The Last of Us E3 2012 Gameplay

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

The Last of Us E3 2012 Gameplay

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://www.falloutwiki.com/The Last of Us">Game: The Last of Us</a>

<p>There's a good looking post apocalyptic game that was shown at E3 today called The Last of Us. In a gaming environment that often overblows violence to a comical level, the following video features some fairly realistic violence. Check it out:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>
<object width="425" height="350" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZYkj0glnqs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZYkj0glnqs" />
</object>
</p>
<p><em>The Last of Us is genre-defining experience blending survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague. Cities are abandoned and being reclaimed by nature. Remaining survivors are killing each other for food, weapons and whatever they can find. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a young teenage girl who's braver and wiser beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

Developed by Naughty Dog, The Last of Us is being made exclusively for the PS3 system.</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>While that last sentence is enough to put most of us off entirely, we can always hope that it ends up getting developed for other systems.</p>
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Enter The Road TPS

Post by Tofu Man »

That trailer looks like paper napkin-thin sequence of so tightly scripted events, they're more akin to a "press fast-forward to win" cgi movie than a game proper, not unlike that Ucharted crap. Which is a shame, because potential, yadda yadda...

Also, call me old, but that's almost cringe-inducing levels of violence. I didn't find watching the slamming of someone's head into a cupboard to be even remotely as fun as it was to electrocute someone into a dustpile, fifteen years ago.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Why should I give a damn about this when Dead State just went on Kickstarter?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: Enter The Road TPS

Tofu Man wrote:That trailer looks like paper napkin-thin sequence of so tightly scripted events, they're more akin to a "press fast-forward to win" cgi movie than a game proper, not unlike that Ucharted crap. Which is a shame, because potential, yadda yadda...
Totally agree. It says it's a "survival/action" game, which I take to mean an adventure game where there's really only 1 way to go. Reminds me a bit of Sanitarium.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

SenisterDenister wrote:Why should I give a damn about this when Dead State just went on Kickstarter?
I would, assuming it were a bona-fide post-apoc survival sandbox game and not "yet another fucking" TPS with QTE fistfights and consoletard design. What a shame.

On a semi-related note, there's a post-apoc 2d side-scroller going about that looks neat-ish, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it's called.

Also, Sanitarium, Koc? How come?
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

So as someone who has watched all the gamespot live stages and all the press possible I would like to clear up one thing. It issnt really that scripted, it just appears to be. Examples you say?

AI will react differently if you pull out a baseball bat and will likely not spend the few bullets they have trying to shoot you. The girl wont throw a brick at a guy if you havent already passed a location where she could pick up one. She wont always interact, sometimes she hides, other times she finds helpful items and smashes a guys face in. AI will listen and react to your position and avaliable ammo, leading them to charge you if they hear you firing an empty gun. "I know that sound..." You can avoid much more of the combat than the trailer implies. Stealth is an option, but your guy issnt exactly Solid Snake. The brutal fighting is not over the top hollywood stuff. Have you ever seen a fight? A real one? Smashing a guys face into a wall is the *least* you would to if he is intent on killing you.

I WATCHED ALL THE E3 STUFF AMA! KARMA PLZ!
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Tofu Man wrote:Also, Sanitarium, Koc? How come?
It was just the feeling I got from it. Sanitarium was a gritty, realistic game (as realistic as you can get in a warped hallucination) that had no comic relief aspect. It was filled with tension, without resorting to dark, shadowy scenes or pop-out scares. It was also a single player adventure game that you could run around as much as you wanted in, but the storyline only progressed in one, linear direction.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Superhaze wrote:So as someone who has watched all the gamespot live stages and all the press possible I would like to clear up one thing. It issnt really that scripted, it just appears to be. Examples you say?
A good friend of mine works for a game company that announced a new game at E3, and he said the demos that are showed are pretty much totally scripted and has nothing to do with the real game mechanics, they script the demo so that it looks like it's supposed to be.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Well, clearly all the demos are finely tuned to show off exactly what they want to show. No one is really debating that aspect of it, but many of the events that happened in The last of us appeared to be more scripted than they actually were. For instance, the enemies wont be in the same spot every time, they wont attack using the same patterns or react in the same manner every time you enter. If you stealth past them but leave evidence of you beein there they might follow you and try taking you by surprise later or simply ignore you and be satisfied with being alive and kicking. The closed-door showings were *apparantly* much more varied in The Last of Us than they were in some other games being showed this year, where the devs played the exact same run every time.

If you wanna see gameplay that was (according to various game-devs on twitter and foums etc.) heavily scripted but didnt appear to be you should take a look at watch dogs. Possibly the "winner" of E3 this year, but the playthrough was so tightly managed that it was impossible to differentiate between scripted events and gameplay. All this in any case is irrelevant as these demos are mostly interactive tech-demos for the game-press to salivate over and for suits to invest in.
Ricardo
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ricardo »

All who want to bring The Last of Us to PC, please go to http://petitionbureau.org/thelastofuspc
Your vote is very important.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

:wheelie:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

SenisterDenister wrote::wheelie:
I couldn't have said better.