Lionheart chat log

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Lionheart chat log

Post by Kreegle »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

Controversy! Laughter! Heart-break! Disgust! Romance! Yes folks, today's Lionheart chat had it all! (well, close enough...)

If you missed out, wipe away those tears of self-loathing... you can read the whole thing, edited and prettied-up <a href="http://www.duckandcover.net/lionheart/i ... tml">right here</a>.

Big, big, big thanks to the guys from Black Isle Studios and Reflexive! You guys were great.

We love you, Lars!

<b><u>EDIT by StP</u>:</b> <i>Look kids, free advertising from <b>The AMAZING Chris Parker</b>!</i>

<blockquote><i><b>BIS-Parker -</b> If we want a bunch of rank sarcasm, we can just hang out on <u>DAC</u> or the BIS boards. We really don't need to spend our time in a chat for that. Thanks guys.</i></blockquote>

You can't ask for a better endorsement!
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

Hhmm.
Nice guys.
Also, gets me a little excited about it, to be Frank.
Mayhaps I have been playing to much Medival, but where do the Byzantines fit in?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Well, that's why these dev chats exist: so you can ask all the questions you have about the game. If you want to know, ask at the next one.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

EErrr, how on earth does IRC work/what is it/how do you get it?
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

www.mirc.com

Not terribly hard. Install and run. Close the first window. Choose your pseudonym in the second one and fill in all the required fields. Lionheart dev chats are usually on irc.gamesnet.net in #lionheart, so you choose Gamesnet in the server chooer pulldown menu. Choose the one best suited to your location (east, west, whatever). Once you're connected to the server, type /join #lionheart and you're in.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Nate
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nate »

Constipated BladeRunner wrote:EErrr, how on earth does IRC work/what is it/how do you get it?
HAHAHAHAHAHahahahhahhehehehohohohperjhlketjhfmnkfhn

You forum people are great
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Nate wrote:
Constipated BladeRunner wrote:EErrr, how on earth does IRC work/what is it/how do you get it?
HAHAHAHAHAHahahahhahhehehehohohohperjhlketjhfmnkfhn

You forum people are great
Considering who you're talking about, that the dumb chimp can connect through AOL is even more remarkable.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

LOL! You so crazy, Rosh.

I think it's interesting that they said there's no time to add "stupid" options to dialog. Not only does that seem like it will unbalance the game somewhat (ie if you don't like to use speech you can almost totally ignore it without penalty), but it was added in FO2 despite a ludicrously short development cycle. Since they have a few months left, you'd think they could put something in. :?
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Well, my question about the good natured perk has been answered.
It's good they are re balancing it.

With all the changes being made, it looks much better.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Doyle wrote:I think it's interesting that they said there's no time to add "stupid" options to dialog. Not only does that seem like it will unbalance the game somewhat (ie if you don't like to use speech you can almost totally ignore it without penalty), but it was added in FO2 despite a ludicrously short development cycle. Since they have a few months left, you'd think they could put something in. :?
I've talked to Eric about this off and on since the beginning. The problem seems to be that Reflexive, and BIS since they could easily just force Reflexive to put it in, thinks that dumb dialogue is nothing more than a game long running gag joke rather than an actual role playing aspect.
------------------
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, mostly I like the gameplay elements even if I'm somewhat suspicious of the random item generator. They seem to have taken the best elements out of other RPGs and tweaked them, mainly BG, but there's really no other major title in the 'fantasy' genre. The biggest flaw seems to be the lack of freedom, role-playing. As many other CRPGs, different ways to deal the end-boss isn't exactly non-linearity and the possibility to affect the gameworld. Ending cutscenes for every town/faction a la Fallout would improve this though. But otherwise, Lionheart looks like it's gonna be an interesting title, set in Europe. :wink:
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Saint_Proverbius wrote: I've talked to Eric about this off and on since the beginning. The problem seems to be that Reflexive, and BIS since they could easily just force Reflexive to put it in, thinks that dumb dialogue is nothing more than a game long running gag joke rather than an actual role playing aspect.
Yes, it has nothing to do with playing "Whack-A-Critter".

In reality, low-Int speech has nothing to do with ROLL-PLAYING, and therefore should not be put in.

