Mapper is updated !

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Dims
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Mapper is updated !

Post by Dims »

You may get it from here:
www.hot.ee/fallout

Adding new objects into map.
Drawing floor and roof tiles.
Deleting objects.
Change object properties.
Save modifications into map file.
Navigator Updated.
bloodl
SDF!
SDF!

Post by bloodl »

Great job man!!!!You have all the fallout moding comunity at your feet!!!!!!
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Very nice improvements. Very nice.

I've run into one bug so far- when some items are placed directly on top of others, an error occurs when you try to click elsewhere with the select tool.
The following pattern seems to reproduce it on my machine on artemple.map:
(Loading data from DAT files)
Place Item 128
Place Item 142 at the same location
Switch to 'select object' and try to click anywhere.

System:
Win2k 5.00.2195
Celeron 533
256M RAM
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Is there a reason why it seems much slower?

Additionally, I'd like to request to be able to edit the map's script, if possible. Shouldn't be too hard!

Also, it'd be great of you'd also display the values in the properties in decimal (signed, possibly both signed and unsigned) form, and in the long term it'll help out to display them in varying formats as we'll hopefully look into the unkown ones to figure them out.

Oh and great job!
Tekno
SDF!
SDF!

Is there anyway...

Post by Tekno »

is there any way to delete the roofs? hmmm i'm trying right now .. then I thought i had it put down titles with the draw roof tab but that turns it into a roof i can walk right under it hehe um donno maybe this isnt possible yet!? This is a great tool tho and now that i know how to play the maps thx to Temaperacl :D Also about putting like say a knife into a chest or crate or something how do i do that modify the properties somehow!?
"This is none of your affair... Just turn around and walk away"
Red

Post by Red »

Reason being that...

You don't delete the floors/roof tiles!

In the map, there are always tiles! But the main black tile (ID:1, select the little "word" icon in the bottom list to see it - it's actually a transparant tile really) is the "invisible" tile representing no roofs (or "nothing" on the floors)
Tekno
SDF!
SDF!

Oh cripes..

Post by Tekno »

Yeah lol DUh thx red i shoulda known hrmmm lol man i feel dumb anywhoot thx um what about the items in other itmes thing like stuff on a sehlf guns ammo n a chest etc. lol thats prolly possible and as simple too eh? :?
"This is none of your affair... Just turn around and walk away"
Red

Post by Red »

No, actually I beleive that's not possible yet... Notice in the character properties that there's a number of items... but we can't change these items...
Carlos
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Carlos »

Could anyone explain me how to work with Mapper ?
For example why does the program keeps saying '' canvas do not allow ''
'' not permited '' etc .
If there is an english readme file or something that could help i would be very thankfull .
And plz i tried to overcome the problems but i can't learn how to work with it , so far i can olny open a map , i am no lazzy ass :!:
Dims
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Dims »

Carlos wrote:Could anyone explain me how to work with Mapper ?
For example why does the program keeps saying '' canvas do not allow ''
'' not permited '' etc .
You run mapper under Windows98. Mapper at present yet does not support Win98. Can run only on OS with NT technology (WinNT, Win 2K and WinXP) :oops:
Carlos
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Carlos »

Oh i see , i will try get Win 2k thanks for the information , and keep the good work , from what i have seen your mapper is excelent :D
And plz someone start working on new maps !!!!
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Dims wrote:You run mapper under Windows98. Mapper at present yet does not support Win98. Can run only on OS with NT technology (WinNT, Win 2K and WinXP) :oops:
I suppose there's no chance of a win 98 version?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Red

Post by Red »

Fuck '98, get 2k/XP, meanwhile use the .92a win9x version (no saving sadly) archived on the DaC mod utils if you really want to get a feel for it...
Red

Post by Red »

Great news, I'v ejust discovered why mapper ran so slow on my system!

See, I pointed the "data" directory to the wrong dir. So I take it it looked for the data in the wrong dir (failed to find it) and then looked into the DAT files (and needed to extract them). So I guess this entire process slowed it down, since when I fixed the path everything went smoothly again.

It should be noted that it ws only the character sprites which slowed down the system, if I didn't render them everything went smoothly.

Finally, the reason I pointed to the wrong dir is that I extract all my files into the root of fallout instead of into the data dir (and fallouts works dandy even without the DAT files that way).

Feature additions:
- Well, that's not a feauter but a later requirement - or explanation, as we can't seem to edit the objects within containers and/or on characters
- A way to add and remove map levels
- Change the script reference for a map
- Creation of an empty original map.

Again thanks for your great work!
Dims
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Mapper is now Win98 compatible !

Post by Dims »

Red

Post by Red »

Kickass, well, passing to DirectX removed the need for the 32bit GUI functions, thus it working on 9x and being faster! Great news!

You using DirectDraw7 or Direct3D8?

Also, It would really really by useful to display the "number" location (in decimal) of the current tile in addition to the X/Y value so we could use the location in the scripts in a much easyer manner (say we want to make an NPC walk to waypoints).
Odin
Respected
Respected

Post by Odin »

Oh, great...I've posted this on NMA, Dims.. :D
Webmaster@NMA
Red

Post by Red »

There are some random bugs sometims with it, Once there were tiles missing, and another time I couldn't place new NPCs nor walls (but everything else worked. Quitting and loading the map anew fixed all those problems however.

Now, for the life of me, I can't place 2 "walls" next to one another. We REALLY need a "preview" (even if it's just an outline) before we can place walls properly.

Anothe problem is the lack of undo, or something similar. Problem being say you place a wall, and you screwed it up, you have to switch modes (any hotkeys?), select it, delete it, and switch modes again to place it. Would be nice if the tile you placed was the current selection, so if you press del, it just deletes the last tile (it's not an real undo but it'll work just fine for now and is much easyer to impliment).
Cyborg Super Mutant
SDF!
SDF!

Tutorial would be nice?

Post by Cyborg Super Mutant »

any idea if a tutorial is gonna be available or even a readme with some help ? because i have no idea what im messin around with here ? Mapper tutorial sounds like a smart idea ..... any help on how to use this mapper would be great :?
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Can't get it working with my system. Whenever I try loading a map, I get a "Access violation at address 004015E2 in module 'mapper2.exe'. Readof address 00000000" error.
System is Win2k Pro w/DirectX 8.0. Older versions of the mapper still work fine.
Our Host!