.
"The new world is a dangerous place." - Knight
Munky
Regular
Regular

Post by Munky »

I think cars are a definite.

I would LOVE to see motor bikes aswel as transport kinda things. I dunno about tanks though, but things like humvees would be kewl.

Shooting from the vehicles is good aswel, but i think there should be certain shooting roles, unlike in fot. For instance you could have one person driving, and another in a hatch for firing some of the bigger weapons.

For things like the humvee everyone else could fire small guns, because its fuckin impossible to fire a 3 foot long minigun from inside a damn car.

Then for things like the motorbike, it would only be one person, and they could fire a small gun, but this would have an adverse reaction on the piloting skill, or something.

In other words, cars are an awesome element to add to it, and i think they should play a big role.
I wont go down in history...but i will go down on your sister.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Yes! to munky. Firing miniguns from the inside of a truck is nonsens. It shouldnt be possible.
Maybe they should include an option that allows you to mount specific machineguns of larger caliber on top of a vechicle. Not just any weapon, certainly no chainsaws.

The m2 browning for instance. It should require a strenght of 12 to be wielded so no human would be able use it without mounting it on a vechicle.

Other than this mounted gun no other big guns should be allowed to be fire from inside the car. In other words, there should be limits to the usage of firearms whilst at the inside of a verchicle.
Munky
Regular
Regular

Post by Munky »

I also had this idea of a kind of car character.

Like a car that was controlled by an intelligent computer, with a kind of personality. Hey its the future :)

So aswel as just driving around in it, this car could have a turret or something and help out in the fight, just like any other character, taking turns to move and fire and such.

with some kind of oldskool brittish accent, or something stupidly butterlry

I dunno, might seem a bit stupid. just an idea
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

There won't be many cars nor much fuel left in post-nuclear world, so my 2 cents are on "Simple Transport".
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

You'r right when saying the abundancy of operative cars has slightly decreased thanks to the war, But some must have survived.
Dont forget there was no war up untill 2077. The amount of motorized vechicles must have been enormous by that time.
This increased the potential of cars surviving the war unscathed.
Lets say 98% of all pre-war vechilces broke down because of the EMP shockwaves the nukes had triggered. This leaves us a mere 2% you'd say, but those 2% equal a vast amount of moving iron.
Second of all it might have been post-war man itself that created the cars.
If you had somehow learned about mechanics all it would take you to build a small car or motorcycle is finding the right parts.
Regarding the lack of gas to fuel vechicled i'd say its untrue. pre-war cities must have contained tons of fuel witch they had stored underground. At least some of it should still be there.
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

a humvee would be nice. or an armoured people carrier complete with mounted gun.

you could stick a minigun on the back of a humvee and have a gunner use it, needing minigun ammo.
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

About the fuel thing, think about it...

Couldn't people just make fuel by deriving some sort of alcohol (ethanol or whatever it's called) from various plants?

And I am pretty sure you could make a steam powered car that uses cow dung to heat some water, thereby creating steam. The toughest thing to get could be water, but if you wanted to, you could just use piss...

As long as people are creative and lazy, they will invent things to make everyday life just a little bit easier.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

i think cars were the only good feature of FoT.

personally, i think the games should be exactly like Fo 1 and 2, except the option of playing realy time. like a button on the bar thing or something, but when they got in the car, it'd switch to real time.

like this:
Car(non-combat)=just like walking around in the original Fallouts
Car(combat)=FoT style
Car(leaving area)=goes to next area
Car(leaving town or city)=just liek Fallout 2
Walking=normal
walkin(combat)=turn-based
Munky
Regular
Regular

Post by Munky »

The cars ran on fusion cells anyway, and there are an abundance of those.

As for the emp thing, im SURE that some company would have designed and emp shielded car and marketed it as the car to survive the apocalypse. I can see the advertising campaign now...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, I don't mean like there shouldn't be ANY other cars than yours in the world... But what I'm saying is, that FOT was more like FO:Rally, you know ;) I don't want to see highways FULL OF MOVING VEHICLES in FO-universe!
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

There probably isnt even a sufficiant number of people to litter an entire highway with in post-war Terra.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

You go and tell that to the FOT developers :?
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Ok, i'll let my tommygun do the talking.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The best idea I've ever heard in the FO3 forums ;)
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Munky wrote:As for the emp thing, im SURE that some company would have designed and emp shielded car and marketed it as the car to survive the apocalypse. I can see the advertising campaign now...
They wouldn't have to take precautions against EMP because FO is an alternate timeline, one in which modern electronics were never invented. Computers rely on vacuum tubes, etc., and hence would not be vulnerable to the EMP of a nuclear explosion like modern, microchip-based electronics.

As for transport, why not get downright postapocalyptic? Yes, I'm talking Brahmin Carts made from the tail-end of a car here, just like you see in all of those caravans throughout the Wastes. That could be the low-end.

One things that I'd like to see is vehicles having terrain limitations. For instance, would the Highwayman - which looks suspiciously like a '59 Cadillac - be able to traverse rough, mountainous terrain? Probably not. Or it would at least be slowed to a crawl. A tracked vehicle could, on the other hand, be slower in normal terrain, but allow the PC to drive it in all but the roughest terrain.

As for using vehicles FoT-style, I'm not sure that that this is appropriate for a FO RPG. The heart of these games is human (and mutant) interactions, not driving through town, running over children and backing up over old women. If vehicles can be used this way, the designers should take care to place obstacles in the maps that would require the player to dismount to get to most places in a town. If vehicles are rare, towns probably wouldn't account for them when they were throwing up a new section of cobbled-together hovels.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

OnTheBounce wrote:As for transport, why not get downright postapocalyptic? Yes, I'm talking Brahmin Carts made from the tail-end of a car here, just like you see in all of those caravans throughout the Wastes. That could be the low-end.
Like this?

http://www.krank.dk/newstuff/pics/trans ... mobile.jpg

IMO all it needs is a machinegun on the roof...
Our Host!