The Ressurected Stevie D Thread

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Stevie_D wrote:The only problem is, I can't see how I can use custom tiles in that way. Because I tried to put all of Senor Deluxe's custom tiles outside of the FoT/core folder system, I can't get to them, as the editor won't let me go any higher than the ...core/tiles folder.
I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that the file "tiles.txt" controls what directories are included for you tile plunking pleasure. It contains quite a few lines, all of them like this: F:\bos\tiles\BOS. Maybe we'll have to look into modifying this file in order get MOFO certification?
Stevie_D wrote:I notice both you, OTB and JJ86 have imported all the custom tiles you've wanted to use as sprites... am I mistaken in saying sprites aren't entities or tiles? How would I go about using them in that fashion, oh learned ones?
I don't use anything resembling a tile in my mod so far. All of the sprites are for items. JJ86, on the other hand, uses lots o' scenery sprites, but I think that has a lot to do w/what can be done w/them as opposed to single tiles. (For instance, you can have a Scenery Entity set up to display the sprite of a street sign and since you can assign a Display Name to a Scenery Entity the sign would have mouse-over text of your choosing. Scenery Sprites act as tiles in all other respects, so they can also have the advantage of doing things like letting you have a vehicle that can be used as cover, but not as a sort of pillbox. These were the first two issues that got us delving into the concept, BTW.)

Red wrote:However wether you go in the first or second "misc", it doesn't matter, as it'll list ALL the files in BOTH directories regardless. (So you needn't worry about choosing the right one).
Good point, Red, this was something that really confused me at first and almost kept me from using the -path command.

One thing I would add, is that you don't have to worry about over-writing the core camaign's map/entitities/etc. when using the -path command. If you do happen to have an attack of dumb-ass-itis and hit "Save" it will create a new version of that file in your custom directory. At that point you will no longer be able to open the original version, because no matter which one you click on you get the version in your custom directory.

That last big is why I always use a different filename, usually just adding "OTB_" in front of whatever the filename was. That also helps to keep your files lumped together nicely. (Although there are exceptions to this, like if I have tons of a certain core entity, then decide to make a change to it, I'll just leave the entity file name the same so that I don't have to go hunting for every last Nuka-Cola bottle, or something.)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Thanks, gents,

I won't be able to put this in to practise until after the weekend, because I've taken a few days off work, am relaxing at my folks' place and am pounding this out from their computer.
(For instance, you can have a Scenery Entity set up to display the sprite of a street sign and since you can assign a Display Name to a Scenery Entity the sign would have mouse-over text of your choosing. Scenery Sprites act as tiles in all other respects, so they can also have the advantage of doing things like letting you have a vehicle that can be used as cover, but not as a sort of pillbox. These were the first two issues that got us delving into the concept, BTW.)
I like the idea of using sprites in this fashion. Would it be easy to convert some of Senor D's tiles into scenery sprites?

Steve
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

tiles.txt is useless. I deleted it in fact (and have no .BOS files either), so it's totally useless...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Stevie D wrote:I like the idea of using sprites in this fashion. Would it be easy to convert some of Senor D's tiles into scenery sprites?
Check the tutorial section again. There you will find a tutorial detailing the creation of scenery sprites by the illustrious JJ86.
Red wrote:tiles.txt is useless. I deleted it in fact (and have no .BOS files either), so it's totally useless...
Ah, well now we know, and knowing is half the battle! Yo Joe!

(Hmmm...should I delete that to save a few KBs?)

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I wouldn't. not before we can verify with Section 8 at least. Don't forget that Red doesn't have the full version, so this might influence things a bit. I will test this and see.
Will have to change my tiles-tutorial accordingly if so. Btw, when I modified it and added too many paths I got a message saying: not enough memory.(didn't have anything else open). I found that strange so I thought, perhaps it is doing something peculiar, as I never got a similar message from a simple text file.
Red

Post by Red »

The "greateful provider" which send me the tiles send me the rest of the game, except for the music/sound and I've been running version 1.27 forever.

The files is useless.

I'll also remind you that I previously had the game (borrowed) but lost it during a OS reinstallation - and back then I deleted the file too.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Forty-six & Two wrote:
OnTheBounce wrote:However, the origin is not the starting location for characters. That is controlled by either a Spawn Point Entity, or where Main Character of Player Index 1 is located at. (I'm not sure exactly what logic the game uses to choose which character is the Main Character when placing prefabs. You'll have to tinker w/that one.)OTB
Methinks that the main char within the human team is the one closest to the Top of the map zone. Of course this only counts for preplaced chars on the map, not prefabs. Seems like that... from abit of testing. Even though its pretty wierd. :?
No. Thats not right....

Then what is?

Pretty anoying since I need a specific char to be main char in my "Shrine" map.

Well ill experiment some more, if no-one knows.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Forty-six & Two wrote:Pretty anoying since I need a specific char to be main char in my "Shrine" map.

