Killing them Softly - Rotten Tomatoes 79%

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Killing them Softly - Rotten Tomatoes 79%

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

First off I want to say that Rotten Tomatoes has this movie pegged at 79% and has it named "certified fresh". The previews made it look decent and it has Brad Pitt in it so I thought it can't be that bad. It was bad, like really bad. You've all read my reviews, you know I can often find the good in many movies but this one I really can't. Honestly movies like this really make me hate critics because they so easily get a boner at the hint of an underlying tone in a movie that they excuse all other aspects of the movie because it's supposed to "fit" some underlying tone that no one gets.

It's a small time crime type movie where some guys rob some card playing place and then it deals with the aftermath. Brad Pitt is brought in as a hit guy and it mainly focused on him but the movie isn't really about the story it's about douche bags that talk too much like James Gandolfini's character and how much they can mix in speeches of the financial crisis and the political campaigns from 2008.

I'm actually really disappointed because I felt like I was duped by the critics who should be doing their job instead of thinking how smart people will think they are if they rate this movie well because they "understood" it when other people didn't. They try and set an underlying tone of America and capitalism but it doesn't connect at all and it stood out like a sore thumb.

Honestly Brad Pitt has been building up good chops and generally can pick good roles but this one seems is like a complete cluster fuck, I really hope someone tells him that this movie sucks and to start doing good movies.

Don't see this movie, it sucks.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Good to know, Poops.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Did you like the Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford? Maybe you just don't like Andrew Dominik?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I thought it was pretty decent? It *was* a lot of people talking, but so's Fight Club. I think my criticism would be that the frequent 2008 clips hammer the point of the movie abit too hard and they could have not put them so much in the foreground. I mean, I get what they're trying to do, but sometimes a light touch is what's necessary, or at least knowing where and when to apply pressure. Instead I felt like the the movie was beating the audience with an idea so the stupid people can also understand and feel smart. Still, I'd rather a movie with an intelligent point and subtext try to explain it abit too loudly than a movie like Prometheus with no intelligence pretend like it has some grand point and just fizzles. A 79% is about where I'd put it, honestly.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'm okay with people talking a lot but it has to be something interesting and with good characters, this movie had neither one.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Only film worth seeing this xmas season has to be the Hobbit. Everything else can take a backseat. Was gonna see this film but now im not so sure, good review poops A+ effort.
Cow Cud is a twin.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

rad resistance wrote:Only film worth seeing this xmas season has to be the Hobbit.
7 sleeps to go
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

You guys are looking forward to the hobbit? I heard they are making three movies out of it which just kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth, there is barely enough book to last one movie.

Also Susan, I never saw the Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford but if it's anything like this I should probably stay away.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

ALL THE GRANDFATHER CLOCKS.

Post by Blargh »

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is worth watching, if only for the soundtrack (which is frigging lovely) by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. YES. :drunk:
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

The Hobbit looks good, they're not leaving anything out from the books from what I gather, and they're also including the wizards getting together and fighting the Necromancer of Dol Goldur. All in all I'm pretty excited.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

rad resistance wrote:Only film worth seeing this xmas season has to be the Hobbit. Everything else can take a backseat. Was gonna see this film but now im not so sure, good review poops A+ effort.
I counted at least four. If you include american comedy.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote: Also Susan, I never saw the Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford but if it's anything like this I should probably stay away.
Haven't seen Killing Them Softly yet, but the Assassination is seriously worth watching. It's a slow and long movie though, you are warned. It's not an action movie, but a psychological thriller or something like that.

The images are beautiful, and it's supposed to be extremely historically accurate.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Funny when Brad gets shot in the back of the head. Love how its just sudden and right to the point great movie assassination.
Cow Cud is a twin.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

bag

Post by jimmypneumatic »

The Hobbit's plot was so spread out It lasted an eternity, in that time I was thinking of what to say if I reviewed it. Then I walked out before the credits rolled, I had to pee really, really badly...

I didn't appreciate the delinquent fallacy of attempting to make money off J.R.R. (you know who). Fantasy is nice, but sci-fi is better. The kids will remember, I didn't.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Really good movie, this. Not the best trailer in the world, promoting something that isn't there, so if you're looking for whiz-bang, brite lites and loud noises-entertainment you'd be better off looking somewhere else. 'Coz what you get is a slow but not plodding (not "too long", either), stylish but not every-conversation-needs-to-end-in-a-cliche-tarantino-style, grim, wonderfully acted (although most of these guys have been doing the exact same part for most of their careers) can't-do-no-wrong plot with great sfx and ost and quite remarkable photography, headlined by pretty-boy turned most versatile actor of this generation, mr Pitt. It's Sonatine-raw with the dramatic sense (or lack thereof) of The American if it was shot in Shitville, USA.

Sounds like "...Robert Ford"'d be right up my alley.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Did you like the Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford? Maybe you just don't like Andrew Dominik?
"Chopper" is the only vaguely original film he has made, since then he has just tried super duper hard to be Terrence Malick. Chopper is the shit, though.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Our Host!