PCI-e 3.0 card in a PCI-e 1.1 slot - opinions?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

PCI-e 3.0 card in a PCI-e 1.1 slot - opinions?

Post by PiP »

hello fellow dackers B)

So as per the topic, I want to buy a PCI-e 3.0 card and put it in a PCI-e 1.1 slot. As far as I know, the difference between the different generation of PCIs is the bandwidth (and power connection), which the card might not really need.

The card is GeForce GTX 660 2GB by the way.
Or I could get 560 GTX 1GB for PCI-e 2.0 if the 660 would be bottlenecked by my older PCI-e and the 560 wouldn't?

Thoughts? Opinions? Cheers! :drunk:
PiP

Post by PiP »

Meh ok I've found my own answer: according to this website, an even more efficient card (gtx 680) was only throttled to 95% efficiency in PCI-e 1.1 x16, so I'm not risking to lose much power. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Inte ... ng/23.html
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

I'm afraid your query would probably have been outdated before you got any answer, PiP. :dance:
PiP

Post by PiP »

Toxic :D long time!
In related news, I've decided to upgrade my CPU to C2Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz) - I know it's kinda old but it's in the recommended specs for GTA-V or something similarly new and it matches my 775 socket (I'd like to keep the board), as oppsed to Core i3 and later.
I havent had anything to do with hardware for about 5 years so tell me if I'm not doing something obviously silly?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Does socketing the new CPU give you a truly meaningful enhancement?
(And can your board take it w/o too much bottlenecking? Plus heat/power issues.)

Perhaps just wait a few years until the board is obsolete then do a rebuild.

*cheapskate option*
PiP

Post by PiP »

the socket is not an issue here as the cpu and the board are compatible. I'm just saying I won't be getting a newer gen cpu of comparable performance (say, something like core-i3 560) because I'd have to change the m.board, which in this case seems pointeless (same gaming performance).

edit: ah shit I think I just reliased what you meant by 'socketing' Redeye; 'installing,' right? Fuck I'm still alien to this language. In this case, yes I think my old CPU is rather underpowered (C2Duo E8200 2.66) and I hope the board (Gigabyte P35-DS3L) should not bottleneck it.

Yeah I thought heat might be an issue as the new CPU take over 100 Watts I think but I might just get a good cooler if need be.

Can't wait much more with the upgrades as my video card is playing up and probably about to die, while the old processor would be a performance bottleneck with the new card.
Last edited by PiP on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

yo i don't know
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

PiP wrote:I've decided to upgrade my CPU to C2Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz)
C2Quad is great. Had it on my old rig, works as well as an i7 provided you keep it in good condition.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Thanks for your respective inputs guys :dack4life:

Tox did you have problems cooling that chip?
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

I did, but not because of the chip. The fan setup that came with the proc was a shitty plastic one, and the lockdown screws got worn out pretty quick making the whole thing unstable. I never actually fixed it properly, lols.

Barring any problems of that sort, OCing should go smoothly with some additional cooling. Never did myself, though, as the only thing that'd actually need it would be PS3 emulation.
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

just push it into the slot.. mmmmm... real hard..
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Our Host!