NEW OLD FORUMS

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

NEW OLD FORUMS

Post by Taluntain »

Well, we did it. The forum conversion's gone through with fewer issues than I anticipated, given the major hurdles in the past attempts. There's still a lot of cleanup to do, but most of the stuff is already up and working. For anyone who hasn't been paying attention in the previous thread, upgrading phpBB before we can move XenForo2 was unfortunately necessary due to several attempts at converting directly from the old phpBB2 failing, along with certain loss of data. Having converted the old forums to the latest version of phpBB, we should now hopefully be able to further convert DAC to XF2 in the near future. In the meantime:

KNOWN ISSUES:
- emojis got broken in transfer, can't be helped (you can manually fix them where you see them)
- certain "foreign" characters and symbols got broken in transfer (edit them and fix them manually)
- the style is a temporary work in progress, but I think it came out decent enough
- HTML tags will show in places, this will be fixed sooner or later (probably)

There will be other minor stuff to fix here and there, so feel free to REPORT ISSUES in this thread. Dump anything that doesn't look OK in here and let me know. We might actually set up some staff again to fix things up besides me doing everything.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Re: NEW OLD FORUMS

Post by Mismatch »

certain "foreign" characters and symbols got broken in transfer (edit them and fix them manually)
But everything here is in foreign
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

I'm so proud of you Taluntain, can I interview you for the podcast? :peace:
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

Post by Taluntain »

Thanks but I'll pass on interviews, the one I gave Gimp Mask recently was pretty exhaustive already. :D
Sorcerer's Place - https://sorcerers.net
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

Post by Taluntain »

I fixed the html in forum descriptions and updated a few outdated descriptions as well. More work to be done in the area of consolidating and adding new forums in the near future.
Dr. Deo
s3x g0d
s3x g0d

Post by Dr. Deo »

B) :salute:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Why are the avatars on the right side? This feels wrong. I don't like change! I'm too white.
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

Post by Taluntain »

That's the default in phpBB3. And no, there's no easy way to change it, phpBB is still horribly clunky in many respects, but at least it's a small improvement over the 20 year old previous version.
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

Post by Taluntain »

All hail the newest DAC Administrator, Twiglard.

Twiglard has proven himself to be a very capable coder who's already managed to resurrect the DAC front page and content pages and is also working on restoring some other long-lost parts of DAC, like the infamous Gallery. We're still discussing what makes sense to restore and to what extent before I do the conversion to XenForo2, but the idea is to get the site up to at least semi-functional state so that later on any content worth transferring can be copied from the old CMS into the new, whether it be a XF2 addon or something else.

After that's done, maybe Gimp Mask and anyone else interested could go over the old hosted sites/subdomains and any other old content and see about restoring it, featuring it on the site pages and so on. Naturally the interviews GM's done will also be featured as site content.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Thanks Twiglard :salute:

I had a look at the folders a while back, I don't think there's a whole lot left of any hosted content so should be pretty easy to fix, most of the problems are probably related to some ancient subdomain stuff
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

Post by Taluntain »

^^ tru dat. And Flash. That's dead as a dodo.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Flash isn't dead, it's just sleeping. Like VHS and 8-track tapes. Just wait it'll come back around.
Dr. Deo
s3x g0d
s3x g0d

Post by Dr. Deo »

Taluntain wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:11 pm All hail the newest DAC Administrator Twiglard
Our Host!