Obviously the morons haven't played Arcanum at all, then they would have a clue. Again it boils down to the Inbred Engine:

Int 1: "Greetings, fair merchant. I was wondering if I could perhaps take a look at your fine wares."
Int 25: "Greetings, fair merchant. I was wondering if I could perhaps take a look at your fine wares."
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

RFLX_Eric_Dallaire - there is an underground area with mindless undead, for instance, where speech can only be used on some of main boss enemies. you would have to avoid the lesser minions with speech
Good to know that necropolis will be in lionheart.
Lord_Zero - Is it possible for a dumb character to get lucky and talk his way out of a mess, just as well as a smart character?
RFLX_Eric_Dallaire - if that character has speech, yes
whaaaa?
Spazmo - What role does the luck statistic play in Lionheart?
RFLX_Eric_Dallaire - luck is big
RFLX_Eric_Dallaire - it influences fortune which is applied to every variable roll
RFLX_Eric_Dallaire - it also affects random encounters, some dialog, and various other random things
whaaaa?
:chew:
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Doyle wrote:I think it's interesting that they said there's no time to add "stupid" options to dialog. Not only does that seem like it will unbalance the game somewhat (ie if you don't like to use speech you can almost totally ignore it without penalty), but it was added in FO2 despite a ludicrously short development cycle. Since they have a few months left, you'd think they could put something in. :?
I've talked to Eric about this off and on since the beginning. The problem seems to be that Reflexive, and BIS since they could easily just force Reflexive to put it in, thinks that dumb dialogue is nothing more than a game long running gag joke rather than an actual role playing aspect.
I think it is more a combination of the two.
Anyway, (at least in FO), I find it extraordinarily unlikely that they would send someone that could only repeat the sound "gnnnarggg", no matter how funny it is.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Constipated BladeRunner wrote: I think it is more a combination of the two.
Anyway, (at least in FO), I find it extraordinarily unlikely that they would send someone that could only repeat the sound "gnnnarggg", no matter how funny it is.
No, it sounds like your life's story. The reason they might use someone like that is because they would have been the most expendable of anyone and might have been a bother to keep around for some reason.

Please, for once, try to use your head as something other than a target for low flying aircraft.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Don't worry about it too much. I dled it and installed it. But it can't find the #fallout chat room no matter what I try so I gave up on it.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Read, I KNOW THAT THEY WOULD CONSIDER HIM EXPENDABLE! OF COURSE I KNOW THAT!
BUT WHY WOULD THEY SEND HIM IF HE IS THE SECOND, OR THE THIRD, AS THE SKELETON IMPLYS! WHY? IT DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE! ANYWAY, IT SAYS THAT IT WAS SIMPLY LUCK THAT ANYONE WAS SENT OUT OF THE VAULT- DRAW STRAWS!
Cabal
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Cabal »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
I'll take the blame for this one. Basically dumb dialogue can be done very well, as it was in Fallout, or it can be done as a running gag of 'Duh, uh, where quest?'. We could easily do the latter, but the former takes time and we recognized that we didn't have the time to do it well enough to include it. If there was more time in the schedule, we would probably go back and add it so that it was humorous, not repetitive, and it didn't prevent you from learning/understanding enough plot where you couldn't finish the game. To do low intelligence dialogue well, it really requires that you create a parallel but divergent script for the entire game, and it just wasn't feasible.

It's a design conceit that you are more intelligent than the average peasant and that you're not the village idiot. High intelligence allows you to gain additional options though.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Constipated BladeRunner wrote:Read, I KNOW THAT THEY WOULD CONSIDER HIM EXPENDABLE! OF COURSE I KNOW THAT!
BUT WHY WOULD THEY SEND HIM IF HE IS THE SECOND, OR THE THIRD, AS THE SKELETON IMPLYS! WHY? IT DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE! ANYWAY, IT SAYS THAT IT WAS SIMPLY LUCK THAT ANYONE WAS SENT OUT OF THE VAULT- DRAW STRAWS!
It might not make sense to you, because your facilities for understanding it are rather...limited.

Now, it's obvious that the presence of other vaults has excaped you, like perhaps...someone from Vault 15 or another vault at such a time could have been trying to find Vault 13 or stumbled upon it by accident and have died for whatever reason. That person was not from V13 as you were the first person to leave since it was sealed. I know it must be rough getting the neurons firing quicker than tar, but do yourself a favor and have a glass of liquid oxygen and chill.

Again, thanks for trying, chimp.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Rosh wrote: ... That person was not from V13 as you were the first person to leave since it was sealed. ...
This isn't quite true- At the least, Talius was sent out from V13.
Our Host!