Neon Genesis Evangelion review

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Neon Genesis Evangelion review

Post by Gimp Mask »

Neon Genesis (Mega Drive in the EU) Evangelion is a Japanese cartoon about teenagers who fight giant monsters using giant robots, but then nearing the end the director apparently discovers this thing called psychology, so the final two episodes are a bunch of pseudo-mystic psycho-babble about... whatever, he just shoehorns all of that shit into the show without a care in the world which is pretty ballsy I guess but f*cks with the flow of da show. Then again I'm always thrown off by the weird fucking pacing of these Japanese cartoons, maybe this is a normal jap show I don't know.

I give it 2/5 stars because I was sick over the weekend and the show was a solid waste of time, also the 1st episode gave me some hauntologic 90s vibes but maybe that was just the fever I don't know. Highly not recommended, unless this sounds like something you might enjoy, in which case recommended and I give it 3 starz
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion review

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I always fuckin disliked Eva. The protagonist is literally the worst, whiniest protagonist I’ve seen for a popular piece of media and the creator huffs his own farts as if he needed them to survive. Any series that needs like 3 movies to explain it’s ending and it’s still stupid and confusing is an awful waste of time. The new re-reboot movies are ok, but original Eva is the definition of overrated.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Yeah I was definitely expecting a bit more from such a cult classic. Never been a big anime fan besides the usual stuff like Akira, GITS and Ghibli so I decided to give this one a go and probably won't watch anime ever again
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Ever check out Cowboy Bebop? The anime is about as good as it gets in my opinion. Netflix should have a mob hit done on em for such an awful live action adaptation.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Yeah I saw it some 15+ years ago, earlier this year I was wondering whether it's worth a rewatch, but I was worried that the young me liked it much more than the adult me would and that it'd ruin my positive image of it
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Can't go wrong with the first season of FLCL, six episodes of perfect animation.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I am not a Manga Man myself, I have seen what gave been aforementioned in this here thread. In my generation I am called the Weeb lmao
Our Host!