Prometheus

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet

Prometheus

Post by Subhuman »

Prequel to Alien involving the origins of the "space jockey" creature, and/or the genesis of the human race. Directed by Ridley Scott. Filmed in 3D. Starring Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, and Charlize Theron. Judging from the trailers, it's going to be thought-provoking sci-fi coupled with explosive, skin-crawling mayhem. I am literally counting the days till its release.

Thoughts?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Me, like any other dude, is looking forward to the movie but I'm always skeptical. I'm unsure how far they are going to go with the Alien prequel type idea since from the previews kind of make it look like they aren't really focusing on the aliens (xenomorphs) but that it might be inserted towards the end?

Either way it looks like it's going to be a hardcore science fiction movie which we haven't had in quite awhile. What I don't like is that fact that they are doing 3d on it since I thought Riddley Scott would actually have enough dignity not to do that shit.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Can't fucking wait.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Scooper of the Poop wrote:What I don't like is that fact that they are doing 3d on it since I thought Riddley Scott would actually have enough dignity not to do that shit.
Supposedly he required some convincing, but was sold on it after seeing the results. It's actually filmed in 3D, not upconverted from 2D, and it's been done using Avatar levels of technology. I can take or leave 3D in general, but it sounds like they've done a good job with this one.
SenisterDenister

If you're gonna do it do it right, I suppose.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

The human race has been waiting ten thousand years for this movie. :rapture:
I miss the good ol' USSA.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I'm unsure how far they are going to go with the Alien prequel type idea since from the previews kind of make it look like they aren't really focusing on the aliens (xenomorphs) but that it might be inserted towards the end?
From what the dudes making it have said, while it takes place in the same universe as Ripley and all that, it won't have anything to do with it. It runs parallel if you catch my drift. They are connected, but imagine that Weyland-Yutani has two separate departments: one for the xenomorphs and one for the space jockeys.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

and then there's blade runner 2014! oh joy!

Post by Tofu Man »

Part of me is curious bc it's sci-fi but the majority of me couldn't give a shit bc:

1. It's prolly mainstream PG13 bullshit
2. Hollywood's track record these last 10 or more years has been awful
3. Ridley Scott only ever had two really good flicks, the last of which came out 30 years ago
4. It's only "original" in a legal sense; otherwise it's a story based on a prop from the original Alien movie

But then, given a choice between this and movie-based-on-table-top-game-that's-exactly-the-same-shit-as-Transformers-minus-MichealBey(and you'd think that was a plus)-but-failed-because-people-"couldn't-take-it-seriously" (HA!), I know exactly which one I'd choose. The one based on the Parker Monopoly game. :drunk:
SenisterDenister

You're wrong on your first point, what with it being rated R, and I've got a feeling you haven't watched the trailers either.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

What, the one with the rolling donut? Moar VFX bombast? Colour me unimpressed. And it's R? Ok, so maybe it won't be totally infantile, maybe it'll be totally infantile with a couple of shock scares or a lot of blood; I'll reserve the right to be cynical based on all other evidence until convinced of otherwise. At least you could've told me I'd forgotten Thelma & Louise.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Re: and then there's blade runner 2014! oh joy!

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Tofu Man wrote: 3. Ridley Scott only ever had two really good flicks, the last of which came out 30 years ago
Gladiator. Don't forget Gladiator, and, while it wasn't insanely amazing, Blackhawk Down wasn't complete shit. Those were still about a decade ago. And I think the last of his flicks I've seen.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: and then there's blade runner 2014! oh joy!

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Dogmeatlives wrote:
Tofu Man wrote: 3. Ridley Scott only ever had two really good flicks, the last of which came out 30 years ago
Gladiator. Don't forget Gladiator, and, while it wasn't insanely amazing, Blackhawk Down wasn't complete shit. Those were still about a decade ago. And I think the last of his flicks I've seen.
Seems to me like he's had a lot of near misses (hits?) lately. Doesn't please me to say that.

Better to downplay the Alien angle methinks, way too much baggage and expectations to ever fulfill.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Prometheus is shit and ends with a dolphin alien

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Being an Alien fan, seeing this movie is a duty to me. I'm not shielded from seeing a shitty movie though. Robin Hood was painful.
SenisterDenister

Yeah I'm still going to see it, for better or worse.

Wait, how were you able to get your hands on it, Max? Its not coming out for another four days.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I just saw it and I have to say it was disappointing. I'll try and describe it in a way where I don't really give out any story details.

Basically everything looks really cool the movie but the execution of all the scenes just seems really poor and everything feels like they pass over it too fast like it has no significance. People barely interact with each other so it's not like there are a lot of cool dynamics. The movie is constantly filled with moments when people are doing STUPID shit that makes no sense and it brings you out of the film. This is a team of scientists and doctors acting like idiots. Everything in terms of actors, acting, the sets were fine they just had to connect the pieces.

I feel almost angry that our last bastion of a good sci fi movie ended up being such a fuck up but I had a feeling that this is how it was going to be. I'm amazed how someone like Riddley Scott can sit down and watch this movie and not see what is wrong with it. My guess is there was some major dick sucking where no one was questioning each other and just doing what first came to mind. I honestly think we are in a time where everything cool like Sci-Fi and good solid movies is dead.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Scott said about a year ago that he felt the alien biology had to change on account of it being "too old and boring." Hahah, fuckin whateva. Having read through assloads of AVP related lore throughout my life, and now seeing the transformation not only of them but of the space jockies, I'm just... kinda not sure what to say. I did LIKE it, though. Not as much as Alien, but there were parts I really did enjoy. Got a point with weak connections at points in the movie, Pooper, but it was still tasty. Fassbender seemed to portray a pretty decent Bishop-type of intimidating robot.

I'm pretty out of it right now. Smoked, watched Prometheus on IMAX, now just... here in my boxers, feeling my joints tickle and my eyes bulge. Hehehe. Yeeah. Though I would say I wanted some toffee. Eughrh. After all those wafers I need more sugars for the diabeetus. Sour Patch kids are gummies, the likes of which I cannot fathom. Lewll. Somehow I think there needs to be a mix between the Grey and Prometheus, where Liam Neeson is trying to survive on the barren wastelandic planet and he constantly has to defend himself from alien attacks, but he just is mista badass and rolls Space Cowboy Road Warrior Grande and is Han Solo on NATURAL MALE ENHANCEMENT.

I self sabotage with girls I like. Don't know why but I totally do. Kinda sucks. I dunno. Maybe they like me and I overthink things or lack accurate recognition of conversation signs or some shit. Idunno. Kinda lame.

DO YOU GUISE LIKE HORCHATA?!?!?!?!??!?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

The thing is, if you were high you probably would have liked it a lot more than it really was.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

blasphemy
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I thought it was OK. The surgery scene almost gave me a hard on.
Our Host!