A Good Day to Die Hard

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

A Good Day to Die Hard

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

This is the 5th Die Hard movie and if you have been paying attention to it at all you will have realized that everyone seems to hate it. It currently has 16% on Rotten Tomatoes which is usually a bad sign. I saw the reviews before even going to see the movie and I feel like the movie is better than what the reviewers will make you think, it probably is the weakest Die Hard but not so bad as to be considered a bad movie.

There isn't a lot of plot or character interactions like the other ones but it had some decent action and quite a few scenes reminisce of Die Hard. Basically John Mclane goes to Russia to find his son and finds out his son is in the CIA so he helps him out, it ends up being a father and son action romp.

There are already a ton of articles on the internet trying to explain what the formula is that makes a good Die Hard movie and why Die Hard 5 sucks because it doesn't follow them. They are mostly right about the formula for Die Hard movie but DH5 not following them doesn't completely ruin it.

I liked some of the action even though it had shaky cam and shaky cam is horrible on Imax theaters. I don't know why I liked it maybe because the whole environments they are in are getting torn apart and I like when gun fire tears shit up. Quite a few scenes are set up to look like older scenes in Die Hard which was cool and I liked that, probably helped me like the movie better.

I honestly can't predict how you will react to the movie if you haven't seen it yet but the internet consensus with fans seems to consist of the majority of people hating it with a small minority of people (including some Die Hard enthusiasts) enjoying it.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

As a die hard fan of the film series and not being that impressed with the last movie that came out, I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Went to go see it with my room mate and got my face melted from all the explosions.

Confirmed for best Valentine's Day movie ever.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: A Good Day to Die Hard

Post by rad resistance »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Basically John Mclane goes to Russia to find his son and finds out his son is in the CIA so he helps him out, it ends up being a father and son action romp.
Reason why the film is shit. On a different note saw Battleship it was properly the worst movie i have ever seen. Why would HBO bother even putting that half-ass piece of shit on the television its like they give up on the film 15 mins in. Being stoned didnt help.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Die Hard 5 wasn't that bad. It just was...unremarkable. Like none of the gunfights felt like they had any substance in them, although I will say that the initial chase sequence through Moscow was pretty entertaining. This is one of those cases where again, I feel like I could have written a better script as nothing felt particularly well done.

Despite that, I'd probably still place it higher than Die Hard 4 - even if I liked the actual action scenes in 4 better.

Edit: You know the weirdest part of the movie? Defying Chekov's Gun. They give Bruce an "Old School Pirate Gun," make a big deal out of it, and for the life of me, I honestly do not remember it ever being used or seen again.
Our Host!