Alpha Protocol

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Yeah, I checked it out. Apparently the issue isn't resolved yet, so I'll just kick back and wait for a patch. B)
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Taco-Hero wrote:Wasn't there a Metal Gear Solid game or something that made it look like your computer/console crashed but was just an illusion?
Arkham Asylum - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhtTF26KeE
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

I regret trading that in, twas a fun game :(
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Yonmanc wrote:I regret trading that in, twas a fun game :(
I beat it just recently, and I'm giving it my stamp of approval. :yes:
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

I've had fun with it. My only complaint is that when you choose your "dialog/action" options it doesn't tell you what you're choosing. It's pretty straightforward on the dialog (key presses correspond to suave/belligerent/professional/end) and the learning curve on that is pretty easy. It's the actions in dialog that give me problems because you have two options (again doesn't tell you ANYTHING) and they don't seem to correspond with the same type of action every time. Don't mind that so much in the dialog but if it's not the same button to shoot someone every time you wind up getting frustrated.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Dang it. I kinda screwed

I saw this 'Veteran' option at the beginning, which got me interested. But I didn't realize you'd actually have to choose 'Recruit' in the beginning, because I somehow thought it was just a difficulty level choice and the class choices above (soldier, field agent etc.) were the only classes you could choose. So that my first play-through would automatically be 'Recruit', I'd just have to choose some of those classes.

I thought wrong. Damn it. I thought at first that it must've been a bug since I couldn't choose 'Veteran' after completing the game. But then I read the descriptions of 'Recruit' and 'Veteran' a bit more carefully and now I'm just pissed. Anyone know a quick and simple cheat to unlock the Veteran class? I couldn't be bothered to play it all the way through again with the Recruit...
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Due to the structure of the narrative, another play through should be far less onerous a prospect than most other games. Give it a few weeks ?

Just be certain to play it with drastic contrast to your previous run and you to can be a wunderkind-spook-who-everyone-underestimates-until-it's-too-late-with-a-filthy-vagrant-beard-paedophile-glasses-and-a-ushanka (though that last part only works in Moscow, unfortunately) and marvel at all the ways in which the threads diverged while still becoming the same bitter tapestry ?

Or not. :drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Alternatively LERN 2 RED BETTAR

:drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Or, you could try this³. :drunk:

³ - really though, try recruit at some point.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Does the 'Recruit' game mode really differ that much from the others? Besides just being a bit harder?

But hey, thanks for the unlocker.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

The main difference between recruit and the other options is that if you choose recruit then you don't start off with any skill points so it's more of a build the character you want type of situation. The other difference is that apparently you get special "recruit" options in dialog but I haven't found any of them yet.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

<strike>You get a handful of 'Recruit' ('Enthusiasm Does Not Compensate for Gormlessness' was probably too wordy) dialogue opportunities, most of which are available during the initial Greybox intro, with which you can make Thorton sound particularly unlikeable². And ten (thirteen ?) of the thirtyish points one loses on that background choice. Also, the necessity of doing more with less.</strike> No, not really. Fluff ? Ehue.

Veteran offers a number of more substantial comments, including some that actually affect the plot. And some eggs. :drunk:

²Most of Thortonspeak had this effect, I found. Onus upon voice actor, rather than writer(s) ? Both ? Four varieties of smug prick ? Tyranny of choice !
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The 'three JBs' is a quite accurate description of the dialogue.

Professional = Jason Bourne
Suave = James Bond
Aggressive = Jack Bauer

...aaand the stupid thing is, that around 80 % of the characters you meet go nuts for the Jason Bourne -dialogue. Being Jack Bauer usually just gets them mad at you and going James Bond ends up with less hatred involved disliking. Oh well, nothing that a good ol' Action = terminate dialogue with a gunshot -choice wouldn't cure.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

What a shame. :drunk:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I've been playing it. Almost done with Taipei (chose it as my second op) and I've only encountered one bug.

The combat was annoying at first, but gets better as you level up and get used to it. I even don't mind that the camera is so close that it's inserted in Thorton's rectum anymore.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Taipei is in the game? Now I have to play it.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

King of Creation wrote:Taipei is in the game? Now I have to play it.
Don't get your hopes up, though. It's mostly just dark allies and office buildings. It could be situated anywhere and it would fit.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Don't forget the subway. In the alternate history that is the Alpha Protocol universe, the subway is a uniquely Taiwanese invention. Yet to be replicated beyond its borders, primarily due to the dedication and efforts of OMEN DENG, anime reject !

'GOOD FIELDCRAFT, AGENT THORTON.', said OMEN DENG, anime reject ! as his cape billowed threateningly about him. Clearly, he was just trying to blend in with the locals.

A shame they dispensed with Mitsoda. :drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

And yet another game ignores Moscow's subway system. :) Guess I'll have to get Metro 2033, though I'm really past shooters at this stage.

And a shame the persecution AP's been the victim of.
Maybe it'll turn into some sort of a Blade Runner of gaming, something whose sales bomb, and whose proper appraisal is marred by the overwhelming bioware/bethesda fanboyism and on-the-take reviewers. Maybe in the future it'll get the praise it actually deserves.

Oh and as much of a cliche she is, I gotta say I loved Sie.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Machiavelli wrote:The main difference between recruit and the other options is that if you choose recruit then you don't start off with any skill points so it's more of a build the character you want type of situation. The other difference is that apparently you get special "recruit" options in dialog but I haven't found any of them yet.
So recruit is more of a clean slate then?

Other than skill allocation, does picking any of the predefined dudes have any appreciable effects on gameplay? (beyond what doors their skills would open up?)

I'm keeping this one on the back burner for now, it runs like shit on my PC.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Our Host!