whats good on steam nowada

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Been playing Team Fortress 2 after many great memories of TFClassic back in the day.

I don't know what's wrong, no more grenades, the maps seem more linear and funnel like. It's the same game, and granted I'm a little rusty. \

But I'm just not feeling it. :?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
sydneyroo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sydneyroo »

TF2 is too casual in my opinion. The gameplay is often random and chaotic unlike CSS where your skills is what really matters.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:Been playing Team Fortress 2 after many great memories of TFClassic back in the day.

I don't know what's wrong, no more grenades, the maps seem more linear and funnel like. It's the same game, and granted I'm a little rusty. \

But I'm just not feeling it. :?
i think the biggest mistake they made was adding all sorts of crap, i liked it more when it had just the classic maps and some new ones, like some of the payload maps are great. also the achievement shit for earning new guns probably seemed like a good idea but is in fact pretty lame, i dont want to play some class for a billion hours just so i'm as well equipped as the next guy (who probably went to some special map server to get the achievements anyway). another issue are the 32 player servers (read: all of them), 24 or even 16 works so much better but the servers are pretty scarce.

i played it tons in the beginning but haven't played it for a year or so, this coming from a soldado who played TF1 for a billion hours until all the cheators arrived on teh scene :gnasher: should probably reinstall it and play with my dac buddies because it's still the best game of the recent years
TF2 is too casual in my opinion. The gameplay is often random and chaotic unlike CSS where your skills is what really matters.
cs OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone lol
i havent played cs since olden days of 2/3/6 but i'd say tf2 requires much more teamplay, even though the players rarely realise it because they're too bizzay running and gunning whatever in fact let's not have this argument
also nothing wrong with casual B) :hardcoregamer:
sydneyroo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sydneyroo »

When you stumble on the teamplay-oriented server the game can be quite fun to be frank. It's just that most servers are filled with newbies who got too much time on their hands. I kinda liked TF Classic, not this cartooney shit. Now, that was fuckin' teamplay.
Last edited by sydneyroo on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I'm in the same boat with Gimp Mask in regards to TF2, I used to play the hell out of it until they started adding the achievements in, I was always more of a Day of Defeat player myself, though; but I think it'd be fun to play with some of you guys.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Yeah, I couldn't turn TFC off but TF2 it's like just going through the motions.

I'm coming to the same conclusions you guys are.
What a pity, cause it's not total shit or anything, it's just ... blah(rg?).

Maybe I'm going to the wrong servers, but all the maps I've played are very linear, and narrow, like a strip almost. So there's a shitload of running the same straight line to get back to the front. Whereas before, maps seemed more wide, more alternate paths for different types. Then I seem to get stuck with this map where you have to push the cart down the tracks.
Tracks. How much more linear can it get?

And yeah, on some of these 32 player sizes it's just sloppy chaos.
I'm not fond of acheivements, and they seem like the only reason to keep playing.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
sydneyroo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sydneyroo »

I found a class of spy being the most engaging of all even though it's tough bitch to play with.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

By a mile, the most tactical FPS out there is Counterstrike 1.6.
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:By a mile, the most tactical FPS out there is Counterstrike 1.6.
You never played Operation Flashpoint?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

ekkaman wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:By a mile, the most tactical FPS out there is Counterstrike 1.6.
Yes I have. Flashpoint is completely different as a concept from CS, and accordingly, it is not fit for competetive gaming.
CS 1.6 has been a competetive game since what like 2000? Most of the maps are 10 years old and have been played to death, however the tactics in the game keep evolving. Many of the players who are in the top now have been playing since release. Since they all have insane skill and game sense, it is the tactics that put one team apart from the other. Before major tournaments, and the night before the match, clans look at demos of each others' games and figure out their tactics in order to make counter tactics.
It's really fucking excessive, but the prize pools of major tournaments are tens of thousands of dollars, so why not.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Christ almighty, not another CS derail.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
ekkaman wrote:
Yes I have. Flashpoint is completely different as a concept from CS, and accordingly, it is not fit for competetive gaming.
CS 1.6 has been a competetive game since what like 2000? Most of the maps are 10 years old and have been played to death, however the tactics in the game keep evolving. Many of the players who are in the top now have been playing since release. Since they all have insane skill and game sense, it is the tactics that put one team apart from the other. Before major tournaments, and the night before the match, clans look at demos of each others' games and figure out their tactics in order to make counter tactics.
It's really fucking excessive, but the prize pools of major tournaments are tens of thousands of dollars, so why not.
Played both CS and OFP competetivly yes differnt games but still FPS, clan matchs in OFP in CTI mod had just as much planning going into games as i have seen in CS, but never did win money playing OFP, did win a shit motherboard in a CS game once.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I find it humorous that Ekkaman gets up in arms about me being fat, but his life is so meaningless he had enough time to devote to play video games at a professional level.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I thought your main argument was with MR Snake ?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Shit motherboard for winners? This thread just got srs bsns.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

Retlaw83 wrote:I find it humorous that Ekkaman gets up in arms about me being fat, but his life is so meaningless he had enough time to devote to play video games at a professional level.
Get back in your corner you fat troll. Dont have much time to play at all just when i do im pro i guess.I on other hand find it funny your still pissed i called you fat fatty, live with it or diet. :dance:
Last edited by ekkaman on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

jetbaby wrote:Shit motherboard for winners? This thread just got srs bsns.
Didnt win came 5th at some shitty nerd convention freind talked me into going to.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

ekkaman wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:
ekkaman wrote: You never played Operation Flashpoint?
Played both CS and OFP competetivly yes differnt games but still FPS, clan matchs in OFP in CTI mod had just as much planning going into games as i have seen in CS, but never did win money playing OFP, did win a shit motherboard in a CS game once.
Ok man, you know what you're talking about.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

ekkaman wrote: Dont have much time to play at all just when i do im pro i guess.
Yeah, Frenchy, I'm sure you're so skilled at videogames you can play them professionally without practice.

I'm guessing you street race and hussle pool on the side because you're so awesome?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

doesnt everyone?
typos are bound to happen. fuck it
Our Host!