Modern Warfare

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Modern Warfare

Post by Retlaw83 »

Perhaps I'm a couple of years late to this party, but what the fuck? My Xbox recently died so I bought a friend's practically new one. He gave me MW with it.

Haven't tried multiplayer but I can only imagine what a clusterfuck it is. What struck me about the single player campaign is there were a variety of actions I had to perform - swing from ropes, climb ladders, grab objectives, etc. What it boiled down to was hitting the X button so an animation would play making the character do it automatically. I shut it off near the end (?) of the first mission where the tanker fills with water - I kept getting "you went the wrong way!" or "you were too slow!" while the one doofus screamed at me to go to the right - despite the fact I was going every permutation of right I could see. Though I don't know if it was the idiotic design or the motion sickness that made me turn it off.

The shooting mechanics are fucking awful, and the auto-aim where you look down your scope twice both dumbs things down and is absolutely needed because it's impossible to aim your weapons.

All in all, it's shit. And they're going to come out with them yearly while idiots lap that garbage up.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Call of Duty 4 was only worth playing on the PC, the multiplayer, like every Call of Duty game, was a grenade filled clusterfuck of people screaming at one another on public servers, and "NO FUN ALLOWED" assholes in clan ladders.

As a joke my friend had is left mouse button bound as knife attack and his right as sprint. He would usually be near the top every round. This was before knifing got any perks so it was actually impressive to see him 30-20 using only a knife every round.

If you want a fun multiplayer game I suggest Team Fortress 2 despite what anyone else here may say. Also, its completely free now so there's no excuse not to at least try it.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

This is why I play RTS games.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Battlefield 3.

Most people are starting to see a pattern with CoD, if they don't well you wouldn't want to associate with them anyway.

High resolution D:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I also played that level Retlaw and gave up due to the very same issues. Shame, because I think it might actually be a decent game.

I thus never played #4 or any of the previous ones, but I did play WaW, MW2 and BO.

As for WaW, I never finished the single player campaign. Didn't really enjoy it and it wasn't particularly polished. Might give it a go some time though.
The multiplayer - on the other hand - was brilliant. I am a huge sceptic of FPSs (apart from CS 1.6) but I genuinely did enjoy WaW's MP immensely. This is mostly due to the new map packs though (which are free for the PC).

I enjoyed the campaign of MW2 a fair amount, but where I really got my fun was from Spec Ops - a series of extra missions that you can attempt at various difficulties. I had a ton of fun grinding through those on Veteran (they are designed for 2 players, so you can play with a friend or just alone). They take anything between 1-15 minutes per attempt so they are the perfect time killer when you only have a bit of spare time.
Never played the multiplayer.

Bought Black Ops when it came out. The lauded story was fairly mediocre in my opinion, and has a pseudo-logical plot "twist" to it really. I didn't think it was great and preferred the story of MW2 instead. The latter was far more coherent and better told. Also, as with WaW, Black Ops was made by Treyarch so there are some really fucking frustratingly annoying segments in the obviously linear single player.
I played a fair amount of multiplayer but only when my friend came over (he's a fan), so we'd take turns. It's definitely not a game that I can play for more than a couple of hours at a time and suffers from some major gameplay drawbacks. If you're on the PC, there are far better games out there. If you're on the console - well, what alternative do you have?

The "newer" CoD games aren't "bad" in their own right, they simply deliver a formula. If you don't like it, don't play it. I found it worthwhile to play through the campaigns etc, but only once. I'd steer away from the multiplayer.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Ignoring Treyarch because they're awful ITT

Post by Blargh »

Call of Duty was very briefly great for exactly one reason : ragtime warfare in CoD 4. Then the novelty wore off and the beast returned to being consistently terrible.

But hey, they've a huge, gibbering throng of purblind twats who seem to think their formula is the Absolute Best Thing since morris dancing. I could blame them for exploiting such a tumescent opportunity in arguably one of the most indolent fashions conceivable, but it would be a lie. :drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Isn't this like the McDonalds of the game world? Only they charge 60 bucks for every new <strike>game</strike> <strike>iteration</strike> <strike>map pack</strike> <strike>chapter</strike> slightly-different-plastic-box-with-basically-the-same-content?
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Lets spend 25 bucks on a map pack. Yeah brah, radical! Wait my moms calling me! But mom I already did the dishes! :duckie:
Cow Cud is a twin.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Since late to the party and console shooters seem to be the thread's thread, I'll take this chance to state that there's at least one console FPS that's remarkable in that it's actually good. Escape from Butcher Bay. First one since doom 3 that it looks like I'm going to bother finishing. Also probably best voice acting cast in a game evar.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

You are the only person I know of that bothered finishing Doom 3. It was more of a tech demo than a game.
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Used to play it baked, at night with headphones on on second to hardest difficult. T'was invigorating. Like a Dead Space with all the shit parts cut off and some actual challenge and tension. The numerical health values, the multiple simultaneous weapons, the no scripted events, the almost no cutscenes, the mazey level design, the frequent reloading... Aaah, I remember it (well, bits of it) fondly.

And I am the only person I know of that finished it.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Doom 3 pissed me off because I was a hardcore fan of the original two. All the bipedal monsters looking the same, enemies respawning in rooms you cleared, monster closets everywhere, and no spider demon killed it for me.
- the Vault Dweller
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Blargh wrote:Call of Duty was very briefly great for exactly one reason : ragtime warfare in CoD 4. Then the novelty wore off and the beast returned to being consistently terrible.
I don't know about that, I enjoyed previous CoD games as well, especially World at War and #2 wasn't half bad either. Black Ops' single player campaign had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through even if their was some scattered bugs here and there. I play multiplayer now when I just want some quick clean shooting matches and that's all it is really....
Tofu Man wrote:Isn't this like the McDonalds of the game world?
That's exactly what it is, I haven't purchased a single downloadable content because it's only worth it if you breath that shit.

As for Modern Warfare 2, that one was absolutely abysmal in terms of quality so 3 better pick up or else.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Retlaw83 wrote:Doom 3 pissed me off because I was a hardcore fan of the original two. All the bipedal monsters looking the same, enemies respawning in rooms you cleared, monster closets everywhere, and no spider demon killed it for me.
I could never get over the fact that you're a badass marine who can't figure out how to hold a flashlight and a pistol at the same time.
SenisterDenister

The duct tape mod made the experience immensely better.

Also, id released the idTech 3 engine online as open source, meaning that its free now. Expect a lot of Doom 3 total conversions.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Very true, and I used that mod quite abit, I just kinda have to wonder the logic of a game being stupidly annoying unless you have mods. It's like a page from the Bethesda playbook.
SenisterDenister

You don't even need to own Doom 3 to get access to idTech 3 now, its completely open source. There's probably a way that you can download the engine and put in files to give you a free (through loophole and thereby not technically illegal) copy of Doom 3.

What I'm hoping is to see some folks make a Team Fortress TC for it, since it first started on an idTech engine anyway.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

lol Doom 3 :lol:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

SenisterDenister wrote:What I'm hoping is to see some folks make a Team Fortress TC for it, since it first started on an idTech engine anyway.
Won't most people just go "meh" and keep using source, tho?
Stalagmite wrote:lol Doom 3 :lol:
It's better than oblivion, you cunt, shut up. :anger:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

You can't be an orc mercenary in Doom 3 :dance:

But really, I'd rather play Bad Company than some fagged up hellish/christian mythology psuedo shooter with weapon noises and mechanics that forces me into imagining the witnessing of and hearing 90 year old bag emptying out her contents in front of/on my face.
Our Host!