My Suggestion May Have Fallen on Deaf Ears Fallout New Vegas

Discuss Obsidian's Vegas Fallout game here. Also: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter and other new dairy products from Bethesda's farm that don't have separate forums here yet.
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

My Suggestion May Have Fallen on Deaf Ears Fallout New Vegas

Post by Cakester »

I have tested some of my idea, but this was for fallout3 as New Vegas Script Extender is not out yet.

I want to achieve precipitation that won't fall through static objects.
I want to experiment with flooding that also does not pass through objects in its path.

In the GECK we are able to view a WorldSpace's Heightmap and export it. The result is split into 4 raw textures, one being each quadrant.

I believe I can take the player's position for X and Y and use it to locate the Height value in one of those textures. The player's X and Y can be either

positive or negative. Starting from the middle of the height map It is the 0 for x and 0 for y, and the negative and positive values follow a standard

cartesian plane depending on what quadrant you venture into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carte ... tes_2D.svg

Obviously taking the player's x and y and multiplying them is a very bad idea in order to find the index which contains the height value at your player's

location. For programmers at-least, the reason is it is possible for the x or y to be negative when the values are taken straight from the player's

position, the end result is a no no when accessing indexes of an array.

Some math will need to be done to counter that.

Another thing is depending on the quadrant the starting point will be in a different corner. For those of you who work in a 2D Paint program, the top left

would be the 0, 0 of your image. (The starting point from which your data is commonly read in from the file. )

I hope that gives you a rough idea of some things to take care with.

Moving on! Being able to have an accurate way to read z values (height values) by just calling a function with both a x and y value, you can use the height

map data and determine any Z.

My strategy then goes as follows:
1. Find the player x and y.
2. Read the surrounding radius of terrain for height values.
3. Use these height values to calculate where fluid for flood should be spawned or in the case of precipitation how far the rain should fall before

splashing.

For performance reasons some algorithms may be necessary because terrain can be highly detailed to just simulate a rain drop to touch down on every spot in

even occasion heavy down pours.

For flooding a conditional check is not required for every spot on the terrain against every fluid ounce of water. I think the CPU happy way is probably just

to use the already existed data loaded for the terrain in your area of the game, and somehow generate a thin water surface based on that. Maybe through a

simple shader we deform that water mesh or what have you to give us the effect we want.

Ok so whether or not you agree with how the visuals will be generated, I am certain using the height map from the world-space is legit and is very much

likely the way to do some neat things.

So what I have not explained is how we will prevent precipitation from falling through objects or floods from not passing through objects.

Well the first thing to try is to just use a bounding boxes that roughly surround the objects. Bounding Box collision detection is very fast. It may be as

simple as taking the bottom quad of the boxes, and from it subtract that from the visual. In the case of floods that should work, and for rain depending on

how picky you are, you may want to have rain fall until it reaches the roof.

Performance... performance.. performance. We probably want a consistent area to be covered but also have that area always stay in the player's view so he or

she does not reach it pre-maturely and breaks the immersion.

It could be done by cell. Say we want the whole cell the player is located in to have these floods and rain, then we can expect the effect to not influence

anything outside the cell. But what if the player is near or reaches a border of two cells or maybe even three? Perhaps we could script these weather effects

to sort of weaken .

It could also be trivial to find the objects in a player's circle no matter where he is, no matter the border of the cells.

Some may be skeptic. If you are, lolz. I think anyone who has been around long enough could suggest some way of using Heightmaps to do a similar or different

thing. This is just a combination of some of my own ideas and knowledge others have offered up (often for free, see gamedev)

If it is any comfort to anyone, I have already wrote a program that can atleast find legit height values relative to my player's location. Maybe my test

program is way off in being accurate, but it worked seemingly in a way that supports what I was aiming for.

Quadrant is important though, I had crashes until I realized that my player's x and y had a mismatch in positive/negative signs when i compared to the ones

in the Heightmap editor for GECK.

ONE LAST THING:
If it was already possible for Fallout 3 using FOSE, I am sorry, and I would like a guide. For the Scene Graph, how do I draw objects or influence it? I know

OBSE has a good deal of things that no one has yet to bother to convert for Fallout 3. This is one thing, that if not already available, I really would like

for New Vegas. I really need a way to do the visuals, and I was lectured by Ian Patt for my dirty low level v-table hooking of fallout 3's graphics.
I been K-lined, G-lined, and Kalvin Klein'd. Nevermind , my kicks, temp bans, perma bans and accusations that i use contraband. i am a hardcore troller, from when i get out of bed, till i fall asleep contemplating the new trolls that lay ahead. 24/7 the net is active, gotta preemptive or be two two puh packive
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

bitch it don't rain in fallout there's no water. its called fallout because the water fell out of the world.

also if there was a Fallout movie somebody would say "I don't want to FALL OUT. BROTHER, HOOD OF STEEL is heavy youre right . Tactics." also the chosen one would be played by hurley from lost.
:chew:
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

solution: beth should've made an engine where precipation doesn't go through rooves shit doesn't make sense swell guy

everything else in this thread is irrelevent (except that the chosen one would be played by hurley that's just badass)
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

Simplywayne90
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Simplywayne90 »

Ha speaking of fat vault dwellers! I just watched that video on the DAC homepage Fallout Nuka Break, that was great,
Also I'm sure that absolutely no one cares about this topic since we now have rain in Fallout New Vegas and everything.
Still I'm new and I have to catch up on everything on this forum I guess.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Amis wrote:Image
I guess this is the teaser poster for the Fallout movie.
TheCynic
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by TheCynic »

Still I'm new and I have to catch up on everything on this forum I guess
It's not worth it, I promise.
"Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects." -- Roger Zelazny
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

TheCynic wrote:It's not worth it, I promise.
Its worth a BJ.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Everything cakester's ever said has fallen on deaf ears.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Yonmanc wrote:Everything cakester's ever said has fallen on deaf ears.
As relevant now as it was then
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

A history of domestic imbalance.

Post by Blargh »

What is the half-life of a 'Yonmanc' post ? :chew:

:drunk:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Since I fail to see the allegory in that, I think I'll just say "Blargh".
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Play me a song upon a harp strung with Failure.

Post by Blargh »

I'd ask you to refrain from responding to comments you do not comprehend, but that would render your presence here almost nil. What a shame. :drunk:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

It's kind of difficult to comprehend something that makes not a pint of sense any way you look at, but sorry if it causes you butthurt when/if I point it out.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Dreddy and Stalagmite use the word butthurt a lot. Is all of Australia two years behind the times or just them?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

OOOOOO CHIRPS, NIGGA
-----------------------------------------------------------Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Retlaw83 wrote:Dreddy and Stalagmite use the word butthurt a lot. Is all of Australia two years behind the times or just them?
Actually you use it all the time. I barely use it at all. And if I do I usually mean you. You're boring. Like your short stories. :giggle:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

NO U

Post by Blargh »

BEHOLD : Autocrat of Objective Meaning wrote:pint
Ahahahahaha. You piteous bastard. :drunk:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Alister McFap II Esq. wrote:You're boring. Like your short stories. :giggle:
That might almost mean something if you actually read them instead of complaining that reading is too hard for you.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

I think we may have a civil war here, on DaC
-----------------------------------------------------------Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Our Host!