Well ill experiment some more, if no-one knows.
I'm with you on this one, 46+2. In my current map I, too, need a specific character to be the MC. (Not an issue of game-play, but rather...well, it just wouldn't make sense to have any other character be the MC.)

Usually I've found that the last character placed on the map became the MC. However, on my current map I placed the characters in the order A, B, C, D and when I fired up the map they were sitting on the interface as A, B, C, D. I even tried fiddling w/combinations of position and order and still no luck. I'm thoroughly confused! :lol:

OTB

PS I'm gonna be choppin' and takin' pitchers today, so expect an email soon.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

OnTheBounce wrote:
I'm with you on this one, 46+2. In my current map I, too, need a specific character to be the MC. (Not an issue of game-play, but rather...well, it just wouldn't make sense to have any other character be the MC.)

Usually I've found that the last character placed on the map became the MC. However, on my current map I placed the characters in the order A, B, C, D and when I fired up the map they were sitting on the interface as A, B, C, D. I even tried fiddling w/combinations of position and order and still no luck. I'm thoroughly confused! :lol:

OTB

PS I'm gonna be choppin' and takin' pitchers today, so expect an email soon.
Hrmm. Well im having a hard time finding any logic. Ive tried doing the same combinations of placing chars and setting them up to their index... It seems pretty random. Although the last placed on map and in index yields the most MCs. Hrm. I donu.

My e-mail: Longblade@wanadoo.dk

//me happy because OTB is such a nice guy
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Technically, you could do a "switcheroo" to make the PCs be in the right order - just make triggers to change the PCs to NPCs, then switch 'em back in the order you want.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Technically, you could do a "switcheroo" to make the PCs be in the right order - just make triggers to change the PCs to NPCs, then switch 'em back in the order you want.
Wouldn't that fuck the AI up, though, for instance, requiring a Quick Save to let the player engage the Sentry Modes?

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, if you wanna be like that, you can have the actors start with a PI of 1, then use some triggers to switch 'em all to an NPC player index, then use some MORE triggers to swith 'em BACK to PCs, in the order you want.

That's actually what I "did but changed but might change it back" in Revenge1. I used the "double-switcheroo" method, but I forgot that floating speech doesn't work with a PC -> NPC switch, so I changed it (to get 'em to say stuff. Not just any stuff, though. Funny stuff!)

But, er... yea...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Hi, guys,

For old times' sakes, I've dusted off the ol' FoT editor. Goodbye the next month or so. ;)

Couple o' Qs, if you'd be so good:

- Is it possible to rig a critter so that only a head-shot can kill it?

- Is it possible to give a critter an attack that causes poison which doesn't dissipate? (ie: continues to sap the victim's health until they die)

- Is it possible to link a sound, or sounds, to a critter, and for that critter to utter it at random intervals until it dies?

Thanks,

Steve :)
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

I was going to say your on a tripple strike there, but doesn't poison continue to do damage until you've taken an antidote anyway? I remember playing one of MV's maps where I got poisoned and died before I could find any antidote. Not sure how travel on the world map affects that.

As for the other two, I can't think of any way to do the head shot thing, unless you muck around with the races.txt and edit the locmap settings for that race so when doing a targeted shot you only can choose the head/eyes. They'd still take damage from untargeted shots etc.

For the sounds, probably the only way to do it is to set up a trigger to see if the creature is wounded (unit/player has less than 100% attribute hitpoints IIRC) then use the action play wav. You could either set up a variable and timers to play different wavs every so often, or just have multiple triggers i.e.

has less than 100% play wav 1

has less than 70% play wav 2

has less than 40% play wav 3

and in the play wav command link it to the actor entity so the sounds are local to the actor.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Thanks, Req. I had a feeling the head-shot thing would draw a blank.

Would it be possible to rig it so that:

If creature has hitpoints > 0 then play x.wav local to the entity?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Stevie D wrote:Would it be possible to rig it so that:

If creature has hitpoints > 0 then play x.wav local to the entity?
Yeah sure, or you could use unit/player has less than 1 alive play wav x.wav etc etc.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

RARRRRRRR

Post by Stevie D »

OK, I downloaded this from NMA. Problem is, it's in .rar format. I only have Winzip and I don't really want to have more than one file decompressing-type-doohickey program taking up valuable hard drive space.

Could a kind soul please direct me to either a version of the tile-pack that's compatible with Winzip, or, failing that, a site where I could find a download manager that would let me open both .rar and the usual Winzip format files?

Thanks.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Well I have asked Retlaw to replace my tile packs on MV's Map Hub with it, perhaps he can put it as a zip rather than a rar?
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Well I have asked Retlaw to replace my tile packs on MV's Map Hub with it, perhaps he can put it as a zip rather than a rar?
Erg. I cannae find it. The link from MV's 'www' tab is taking me to error-page heaven. :?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

MV's www tab is probably pointing at the old domain, go via the link from the front page of DAC. Though I doubt Retlaw has had a chance to put it up yet as he was waiting for the server move before updating the site.
Our Host!