First mapping question in the new forums! HORAAAAAY!

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

First mapping question in the new forums! HORAAAAAY!

Post by Max-Violence »

OK, we all know and love the Sandbag set of tiles. Now, we also know how handy the 6-level tall wooden ends (or "pegs" as I like to call 'em) are.

My Q is: Does anyone know where some tiles are that look/fuction like those tiles as if they were horizontally oriented? (i.e. if they were knocked over)

If not, that'd be a good first tile creation with the (hopefully) up-and-coming Tile Editor.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Nope, there sure isn't anything like what you're looking for. You can use the "Internal Caps" found under Generic Tiles to simulate it, though.

I personally quite using those things in favor of pretty much anything else, simply because i don't feel like having every sandbag cluster propped up with carved wood - who takes time out to do all this stuff? - so I use barrels, posts, supports from the industrial tile set, etc., etc.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:
I personally quite using those things in favor of pretty much anything else, simply because i don't feel like having every sandbag cluster propped up with carved wood - who takes time out to do all this stuff?
Uh... *raises hand*

I think it looks so much cleaner with the pegs/half-pegs or the sandbag tiles that are sorta triangular (like a slope er somethin') at the end, rather than an abrupt halt in the sandbags.

But in "real-life" (whatever that is...), I suppose that not everybody would spend the extra time to make sandbag formations look purdy. But this is a game, and I'm the mapper, so if I wanna make my map look nice, then by golly, I'm gonna do it! :)

But yea, I see yer point in using other tiles to end the sandbag row. I sometimes use crates or some small object (barrells, white goods, etc.), but the wooden pegs look so damn cool!
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote: I think it looks so much cleaner with the pegs/half-pegs or the sandbag tiles that are sorta triangular (like a slope er somethin') at the end, rather than an abrupt halt in the sandbags.

But yea, I see yer point in using other tiles to end the sandbag row. I sometimes use crates or some small object (barrells, white goods, etc.), but the wooden pegs look so damn cool!
*hehe* Sound like you started out to disagree then agreed w/me. :)

Yes, I use barrels, crates, rocks, weed sinks, etc., etc. I do sometimes use what you call "pegs", but it depends largely on what I'm trying to do. One of my favorites of late - it gives the place that trashy look - is using the corner tiles (2x2x6) from the Junk Half-walls set.

I agree that it looks like shit if you just lop a sandbag formation off at the end w/o anything to brace it, though. Personally, I wish that we had more sandbag tiles in larger increments so that we didn't have to resort of filling in that one last world unit at the end of a row.

OTB
Munky
Regular
Regular

Post by Munky »

What i wouldnt give for circular sand bag walls!
I wont go down in history...but i will go down on your sister.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Munky wrote:What i wouldnt give for circular sand bag walls!
Ditto.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

As we're talking about tiles here, I remember someone asking for tiles to make a pyramid with. I don't know about that, but I think a Zigurat(which technically is a pyramid) can be constructed, but you'll have to be satisfied with tin tiles instead of bricks.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:...but you'll have to be satisfied with tin tiles instead of bricks.
I don't follow. Which tin tiles? Why not use the Mission 06 Prison tileset for bricks?

(Is this the part where we start going on about how we "have mud for bricks and slime for mortar, let us build a tower to reach the heavens?")

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Sorry, haven't checked those. Can you make it seem like these brick are rising as pyramids? A similar effect can be simulated with the tin roof top tiles(at least I think they're called tin.Never good at metallurgy) but not in perfection.
Our Host!