I need someone to clear this up..

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

I need someone to clear this up..

Post by Som Guy »

ok im completly new to modding and i have some questions how do i unpack?
i have something called a mapper and in the requirements it tells me i need to "unpack" master and critter .dat into a folder
plz help me
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Get datman light (find it on the modding files on DaC).

the mapper is only used to view the maps though.

You can fiddle around with it though, but you can't save.
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

sry to bug you guys again but i dont know how to use the program you refrenced to me. could you explain simply how to unpack the dats to a folder? thx
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

First: If The newer version(s) of the mapper only need the map files extracted, not the whole dat.
Ok:

-Load up DatManLight
-Click Open (Top left corner or in the File menu)
-Browse to the Dat you want to open (It should be in your main fallout folder (For example, on this machine, my Fallout2 master DAT is at D:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2\Master.DAT).
-It may take a minute or two, and a window should appear with the contents of the DAT file.
-If you want to extract the whole DAT, click the all button at the top center, and then select the folder you want to extract it into- Presto! It wills start extracting to that folder.
-If you want to extract only a portion, select what you want to extract (either a folder on the left or specific files on the right), right click, and select Extract, choose where you want to extract those files to, and there you go.

I think that about covers how to use DatManLight.
Tekno
SDF!
SDF!

about the mapper...

Post by Tekno »

I figured out all the extraction stuff and stuff like that on my own but I have THE LATEST mapper for FO2 and it still can only view the maps!? Y!? omfg i can make all these cool maps and stuff which i have done but they don't work when i go to put them back in the master.dat! y is that so impossible!? Y the "F" can't i friggin well have a self made map and be happy in my own little fallout 2 world ive been waiting for this for like forever and its like right there but its only a F*****G VIEWER Y!? frigg this pisses me off how is it possible to be a viewer but being able to modify and everything else I WANNA BE ABLE TO WALK AROUND IN MY HOME MADE MAPS TELL ME Y THIS ISNT POSSIBLE DAMMIT! TEAM X DiD an excellent job so far now y not go the extra mile! im sure im NOT the only one who feels this way and BiS too omfg i would kill to have that mapper or any mapper for that matter that isnt just a F*****G viewer. Now im just rambbling but im soo po'ed... :x
"This is none of your affair... Just turn around and walk away"
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

your proposition could be harder than you think otherwise it would have been done. There is obviously some problem in actually making the created maps into the game in some way
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Actually, Tekno's question was dealt with in this thread.
Our Host!