When swell guy become slaves

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

When swell guy become slaves

Post by PiP »

and injuns are made away with, too.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... e-n-word/1

What do you think about this new politically-correct adjustments of Twain's work?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I think it's deplorable whenever some overly-sensitive twat tries to sanitize history. It was common usage back then, and is a symbol of what society was like in those times.

You can find quite a few historical quotes that have been cleaned up like this: as a light example, Starship Troopers, both the book and movie, quotes the World War I line, "C'mon you apes, you want to live forever?" When it was first uttered, "apes" was "sons of bitches."
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

In removing the word you remove the essential discussion...about racism.

It was written post-Civil War and supposed to challenge notions of racism, so it kind of defeats the purpose to read the book at all if they edit racist words out.
Last edited by Cimmerian Nights on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Just to stay PC, I will henceforth refer to all black people as slaves.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

It's funny that the N word shows up on the front page hot topic list, but in here it's swell guy.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

when did flower become swell guy? What is this shit >:(
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I suggested swell guy in place of faggot, because that would lead to lols, but I didn't know they also did it for nigger.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

In removing the word "nigger" from Huckleberry Finn they're not only removing a word that is an essential part of addressing the racism problem in America but it is removing the very authenticity of the times in which the book was written, and Twain, as a man of his time, had those books in there for a purposeful and powerful reason and removing virtually removes the potency of his message as an anti-racial voice of his time, but does more in making him seem racist in this touchy-feely bullshit political correctness of today.

It would be like removing the adultery in The Scarlett Letter.

I saw this on the news last night and the advocate for changing it (and the person rewriting it) is an old white man and when they interviewed people who were against it most, if not all, of the black people they talked to said removing nigger from the book was a bad idea.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Retlaw83 wrote:I think it's deplorable whenever some overly-sensitive twat tries to sanitize history. It was common usage back then, and is a symbol of what society was like in those times.
maybe by censoring it isnt a symbol of what society is like in OUR times :?

jk its bullshit fucken old cunt. next theyll take out all references that germany were nazis in ww2 and dub it all in alien speak. alien nazis.
PiP

Post by PiP »

they already use the word nazis instead of Germans when referring to anything not nice done by Germans in 30s-40s.

In 50 years' time, it will be "Bush troops" that invaded Iraq, not America, lol.

Also, Thor :hug:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

PiP wrote: In 50 years' time, it will be "Bush troops" that invaded Iraq, not America, lol.
Hahahaha
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

lol, awesome. :salute:
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

When did everthing go wrong? First we end up in a war with the sand monkeys, then we lost all of our money to the chinks, and now we aren't allowed to read books set in an era before the term Afro-(place country of origin here).

I blame the kikes.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

I call bullshit on the whole argument.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Strange times, these, when a word, rather than the intent with which it is uttered, is to blame for all the intolerance and animosity of our past and present.

Alan Gribben needs to get raped by a 6ft nigga.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Let them have pablum.

Post by Blargh »

Umbrage seems a bit premature, as THEY have yet to petition for the removal from circulation or destruction of any copy that does not conform to their admittedly utterly daft vision.

Probably won't be too long, though. :drunk:
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Samuel Clemens dynamo is at full power!
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

swell guy
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Nígger.

Fạggot.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Most people miss the point that Twain was trying to make. This was a world in which the "gentleman" reigned supreme and yet all these "swell guy" especially swell guy Jim were not only more gentlemanly but also generally better people than the "gentlemen" of the time. Still however, because of the social rules and stigmas of the times these "swell guy" who were better people than the "whites" would never be able to rise above the level of "swell guy" because of how things were. Read not only "Huckleberry Finn" but also the rest of his works to see how anti-racism Samuel Clemens really was. Did he write under the name "Mark Twain" because he was worried about the paparazzi? No. He used the ghost name because he was worried that his anti racist positions would threaten his life. He was a great parodist and humanist. As an Anthropologist I have to say that censoring Mark Twain's work is a disservice not only to America, but the world in general.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Our Host!