Mass Effect 2 - I hate buying legit copies of games

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Kashluk

Mass Effect 2 - I hate buying legit copies of games

Post by Kashluk »

I bought Mass Effect 2. And it fucking sucks how much trouble I need to go through to get this shit installed. First of all, it has two different sets of serial keys (wtf?), but the worst trouble began before I could even hit the [install]-button. Both of the discs show up empty: there's only a file called desktop.ini on both. I guess it's some sort of anti-piracy bullshit motherfucking crap, but all it does is make my product unusable.

The workaround I found on the internet was to download and install Daemon Tools(!) and turn the discs into .iso-files so I could mount them.

How fucking lovely. We'll see how this goes.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I had none of those problems, but then again I bought it off Steam. Good luck.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Aparently the game for ethreesixttttttttty was twaodisc so its pr obaly the same dieal
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

DRM is ruining gaming. I bought Splinter Cell conviction for my computer, but I'm almost afraid to install it as it might provide Ubisoft a gateway to owning my soul like the fridge from Ghostbusters. There is no Walt, there's only Zuul, motherfucker, Zuul.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah, apparently the DRM does not compute with my Samsung Super Writemaster DVD-RW drive. If my girlfriend didn't own a laptop (on which the discs actually work!), I would've been screwed.

So now I'm copying those files on to her HDD, after which I will transfer the files to my computer through LAN and then... I guess I'll just have to turn those files into fucking ISO disc images, the ones I could've downloaded from PirateBay in the first place.

Jesus fucking Christ. I really hate being honest and paying for my games.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I knew a guy who owned the Gold edition of FEAR and the only way he could get it to work is by pirating it. If he ever tried to use his legitimate copy it would tell him to insert the legitimate copy.

Really - DRM is just the game industry trying to kill off PC gaming so they can control the market better with console gaming.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Re: Mass Effect 2 - I hate buying legit copies of games

Post by VasikkA »

Kashluk wrote:How fucking lovely. We'll see how this goes.
Steel be with you, paladin :salute:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

By most accounts the pirates aren't having much fun with it either. Though for entirely different reasons. Ehue. :drunk:
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

people who buy shit games itt
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

entertainer wrote:people who buy shit games dotdotdot
When the publisher and or/devs smear their feces on the game before you buy it, it's unavoidable. Some things don't wash off. All that DRM anger on Amazon and youtube is still relevant today.

Now when I buy a game, it involves how much patience I have to wait for an 'enhancement' (crack/workaround/mod) while the game sits on the shelf til I can play it. Or I have to go through the tech chasing hoop jumping that Gimp Mask described...

I feel for gamers. Never had to crack or pirate before a year ago.

Moronics is the new greed bastard.
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

On the upside the game itself has some memorable moments, mostly two likable characters. Right when it threatened to be too repetitive a reprieve from the "go here, fight, good job!" missions is had. This is not to say that these do not make up a majority of the game.
It may not be saying much thanks to the competition, but this is the richest setting in a new scifi game that I've encountered.
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

Moments are nice, but is a worthy game experience too much to ask in this world of bean-counting-bury-the-bar milk-jobbing?
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Eventually I got the wanker to work.

Aaaand... It's actually better than I expected. Pretty nice sci-fi role-playing action. Repetitive at certain points, sure, but well written dialogue and nicely moving story keep the shit flowing.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I'm still on the moon in Mass Effect part one. D:
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

VasikkA wrote:I'm still on the moon in Mass Effect part one. D:
I got rid of it. Then stupidly bought it again thinking "I didn't give it enough of a try and everyone seems to like it"

4 months ago I was at one of the bits were those snake things burst from the ground and destroy your vehicle instantly.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I've never had a problem with DRM before but I would be pretty mad about it not working if there was no alternatives. You can probably buy the game and then just pirate it to keep a clean conscience.

Either way I liked Mass Effect 2 for all the same reasons you like it Kashluk and also it had a very action movie type of feel to me in which you have to recruit some hardcore people to fight some bad guys and that's pretty much it. Something so simple about the story but cool made it pretty memorable.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The continuity is also nice. You know, some (rather small, but still) decisions carrying all the way from part one to the yet-to-come part three. With all the variations in between with part two.

But god damn it, I do hate how they try to cater to the teenage audience with alien cleavage.
It's just ridicilous. That specific character is supposed to be some bad-ass fuck-you-attitude warrior. And she jumps around in war zones and uncharted space territories with her tits showing around. It's just plain stupid.

And, Pooper, about the whole action movie part... Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2WhVMI ... re=related
sydneyroo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sydneyroo »

Maybe they'll just be saying to download cracked version right in the manual provided legit one doesn't work.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

lol at having to use daemon tools :chuckel:
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

On the other hand that boobed alien has one of my favorite missions associated with her.
Our Host!