John Carmackameleon interviewed: Lots of Rage and nerdspeak

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

John Carmackameleon interviewed: Lots of Rage and nerdspeak

Post by Tofu Man »

Also, consoles are shit.

RPS transcription
JC (but not Christ. Or Denton) wrote: “When we started on the game six years ago, I looked at the consoles and said ‘These are as good as the PC’, and our development strategy was to develop live on all the platforms. And now we’re looking at PCs that have ten times the horsepower of the consoles. I’m making a large change in my direction just saying ‘We should be building things efficiently on the PC and then deploying on the consoles.’ And we didn’t make that as crisp of a distinction as we could have.

“My development system now has twenty four threads and twenty four gigs of memory, and we can start putting on half a terrabyte of solid state drives, and these are the things that are gonna drive the development process on the PC. I’m actually as excited about how we’re developing tht titles in this coming generation as the graphic enhancements and things that I’m gonna make.

“…it is unhappily true that we have these consoles here running at sixty frames per second, and we could have these massively more powerful PC systems that struggle sometimes to hold the same framerate because of unnecessary overheads. If we were programming that hardware directly on the metal the same way we do consoles, it would be significantly more powerful.�
Video
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/30 ... interview/

Good stuff, of what I watched meself. 2nd half for later.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Carmack is a good man sticking up for PC's and all that when the rest of the industry is basically shitting on us PC gamers.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

I appreciate how candid this guy is, whereas most in his position wouldn't stray to far from PR-speak.

3 things stand out.

First, considering he's apparently a programming genius, that he only wants to develop and optimize tools with which the actual artists can work with. +1

Second, considering he's the biggest tech geek on earth, that graphics are good enough as it is, time to start focusing on gameplay. +1

Lastly, considering he makes games, PC a viable market. +1

IIRC this guy hasn't done a single game that I'd consider a favorite, yet in this industry of Howards and Koticks, this is one guy that's the jan-u-wine ar-tee-cal. Respek.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

You act almost like you've never heard of Carmack, the inventor of DOOM. The man is a bona fide genius, read up on him. He made thermite as a kid to break into his school and steal computers to code, he's started his own company that makes rockets for space ships as a side project, and to top it of he is a programming genius. Hell, he even predicted the fall of John Romero with Daikatana through playing D&D with him.

He's a legend in the industry and to most computer gamers, at least any one whose been playing PC games for a long time.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Tofu Man wrote:IIRC this guy hasn't done a single game that I'd consider a favorite
:(

to quote manoil: "i am a disappointed son"
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

What do you think is going on in Russia right now
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Manoil wrote:What do you think is going on in Russia right now
Nothin' but a bunch of shit like always?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

“…it is unhappily true that we have these consoles here running at sixty frames per second, and we could have these massively more powerful PC systems that struggle sometimes to hold the same framerate because of unnecessary overheads. If we were programming that hardware directly on the metal the same way we do consoles, it would be significantly more powerful.�
There should be some type of thing where like when a game runs it's the only thing allowed to run on the computer so all the computer juice can be used to create bigger explosions.

Either way John Cormack looks like one of my 2nd cousins who is allergic to milk. I'll have to read up more on his history because that DnD game with John Romaro sounds kind of cool.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

He's just an evil nerd dude who created some very innovative games/weapons for the entire industry so you can't help but respect him... lots, but I sure as hell don't love him either.

The guy invented FPS and all the fun that comes with it. I think he has a few popular sci fi weapons to his credit as well, like the rail gun, which I think the US government has developed actually but I don't know any details.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

SenisterDenister wrote:You act almost like you've never heard of Carmack
Not really, hence the "considerings". It's that last I heard of him he was designing a rocket ship for that X-Space something or other with the million dollar prize thingy, and since then we've mostly been limited (outside of Mattchats) to hearing from games people who know marketing and I found it refreshing to hear from a games person that knows games.

I wouldn't call him a legend, but then that isn't a word I use to describe people. Unless they're legendary assholes.
Gimp Mask wrote:
Tofu Man wrote:IIRC this guy hasn't done a single game that I'd consider a favorite
:(
Quick, name one id game you'd take to a deserted island. Over Fallout. Over Civilization. Over Pirates. Over Theme Park, Sword of the Samurai, Deus Ex, Thief, Dungeon Keeper, VtMB, Blade Runner, I dunno. What do you like? Half-Life, Total War, Counter Strike, Grim Fandango?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

depends on the island. is it like a paradise island because then i'd take flip-flops and a pina colada and leave computer games at home.

so you just have a different taste in games and prefer a park building simulator over a hard-core fps action experience - fair enough. for the rekkid i would definitely take say doom over most the games you listed.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Well, yeah to be fair Hospital was an oversight of sorts. Couldn't remember anything so I typed it, and don't get me wrong I played it loads and I liked but nowadays i'd probably rather play doom instead. Oh well.

flip-flops and piña colada'd beat the shit out of that plan tho, who needs fucking computers in a paradise island :drunk:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Tofu Man wrote:who needs fucking computers in a paradise island :drunk:
D: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/profi ... le&u=11468 D:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

HA. kid just needs his knob polished. then all he'll use the pc for is to spam DaC with pictures of naked women. Then again he might just start arbitrarily pasting vaginas into his "art".
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Yeah...Carmack, sure he was innovative in the build a better bazooka kind of way, but straight FPS it's just running down hallways blowing shit up, never stimulated the cockles of my prostate.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

When we started on the game six years ago, I looked at the consoles and said ‘These are as good as the PC’, and our development strategy was to develop live on all the platforms. And now we’re looking at PCs that have ten times the horsepower of the consoles. I’m making a large change in my direction just saying ‘We should be building things efficiently on the PC and then deploying on the consoles.’ And we didn’t make that as crisp of a distinction as we could have.

This is how it should be, honestly console exclusive gamers wouldn't tell the difference regardless.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Dead thread is dead.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

i only play recent games on consoles now because either my pc is shit or games on pcs look like chugging shit nowadays its pretty dichotomous when u think about it :) on the other hand i am a old school son of a junkyard dog who takes no prisoners and only really plays old games if ever now if u no what i mean im from a generation where an x-box was a treasure chest you shoved all your ex-wifes junk in and a ipad was a bandage you put on your face when you got shot playing hockey sticks in the street sippin old spice and only being able to stand 1 metre from the phone jk but never mind the point still stands prob??!
:chew:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Stalagmite wrote: I think he has a few popular sci fi weapons to his credit as well, like the rail gun, which I think the US government has developed actually but I don't know any details.

Ancient idea, but never got it to work well enough in RL for actual deployment.

Yet.
Our Host!