Death animation

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
prodigalsunz
SDF!
SDF!

Death animation

Post by prodigalsunz »

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple
of days, but can't find the answer.

Since the original Fallout I've been playing the games
with a character that has the Bloody mess trait (I know, its useless, but it rocks).
In FoT I've noticed a change in de way characters die with
some weapons.
For example the laser rifle, in FO & FO2 this weapon
caused the victim to be cut in halve , in FoT the victim
melts(like the effect of a plasma riffle shot).
The "cut in halve" animation seems to be used now only
with the super soaker.(this makes me believe that the
death animation has been flipped somehow, because its much
more logical to melt after being soaked in acid then cut in
to two pieces.
The same goes for the EMP riffle, in FO2 you would be
turned into a pile of black ashes(seen in FoT with the EMP
grenade and EMP 12 gauge), but now you meltdown.

I,ve been trying to look in the entity editor for the value's that affect the death animation but nothing seems
to work.
So now for my question:
How do i change the "death animation" of the laser riffle
back to the original(cut in halve), bare in mind that I
always have "Bloody mess" on.

Thanx in advance.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

You can't simply change the death animations that a weapon uses by filling in some field with the editor. This is determined by the type of damage that a target is hit with. The reason that the Laser, Plasma and Pulse Rifles all melt the target is that they both do energy damage. Unfortunately, the type of damage that a weapon does is overridden by the ammunition that it uses, so you can't simply change the damage type in the weapon entity and solve the problem. This, incidentally, is why the Pulse weapons (to include the EMP Prototype) actually do Energy damage rather than the Electrical damage that they should do.

Note that there are different animations for different styles of damage types, too. For instance, the Ripper uses SEC as "ammo" and therefore actually does Energy damage. This is why the Ripper cuts people in half rather than melting them. (For some strange reason mines seem to be considered a form of melee attack as they also cut people in half if you set the damage type to "Energy". :lol: Yes, I wanted a Plasma mine...)

The only possible solution that I can think of - and I doubt this will work - is to set the Laser Rifle to Melee or Hand-to-Hand under "Range Class", but still keep the Max Range at 45. Like I said, I doubt this will work, but if you're desperate, give it a try. Please report your findings back here. :)

The only other solution is to hack the hard-coded elements of the game and set things up differently than they are. This type of modding is beyond me, though, so I can't help you there.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Hm, couldn't a change of weapon ammo have the desired effect?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Yes, you could do that. You could use custom ammo types set up using the Entity Editor and a little help from BoSEE, but you would end up w/types of ammo that weren't interchangeable. For instance, the Plasma Pistol wouldn't be able to use the same type of ammo as the Pulse Pistol.

The other solution would be to introduce subtypes of extant ammo w/the damage type set the way you want it in order to get the Death Animation that you want. However, all weapons set to that particular type of ammunition could use each subtype, so it wouldn't be much of a solution.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
gluckist
SDF!
SDF!

Post by gluckist »

:twisted:

BTW: FoT was written in C++ if you try and turn some of the files into zips you could come across the cpp file and with a compiler and a sertain setup you could change the code. But you would have to search for those functions that deal with those problems.

-Glucksit 0X
-Gluckist

"Those that seek the future should look in the past first..."
Our Host!